A little info from the local tire shop

My 48 B1C has the origional wheels and bias ply tires on it, cuz that's what it is suppose to have. I had a flat and took a tire into town be fixed. When I picked it up the gal at the counter told me that now days they do not recommend running a tubed tire at any more that 25 mph. Anybody else hear anything about this? We ran tubed tires for ever at a heck of a lot faster than 25 mph and lived through it. On the way home I thought that I might should have asked her if that only went for tubes made in China!!!

My 48 B1C has the origional wheels and bias ply tires on it, cuz that's what it is suppose to have. I had a flat and took a tire into town be fixed. When I picked it up the gal at the counter told me that now days they do not recommend running a tubed tire at any more that 25 mph. Anybody else hear anything about this? We ran tubed tires for ever at a heck of a lot faster than 25 mph and lived through it. On the way home I thought that I might should have asked her if that only went for tubes made in China!!!

Does that mean that all those motorcycles that used tube type tires are limited to 25 MPH? A bunch of bikers I see don't seem to know that. Heck, there are even bicyclists that exceed 25 MPH...

Tire stores can be full of hooey at times...I've been told by one store that they will only install tires with sizes that came original to a vehicle, no exceptions; another store only spoke in "4-ply, 6-ply, 8-ply" when I was asking for a C-rated tire rather than an E-rated tire; when I told another store that I wanted a static balance on my wheels, the techs told me that was not legal; yet another store told me the lock-ring rims on the 1-ton were not legal for highway use so they wouldn't work on them...all I'm really hearing from these folks is a lot of baloney cuz they don't want to be held responsible for anything going wrong. Anyhow, I'm surprised that ya found someone who could patch a tire tube at all; the fact they slung that BS at ya is a real stumper. :confused:

That 25mph is probably true for implement tires whether they have a tube or not. They're just discouraging the use of tubes. Tubes require more care when removing or assembling. Tubes were never an issue in bias ply tires. Non-radial tubes in a radial tire is.

I tried to get some tires removed from my old 1 ton rims and the tire shops here wouldn't touch them, they are illegal here in the traffic act I believe.

Bias tires are the correct stock tires, but radials without tubes are a much safer, longer lasting choice IMO

Same as above, except I do all my own wheel work to get rid of the one in twenty tire donkeys.

I hate tire shops.

They usually tell you how they know everything, right before they bust your left hand lugs off.

haha.....:D

so true.

48D

I won't even bother a tire shop with mine. For some reason my rear axle shafts got swapped side for side... So I have pass front normal, pass rear reverse, driver rear normal, driver front reverse.

I wish my Grandpa was still around to ask him why it was taken apart and put back together wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

My Donahue implement Carrier Trailer came with speed rated tires. This pic is of the side wall of tires on the Donahue. Note the speed rating on the tires...Yep 225 MPH. Real hick, farmin' take, "Hey Billy Bob those worn out airplane tires still have some life in them and hey they are fifteen inch right, wow they will fit my trailer rims"

That 25mph is probably true for implement tires whether they have a tube or not. They're just discouraging the use of tubes. Tubes require more care when removing or assembling. Tubes were never an issue in bias ply tires. Non-radial tubes in a radial tire is.

post-2693-13585370387566_thumb.jpg

I recall changing a couple of airplane tires years ago that were used for implements after they couldn't be used for planes anymore. Those things were so stiff I don't think they needed air in them. Meanest tires i ever changed on a drop center rim. Don't recall the size but they were much bigger than 15 ".

Tires from B-17's and B-29's were used here in the valley on orchard sprayers for quite awhile. When they went flat-they were a bear to break down, and were usually replaced by something newer. Mike

I can see this happening in some tire shop soon.

Sir, We checked, there is no light on, on the dash board so you can't have a low tire. Sir??? Sir??? Are You OK Sir???.

Wife is 600 miles from home when she calls to tell me the low tire light is lit and wants to know what to do. I asked if the tire looks low and she responded that it did not. I asked how long the light had been lit and she responded that it just came on when she started the car. I then asked if it went out after the car started and she responded yes it went out. There are way too many buttons, bells, wistles etc. on modern cars. That is what I like about my Plymouth.

Wife is 600 miles from home when she calls to tell me the low tire light is lit and wants to know what to do. I asked if the tire looks low and she responded that it did not. I asked how long the light had been lit and she responded that it just came on when she started the car. I then asked if it went out after the car started and she responded yes it went out. There are way too many buttons, bells, wistles etc. on modern cars. That is what I like about my Plymouth.

how's her blinker fluid doing? ;)

Did you switch over to Summer Air this year? Although it's almost time for Fall Air. Only $28.90 at Kaleco Auto. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=31

air.jpg

wait till you see the charges for new stems or maybe even kits depends on the shop when replacing 4 new tires..