Cleaning Starter Ring Gear

Bingster
Go to solution Solved by D35 Torpedo,

I finally removed my starter and noticed that the ring gear teeth inside the housing had what looked like a combination grease mixed with some dirt.  Not a lot but it was noticeable. It didn't look too concerning but I would imagine that nonetheless it might wear down the teeth. Is this any item to address??

Probably rear crank/transmission seal is leaking. As long as the clutch is not slipping, shouldn't be too bad. Did you already removed the bell housing cover to inspect the flywheel? You can probably spray it with some brake cleaner, all the way around, to clean things up (at least temporarily).

How did you turn it over when   determining TDC?.  Socket on the front crank nut, pry bar against the ring gear teeth through the starter hole or inspection cover, fan and fan belt with plugs removed?  All will work.  I don't think I'd use WD40.  Brake cleaner would be better since it evaporates.

Just turn it with your hand (no plugs) using the fan, and spray some cleaner into the starter hole. Use a good quality respirator (or a gas mask if you have one), unless you like to breath-in cleaner fumes. Also put a bucket underneath, it will leak on the garage floor :)

2 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

You will never, in a million years, wear down the ring gear from a little grit. 

I agree, but knowing is there and should not be is enough to set me to the task of cleaning.   And a million years from now it would still be nagging me to get it cleaned.

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I agree, but knowing is there and should not be is enough to set me to the task of cleaning.   And a million years from now it would still be nagging me to get it cleaned.

Fair enough. But knowing these engine like to leak from the rear main, your efforts will most likely be futile. Either way, it's a simple thing to deal with, without addressing the peanut gallery. Seems like a lot of good threads are being diluted by questions like these. Maybe we need a newb section...

1 hour ago, D35 Torpedo said:

Maybe we need a newb section...

Isn't this all part of learning? Not everyone is at master mechanic level. I would bet that many of us worked on our daily drivers when young and then later when newer styles came along there was not much need to do the maintenance of these old cars. Then we buy an old car and are unsure of what to do. What better place to come than here with all that knowledge to tap into.

I guess the old adage is the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveR said:

I guess the old adage is the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.

What about one that has been asked, and answered, repeatedly?

Some sites I go to have a tech section that has lots of useful, but unused, information there.  Noobs never use it.  Alas, I know not what to do, lol.

7 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

But knowing these engine like to leak from the rear main,

I like to think the Mopar Engineers designed it to be a self oiler ..... They were just way ahead of their time.

They knew the average person would not remove the starter and oil the gear at the recommended intervals.

• Haha 1

I'll tell you what. It's with some reluctance and a good degree of thought before I post a new question on here anymore. There used to be a guy on this board when I first came on over ten years ago who took shots as well. Same deal. It kinda makes the hobby not as much fun to post a question and dodge the arrows.

However, I can certainly see this is a valid point for some of you folks.  My wife has dementia, and I'm her only caregiver. I get very impatient with her asking the same question three minutes after she asked it the first time and then a few times more. To the point of screaming.  I'm not asking for any sympathy, just reality.

If any of you guys came to me with questions on how to write a book, a song, journalistic photography, furniture making, etc. etc. I know from my own experience that with something as difficult for a newbie as restoring a classic car there are hundreds smaller questions that fall between the cracks from the major ones, and those are the ones that make or break whatever craft you are attempting to learn.

I guess I would say that rather than chastise a person for his question just ignore it. It takes just as much time to diss somebody as to answer their question or point then in the right direction.

My apologies to all of you nice guys and dolls because this little diatribe is not intended for 99% of you.  Cheers!

• Like 5

I personally like to read newb questions. Every once in a while I actually know a good answer, although others usually answer before me. Most times I read the answers and learn something. Sometimes about the question asked and sometimes something about the person replying to the question asked. Either way I enjoy the read or I wouldn't read it. 

Edited by oldodge41
grammar
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bingster said:

I guess I would say that rather than chastise a person for his question just ignore it. It takes just as much time to diss somebody as to answer their question or point then in the right direction

Agree, if you don't like a question just don't answer it. If the post is so "absurd" that no one answers then it will naturally sink to the bottom anyway.  If it's a question asked many times before just post a link to the tech section that covers the topic or post where it was previously answered. Maybe add the search terms you used to find the previous post.

Having said that one thing that you really can't teach someone is mechanical aptitude/common sense. That I agree can be a frustrating experience but then again just ignore the post if you're not inclined to even try.

55 minutes ago, Bingster said:

I guess I would say that rather than chastise a person for his question just ignore it. It takes just as much time to diss somebody as to answer their question or point then in the right direction.

Excellent reminder for all of us, thanks!

I realize just throwing a question out to the forum is much easier than doing some homework. Many folks (most?) just hate doing homework and prefer a quick answer (I spent fourteen years standing at the front of a classroom facing impatient pupils....). But it is amazing how much information is available on nearly any subject with minimal effort spent searching. Yes, forum search engines are often not well designed so I always go to Google. To search this forum with Google do the following:

site:p15-d24.com then your inquiry such as how often to change oil

That particular inquiry instantly returned 18 threads on the subject of oil and filter change intervals.

I have to admit the old teacher in me doesn't have a lot of patience for folks who refuse to do homework instead of trying to educate themselves before seeking help. Guess it's a rebellion against the instant gratification component of our culture. Doing some basic research has often saved me from asking a question that has been asked who knows how many times previously. But if a search doesn't return a good answer......ask!   :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bingster said:

My wife has dementia, and I'm her only caregiver. I get very impatient with her asking the same question three minutes after she asked it the first time and then a few times more. To the point of screaming.  I'm not asking for any sympathy, just reality.

My heart and prayers go out to you Bingster. My mom had the same and passed in 2017 (peacefully in her sleep with my Dad holding her hand). My Dad was a saint putting up with the "I'm hungry did we eat yet?" every 5 minutes. I live several hours away, so I didn't have to put up with that, as it can drive any person nuts in a matter of days.

So when I see the inevitable "What is the best oil to use.?" From noobs who don't research, my eyes roll and the first thought is what a doofus. Then I have to remember, these new posters don't have our experience with these old cars that we do. Especially the budget builders. A lot of people that ask the seemingly dumbest questions come from the instant gratification generation and don't have the patience we do. Also life hasn't beaten the stupid out of them yet. (It still gives me the left hook from nowhere sometimes as well.) 

Now with all that being said, I haven't really seen a lot of stupid questions, just the repetitious ones like the oil use. 99% of the posters here are usually looking for the info not really covered in the manual but experience from those of us that have said "ask me how I know". You other 1% you know who your are you lazy social parasites Wait...did I just say that out loud?

Joe Lee

• Like 1

I use the search engine on this site and using the search advanced options really helps narrow the search down. The plus to using the search for me is I always learn something from topics other than what I was searching for.

26 minutes ago, Veemoney said:

I use the search engine on this site and using the search advanced options really helps narrow the search down. The plus to using the search for me is I always learn something from topics other than what I was searching for.

Knowledge is power!  :)

I used to tell my students that if you are willing to spend time reading and researching there isn't anything you can't accomplish in nearly any subject. I realize there are those for whom reading is a chore due to disabilities but there isn't any excuse for lack of effort by those who refuse to use their God-given abilities.

And this is why some forum old-timers (and not just on this forum) have patience meters reading down in the red.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I didn't say you can't ask your question. I simply suggested a place where you can ask it, without clogging up the main board or worry of looking like a newb.. Nothing personal. One forum I'm a member of has just that, and it's great. It's a no bull forum that hurts a lot of feelings, so it's a good testing ground. 

Nothing personal. This forum gets about ten new posts a day, is clogging up the main board really a big concern? Also who's going to police when someone is a newbie and when they have sufficient knowledge to graduate to the main board, you?

Maybe you should let the site moderator determine and enforce policy. If you don't like a post topic just don't post back to it and move on. You've posted to this one three times already, helping to keep it on top.

• Thanks 2