Come on now

Sniper
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

I spent a long day working to day, well most week days are 12 hour ones, and come home to see what the crew here has posted in hopes of being intellectually stimulated.

Y'all need to step up your game.  Not enough content is all I am saying, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Yup we all a bunch of slackers ...... except that @ggdad1951 ..... he has way too much time on their hands.

...thanks....I guess?  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

...thanks....I guess?  

You do incredible work and making great progress on your project. While taking care of the home life.

I think what it is, time management. Some people are just better at it then others.

I'm now medically retired .... I remember a time when I could manage time .... direct the sub contractors keeping them happy while lead carpenter on the job site get my job done also. ..... Today I work 10 minute, sit down for 20 .... work 15 minute then go get a sandwich   :D

Last couple months have been dealing with a brother inlaw in the hospital. Lots of driving 75 miles one way .... He has now passed away and that is over.

The weather has changed, seems like spring here and I do work under the carport .... so been back out getting things done.

First thing I needed to do is clean up the back yard and take care of the garden, things I have been putting off.

Then with all the driving with my chebby truck the pinion bearing went bad. .... I was crying on @Sniper shoulders last night about it   :P He has big shoulders.

With a clear head today I finally figured out exactly what rear end I have and was able to order all new bearings for it ..... hoping and praying I have not damaged the ring & pinion .... I inspected it a few months ago when I changed the oil .... everything looked perfect so I hope it is just bearings and no further damage.

So now I'm going gung ho on the Dodge just to complete the task that requires it to be on jack stands. putting the gas tank in today, got one fender almost on .... only goal here is to get as much done as I can, so I can get it off the jack stands and out of the work area. So I can pull the chebby in when the parts arrive.

I will have updates in a few days on my build thread, just not a lot to report today.

It's always slow this time of the year and while lots can be done during the winter months I think more tends to be done during the summer months.  I do more when I don't have to turn on the heat in the garage or when the wife is more tolerant of parking outside. My build projects don't fit the dominant trend of projects here and uploading photos isn't a simple process for me and those I do doesn't generate much interest.  I don't respond often anymore and ask questions less.

14 hours ago, Los_Control said:

You do incredible work and making great progress on your project. While taking care of the home life.

I think what it is, time management. Some people are just better at it then others.

Well, I start work at 430 or 5AM (still get up w/o an alarm clock...dang dairy farm kids) and get done 8ish hours later.  eat quick and head out to the shop, work till 5 or 530, then into the house for supper and some quality time with the wife.  Once summer rolls around I'll go back out for work after eating and avoid TV....I get bored easily, so I build (trucks or woodworking).

I appreviate the aknowledgement!

• Like 1

My spare time recently has been spent doing mundane, tedious things, such as getting my new laptop straightened out that ate up HOURS over the last few weeks,  blahblahblah I had to send the thing in so they could replace the touchscreen and iVOILA! problem solved.  I was hoping to migrate the info on my 15yr old laptop onto the new one while the weather was nasty, but instead clocked waaaay too many hours with tech.support.  Fixing one elderly neighbor's blender, then another elderly neighbor's water leak, taking care of another elderly neighbor's cattle, helping a lady friend sell the house that she was awarded in a nasty divorce settlement, and then, just like that, winter took a hiatus at the end of January and I'm on to the springtime chores for my place and the elderly neighbors...tree trimming, cleaning out flowerbeds, cleaning out barns, fun stuff.  Now I have 2 utility trailers sitting in front of the house that need some welding, repainting, rewiring, and wheel bearings repacked.  And the guy that Dad hired to tear down the old house on some property up the road in exchange for the materials has vanished, with the job half done, so I wonder who's gonna get asked to clean up that mess :rolleyes:  The county declared a state of emergency this week in preparation for the solar eclipse on April 8, and with the specter of the countryside being overrun with thoughtless tourists, I have a bad feeling that I'm gonna have to tackle that old house sooner than later cuz somebody might wander past the NO TRESPASSING signs on the property and have that old shack fall on their heads and try to sue the bejeezus out of us...yay

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Dan Hiebert said:

I dunno...does Sniper mean there's not a lot of content...or not enough intelligence in the content...?

Careful what you ask  .... ???

Pretty sure I could fill a book on stupid episodes .... starting with last week and why I'm charging the battery on my truck now to test drive it   ?

There is way less content on the forums than 5-10 years ago. I try to add a bit once in a  while but not as much as I used to. Gonna try to add more. Check out “Cheap Engine Rebuild” on the car forum. 

Edited by RobertKB

Nothing intellectual has gone on here. I’ve been clinging to the dumb end of an idiot stick. We had a cracked sewer, so my whole week was shot.

9050FFAA-8A06-482A-A074-FD88988D2996.jpeg.c09d1efa9ab783f4498d034d0a473c00.jpeg

We took out a yard of silty clay &  brought in a yard of real soil.

5C075CBF-2B11-4525-90C5-83F7794E9ACC.jpeg.b2330677cc3699d5a5d35250888f5eee.jpeg

Really lucky the crack was almost under the garden.

Edited by Ulu

Settlement of the house is to blame. Fortunately we still have plenty of slope.

Roots from a rose bush had found the crack and plugged the sewer. This is how we found out.

I should not be sarcastic, broken sewer lines can be a real problem.

I bought my house cheap not knowing what kind of sewer issue I had. ..... The tree stump should have been a clue.IS2rdnsz5os6ss0000000000.jpg.91268b4e18db6a66f5aabd5ac3af983d.jpg

That stump is right on top of the original sewer line ..... House built in 1948, materials were hard to get back then ... they used some sort of asphalt tar type pipe with many joints in it that leaked. This tree grew big !!!! and totally ruined the sewer line.

Honestly I look at it today and just feel sad .... This type of tree is just a weed, the original home owners got great shade from it on the back porch in the hot summer afternoons and loved it.

Same time it caused great troubles with sewer issues ..... A wise man would have never let the weed take root there and keep growing in the first place. .... That tree grew for decades.

I could see all the different patch repairs they did over the years to keep the sewer working ... I know this house was plagued with sewer issues .... Nobody took care of the real problem to solve it.

I had to cut out the concrete on the porch, I spent a few days removing dirt from under the house, I then replaced everything with 4" pipe all the way to the alley.

As soon as I cleared the house foundation I turned it to the right of the tree and used my heat gun on 4, 10' lengths of pipe and bent them to the curvature of the ditch I dug.

The whole time I kept the elevation of the ditch exactly as original ..... 6 years later we have zero issues with the sewer ..... it just should have been fixed decades ago.

It did take about a month for me to dig it all by hand and get a working sewer line again. Meantime wife & I had a 5 gallon bucket in the bathroom to use .... or we would hop in the car and go to the local gas station and use their can. ..... I got it fixed with a couple hundred $$ in material ..... to hire a crew would have been thousands $$

We have soft sand with no rocks here, the actual sewer line in the alley is 4' deep ..... so it was doable by hand, just took time.

Clogged sewer lines are not fun. ..... Using a 5 gallon bucket for a month earns certain privileges   for sarcasm  :P 

• Solution

I threatened my wife with that 5 gal bucket, or she could drive to Walmart 1 mile away.

I got “the look” . . .

• Haha 2

If I recall the asphalt fiber style pipe was referred to as Orangeburg Pipe.....have removed a number of feet of that stuff over the course of my life, way more than I ever wanted for sure....I believe many here have had to play  hockeyologist  a time or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahh, tales of sewer / septic woe.  Once upon a time, in a land far away, (round about SE Illinois), my brother and I inherited the annual purge of the septic tank on our grandparents' farm when we were about 8 or 9.  100-ish year old farm house with add on bathroom and afterthought septic system.  When that was plugged, we always had the ol' two-holer originally issued with the farm.  We were provided "the bucket" with a rope on the handle and couldn't do anything else until the tank was emptied.  Thankfully it wasn't the first chore of the summer to make us rue visiting grandma and grandpa, so we'd generally forget that was on the agenda until the visit was almost over. Thats when I first heard the analogy "five gallons of poop (you'uns can probably guess that's not the exact word he used) in a two-gallon bucket", from our grandpa.  I don't recall being overly put out by it, other than being kids that didn't want to "work", but our grandparents and any visiting relatives were certainly impressed by how bad we smelled, and kids being kids, we kind of relished that.  Our grandma "bragged" about how bad we'd get to smelling during that chore until the day she died.  And I still don't like messing with plumbing, although I will when necessary.  I'd like to say I don't smell as bad after any plumbing chores, but the missus may disagree...    

Edited by Dan Hiebert
typo
  • Haha 2

More random content…

I decided to build another little stove, for my own amusement, and for TIG practice on unusual surfaces. I am building it from a small refrigeration compressor.
3AEC355D-A969-42B7-9B6C-F794157F4A8B.jpeg.caa9e773e3e3fa49651de59feb743b8b.jpeg
So far I’m just cutting, and no welding yet, but probably today. The wind is almost gone and it has blown the boatyard 100% dry.

A while back I bought three new Oscar fish for my largest aquarium, and I’m sure I have a breeding pair and one runt. This is a pic of the pair.
C1214363-3749-4BFA-8D32-44F7B3E2204F.jpeg.e7c97b3374dbfe26d5805bb8f6c31186.jpeg
I had to put the runt in a separate tank to keep him from being chewed up and spit out by his tankmates. He looks the same as the pair in my photo, but he is about 1/5 the mass of the largest fish, yet these 3 were all born at the same time.

I named these fish “the three bears” when I bought them, and “baby bear” is now in his own 55 gallon tank, with 100 baby guppies to snack on and fatten him up.

Not a lot going on here either. Still taking care of 80% of the house work and cooking as my wife continues her recovery. So now that I have a little time, on to my latest project. I am tired of one of my vehicles always being in the way when I have to plow, or when I want to get something else out of the garage. So, I started parking my truck on the far side of the garage. It is about a 4-12 pitch down from the garage and it is tricky to get into with a telephone pole and guy wire nearby. I decided to fill the area up to garage level and either build or buy a carport of some type. Entry will be simplified by better angles if its level. Dirt never goes as far as you think it will. I ordered 4 tons of shale for fill. Moved it with a shovel and snow plow on my four wheeler. Looked to me like I needed a little more, mind you I had estimated 3 tons would do it. I got 4 more tons delivered and again shoveled and plowed. Still not enough for a 12X24 pad. I think 4 more tons will be more than enough, but I thought that last time too. Out here at the deep end it uses it up pretty quick.

IMG_20240315_102645_414~2-1.jpg

• Thanks 1