Large or Small Driving lights on my 1939 DeSoto

desoto1939

As many of you know I recently got a fantastic deal on a pair of almost NOS Trippe Senior Driving lights with the Trippe mounting brackets. These light are approx 8 inch in diameter.

The trippe lights were used on the more upscale cars but will provide me with additional frontal lighting.

The Trippe lights are period correct since they have the old 32 candle power bulb versus the sealed beam bulb on my smaller lights and these are not period correct because sealed beam lights di not become available until 1940.

I have placed the Trippe Lights and the smaller driving lights on the front bumper mount. I am trying to get more light on the road when coming home from cruise night shows and to be more safe on the road at night or when it is dusk.

So I have attached picture with both big and small lights on the car.  I would like some honest opinions, you can not offended me with your reply.

The placement of the lights are just temporary so I can get other owners thoughts.util

Thanks,

Rich Hartung

IMG_7363.JPG.97a98c13f4269c4a317496e0a0657209.JPGimage.png.1585ae76601cf1a1367b43e4168b69c7.png

Small lights will probably look better, and I would experiment with different placement options. Also, try stepping farther away from the car to get some pictures with less geometrical distortion.

Moreover, I've noticed that you are running a 1939 Penna plate. I actually do the same, but for 1940. However, this is sort of nonsense because cars manufactured in the 1939 or 1940 would not have their plate expiring in the same year 😋

• Like 1

Ivan: Thanks for the input.  I was thinking of moving the big lights outward to have them between the regular headlights and the bumperettes so that the gril would be more visible and to improve the esthetics of the front of the car. More like the small light that you see when looking at the car on the right and then will have to reposition the Pa tag.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

I would go with the smaller lights that are still quite big. I used some amber fog lights, which are sealed beam, on my 1938 Chrysler which I have since sold. I used them as signal lights. The bigger lights you show are out of proportion in my opinion. 

IMG_2677.jpeg.9c363ebd06544f58338050f6aa2b3ef9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

More like the small light that you see when looking at the car on the right

I am thinking that might look a bit awkward. Try it, to see how it looks to you. I would probably try placing them next to the bumper "teeth" but on the inside, toward the center of the car like on Robert's illustration. Also, don't forget to check under the bumper placement.

I think fog lights should be smaller than the regular headlights. Not just a little smaller but enough smaller that it is apparent on first glance.

The headlights on your '39 are a bit larger than 7" sealed beams but I don't think quite large enough that the ratio looks right to me to use the 8" Trippe Lite Seniors.

I agree with Tods point, generally fog or driving lights for asthetic reasons should be smaller than the main headlights.........the Trippe lights are very close to the size of the 39 DeSoto headlights and in my opinion seem too large for the overall appearance.......my Oz 2 cents worth..........andyd   

I prefer the smaller lights.  To me, the proportions of the bigger lights just do not look right, they block too much of the grill's aesthetics, and they make the car look like you're going for an MG outfitted for the rally circuit look.  If you're wanting auxiliary driving lights (vs. fog lights, in my mind there is a difference), I wouldn't worry too much about being period correct when it comes to safety.  Everything I find about driving lights circles back to headlights and specifies what you already know about sealed beam headlights being introduced in 1940.  No mention that I can find yet regarding when sealed beam lamps may have been introduced for other applications.  My thinking is that things like a sealed beam headlight may have been introduced as an accessory item such as aux. lights or fog lights for a few years first to make sure they work.  That's just a "maybe", though.  I would be itching to put those Trippe lights to good use, too.      

Being a function over form kind of guy myself and based on what the OP wants them for I would temporarily rig one light of each up, with separate switches and see how they perform at night before I made any permanent decisions.

On the same thinking as Todd, personally the Trippe lights in my opinion should be held in reserve for a car a bit larger....but again, just my opinion.  They overshadow the regular lights....whereas the smaller units appear as a highlight and while attractive, do no command all the attention when viewed.  

I too favour the smaller driving lights. Your big boys compete for attention with the headlights and the overall effect suffers, IMO.

If I owned that lovely DeSoto, I would install the smaller lamps, not far above the bumper and comfortably within the bumperettes as with my '47 D25 below. Too close together and the grille is crowded over.

My two driving lamps don't add much to the night driving experience (and no problem, the headlights are H6006 halogen sealed beams), but they do contribute to the car's rugged road-warrior vibe, a look both pleasing and accurate.

47D driving lights.jpeg

7 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I prefer the smaller lights.  To me, the proportions of the bigger lights just do not look right, they block too much of the grill's aesthetics, and they make the car look like you're going for an MG outfitted for the rally circuit look.  If you're wanting auxiliary driving lights (vs. fog lights, in my mind there is a difference), I wouldn't worry too much about being period correct when it comes to safety.  Everything I find about driving lights circles back to headlights and specifies what you already know about sealed beam headlights being introduced in 1940.  No mention that I can find yet regarding when sealed beam lamps may have been introduced for other applications.  My thinking is that things like a sealed beam headlight may have been introduced as an accessory item such as aux. lights or fog lights for a few years first to make sure they work.  That's just a "maybe", though.  I would be itching to put those Trippe lights to good use, too.      

Dan:  Sealed beam headlights were first introduced in 1940 and mandated by the Govt.  There were a few exception that still used bulbs.  For MoPar from 1940-48 the cars and truck all used the 4030 Sealed beam bulb that did not have the aiming tips. From 1949-56  still 6 volt they used the Autolite Bullseye bulb and still no aiming tip.

In 1956 the 6v 6006 sealed beam was first produced and these had the aiming tips so that the BEAR headlight machine could be  used to adjust the light instead of aiming the lights against a wall and manually adjusting the light. More of a true system to get everyone's  lights in sync.

The 6006 6v bulb is now used as the primary headlight bulb for cars and truck from 1940 to around 1956 for cars that had 6volt system.s

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

this is in line to big aux lights go better with big standard lamps.....you have the opportunity to make a fellow hobbyist happy, line your pockets and do your car justice at the same time...but again...just my opinion.....this guy needs to lose the whore red wheels and go with body color either primary or secondary color will look better than this stark red.....again my opinion.....nothing says you cannot paint a car ugly....lol

image.png.0f9d56e6e75c847f16b8f77db033de96.png

• Haha 1

IT ALL FALLS ON DEAF EARS    proper red matching the red on the car, primary or secondary color is not much an issue....only when the wheels are so drastically different than the body color does it scream out 'look at me' ....'look at me' and the car is now totally secondary to the wheels.....NOW I WILL admit that some cars could use these  red wheels so folks may not focus on the car body/paint or lack thereof, guess there are always exception to the rules....I have one car recently purchased with red wheels, they are awful looking on the car and the car has been hid in the barn like the proverbial ugly duckling until alternate wheels arrive...thankfully the wheels have been located and be delivered from way up snow country way in a month or so.  The replacement wheels I picked out are factory steel wheels but low production numbers and not very common as the second series and restyled units that while nice, is not the look I want.....holding out for the first series wheels.  

Hi Rich. My input says do whatever works for you. I think your car has fantastic style. I love the art deco look of these pre-war autos and how so much architecture of the period drew from these themes. Like you, I endeavor to keep my vehicle in period. I have the 6 volt system intact and equipped with the reflector/bulb technology. The lighting is pretty appalling by today's standards but so far that doesn't bother me. Have rarely driven at night and when I have it reminds me of what grandfather's world was like. Folks in our rural areas had only just got electricity so 32 candle power lights were cutting edge back then...

Those Trippe lights are pretty special and meant to go on a car from that era and were an excellent acquisition. Maybe they would suit a big Duesenberg or Pierce-Arrow better...your call though. Whatever you do, fit them so you can still see that beautiful front clip. Best wishes from NZ

16 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Dan:  Sealed beam headlights were first introduced in 1940 and mandated by the Govt.  There were a few exception that still used bulbs.  For MoPar from 1940-48 the cars and truck all used the 4030 Sealed beam bulb that did not have the aiming tips. From 1949-56  still 6 volt they used the Autolite Bullseye bulb and still no aiming tip.

In 1956 the 6v 6006 sealed beam was first produced and these had the aiming tips so that the BEAR headlight machine could be  used to adjust the light instead of aiming the lights against a wall and manually adjusting the light. More of a true system to get everyone's  lights in sync.

The 6006 6v bulb is now used as the primary headlight bulb for cars and truck from 1940 to around 1956 for cars that had 6volt system.s

Rich Hartung

Roger that, I'd also read that dissertation last week about sealed beam headlights.  What I was getting at was that sealed beam headlamps did not just pop into existence in 1940, Govt. mandate or not.  There had to have been some R&D, and my thinking is more along the lines to assuage fears of sealed beam auxiliary lights not being original on late 30's cars.  Someone may have made available auxiliary lights with sealed beam lamps as the "latest and greatest feature to improve you're driving experience".  Uncle Sam had to have gotten the notion from somewhere.  I've found several writings about factory installed headlights but haven't found anything yet on the evolution of auxiliary driving lights that covers it.  Something that makes me go "hmm" now, and I'll halfheartedly look for more info, but won't lose sleep over it.

Hey Rich,

Just my opinion but, 

Have you ever noticed when someone says "Just my opinion" they are about to relate to one of two topics. 

1. How someone is about to venture into the FUGLY of your suggested action or,

2. The epic I know better than you for whatever mod or repair you're doing.

Anywho, I do tend to agree with most on here about the smaller lights at the top of the bumper inside the bumperettes. The big ones might work in the same position, but may detract from the overall asthetics of the front end. 

The big ones under the headlights might provide more light at night but will compete with the headlights as far as looks go. Like sidevalvepete said the big one would definitely be better on the lager luxury cars like the Duesenburg or the Peirce Arrow. 

Just my two cents worth.

Joe Lee

I use the in my opinion a lot because most of my unsolicited comments are just that, an opinion and in no manner saying good bad or indifferent....but just as I see it.   The fact I will then state the whys and wherefores of my opinion is to say that it is not just a whim or silly notion and give some background, color and size ratio etc...technically I could care less one way or the other what anyone chooses to do as it is not my car no more than if a person likes or dislikes what I do with mine.  Big hobby folks, I will admit at one time it would rankle me see what some folks may do...but hard lesson to learn is JUST NOT MY BUSINESS....the red wheels, there is NO WAIVER here......lol

• Haha 2

I would go for the smaller ones myself. Looks like they weren't really offered from the dealer? Accessories as aftermarket? My grandfather (William Riding) sold Plymouths and Desotos in central California in the late 30's , early 40s. Maybe yours???

Riding_and_Son_1941_Desoto_Ad.jpg

• Like 1