Favorite Auto Parts Store?

Bingster

All the chain and napa stores are near me, no difference in pricing usually, but Napa can be a little higher. Advance usually offers a discount on line purchases for in store pick up. Besides Rock auto, I look at ebay and Amazon, for these two I check part numbers to be certain. Off the wall can be craigs list, surprising what you find sometimes. Often times ebay has the least expensive prices as long as you can wait for the part to be shipped. With Rock auto shipping can be a significant price difference as well. I found the cheapest place to buy a battery was Menards....similar to Home depot for those who dont know the store.

Edited by Dartgame

Did a bit of quick research, online shopping only, not sure how/if in store pricing might change things.

Autolite 306 plugs, price one each, not sure how/if shipping changes for 6.  Tax not included but obviously the more you pay for the plugs the more taxes you get to pay too.

Rock auto $1.89, $10.99 shipping
Napa $3.99. in stock
Autozone $1.99, home delivery only, free delivery Oct 23
O'reilly Auto. $1.99 next day to store
Advance Auto $1.99, home delivery only, $9.99
Car Quest redirects to Advance Auto

So in my case, best price is O'reilly, next day,  If I have it have it NOW!  Napa is the only one in stock at the store.  If I were to be buying more than plugs and if they all come from the same warehouse it might make sense to throw a set of plugs on my next RA order.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter where you shop, they have got to have an old guy. These kids they hire these days don't know much about cars. When you tell one of them the year of your car they get the deer in the headlight look. When I told one of them I had a 48 plymouth,  he asked me who makes that? If it's not in their computer they can't help  you. I've known some old guys who knew exactly what I was talking about for whatever doohickey I was looking for. Old guys rule! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jgreg53 said:

No matter where you shop, they have got to have an old guy. These kids they hire these days don't know much about cars. When you tell one of them the year of your car they get the deer in the headlight look. When I told one of them I had a 48 plymouth,  he asked me who makes that? If it's not in their computer they can't help  you. I've known some old guys who knew exactly what I was talking about for whatever doohickey I was looking for. Old guys rule! 

As far as my experience goes, you hit the nail on the head jgreg53.  The parts store in my town are staffed with people who were probably flipping burgers at their previously job.  They don't know the difference between an oil filter and an air filter.  Seriously, I'm sure when you ask for something and they go to the computer, they are going to google images to try and see what you're talking about.  If you ask for a hose clamp they will ask for "make model and year" of the car.  I'm serious.  Unless they have that information, they are stumped.  I'm so tempted to ask for "flasher fluid".  I'm confident they would ask for "year make and model"  immediately without batting an eye.

Very well put harmony. These kids are not car people. They have the catalogs there. I like it when an old guy goes to the catalogs there and will take the time to bring one of them out and start flipping through the pages. A seasoned car guy knows where to find just what you looking for. I was in one place looking for that long fuse for the headlight switch. The young lady assisting me was very polite and did what they always do and tried to find it in the computer. Nothing. I know  it was in one of those paper catalogs.  And when I told her 48 plymouth, we'll she was done searching. I went to napa and an older guy there found it in the computer. I bought 5. Had to order them though. But I must say these stores do keep a generous supply of floor mats and air fresherners.

Edited by jgreg53
  • Haha 1

All you guys complaining about "the computer" fail to realize that is all most of these places have.  There are no catalogs to look up and it is doubtful that will change since no one is putting out catalogs any more, at least not paper ones.

When I got out of the military, back in 93, I had a job at a major chain type parts store, they were transitioning from paper to computer and we were told to toss our catalogs.  We didn't.  That was 30 years ago.

Recently, the place I work for stopped shipping paper installation manuals with new machines, they put a QR code on them so the installer can download the PDF.  Well, that doesn't work so the installation electrician installs it how they think it should be installed and then I get to have them correct all the mistakes when I show up to commission it.  17 hours doing what is normally a 2 hour job really sucks.  Of course, some of those "electricians" out in the oil patch probably can't even spell electrician much less are one.

many stores still have the catalogs on paper, they just never put them out and only if you are well known to the counter person will they when asked get the book out for you but you have to almost be specific what product book you want to begin with as they will not know the product line.  That is why most all folks like we here on the forum do our own research before going to the counter even knowing up front that the computer and counter jerks will be of little use.  It is enough problem working a modern car, more so when an older classic and then extreme difficulties when you homogenize your own build from this or that as a retrofit.  Our one Advance store has a commercial counter that is separate from the front walk-up counters and these books are there in abundance.   If you are fortunate enough to have a commercial counter these guys are a bit more in tune to your needs.  The commercial counter in this case will also order in parts from online wrecking yard also.   This store has me listed with a commercial account where unlike the front counter or phone call I do not need to pay before ordering.  I like that about Oreilly's, never have to pay upfront there and with the younger folks at the counter at the other store, I have taken majority of my business to the big O'  and one more thing in their favor, most of their online parts list specifications which is a plus for the folks who do their own builds.    

It's sad the way retail is going.   I sure miss those days with a huge row of dirt and grease stained parts catalogs lines up on the counter.  Plus those parts guys who were already headed for the precise page in a catalog before you'd even finish describing what you were looking for.

But on the flip side of poor or no service.  There is a guy at a parts store in the near by city about 45 minutes from me who is old school.  I went to a local hot rod shop looking for a driveshaft.    I needed to custom make one up.  So I was looking for a shaft, to be cut to length, a particular splined yoke and a particular U-Joint.   They didn't happen to have any, but they directed me to a guy named Rick at Bumper to Bumper.  It's important to mention that I had never been in this particular parts store and I didn't know Rick at all.  I mentioned to Rick that the guy at the Hot Rod shop had sent me and that I was looking for a used driveshaft.  Rick then pulled out a piece of paper and drew a map.  It was directions to his shop about 15 minutes away.  He told me to look down the left side of his shop and there would be 3 driveshafts on the ground.  He told me to take all three.  If out of the 3,  I could make up what I needed, and there was anything left over, then to bring them back to his shop the next time I was in town.   I said that was awesome and asked how much?  He simply said don't worry about it.    Then directed his attention to the next person in line. 

There were 2 other parts guys behind the counter.  There was a line up of 3 guys waiting to talk to Rick.  When those 3 guys had entered the store the other two parts guys offered to help, but they all said that they would wait for Rick.   

Lets be honest ..... days of catalogs are long gone.

Kids coming up through todays school system use the internet for searching. ..... It takes skill & talent to go to a long row of catalogs sitting on the counter ..... Know which book to go to for the part in question. ....... Thats the way it use to be done, not done the same way today.

I could go on and talk about how my wife use to do things 35 years ago ..... sadly time changes things.  Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

• Like 1

I'm kinda on the fence with catalog vs computer.   It all depends on the quality of the computer info first.  Did they digitize all of the catalog info, or just the application and p/n?  If they skipped the dimension info that's bad news!  That is where the paper version shown,  not just a bearing number for instance, but it's ID/OD/Width.  

Second is the quality of the computer app used to access the data.  If it allows searching in something other that make,model,year it can be better than the book.   If not, more bad news.  For instance when searching for a heater core  I found no way to search the computer data at Orielly's even though the size  information is in the data base.

For example look at the online catalogs from bearing companies.   No M/M/Y required, just specs. 

Done correctly the computer version could be faster and more accurate than paper.  Unfortunately creating such code is expensive and has limited use as most parts sold are not for our type of vehicles, but late model daily drivers.

FWIW ,  The online info at Rockauto is just about as good as it gets.   Compared to Orielly's, Advance etc it is outstanding.   Another example of good design is the way John Deere has done there app.   Not only can you find the PN you need by M/M/Y ( and s/n ) but you can use the PN to identify every application of that PN in other JD equipment.

That would be equivalent to using a trans gear PN to identify other Mopars that could be donors.

Really nice when dealing with used parts!

• Like 1

There are times when neither of the three stores don't have the part nor can they get it. Take something like door hinge pin bushings. They have a blister pack of a variety of sizes but none of them fit a 48 plymouth.  I had ordered the new pins from AB, but couldn't find bushings.then someone told me that pins from a mid 80's Chevy truck would fit. And they did

I've been on both sides of the counter and know there are pros and cons to both.  Computers don't always have all the info you may need and the books don't either.  Depending on what you're looking for, one may be easier to use than the other.  I don't mind getting the new person.  I let them look up the parts and then verify by comparing to the numbers I brought with me.  They won't get better if they don't get some experience and since the parts I need aren't always common parts, it can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.  Having them ask the right questions to get to the correct part is part of it.

I'm on the fence about catalogs vs. computers, and the counter folks that use either one.  Around here, even the "old guys" that know a thing or two ultimately end up being good at knowing how to find what they know you want...on the computer.  The store won't allow them to use anything but their proprietary computer program.  The "kids" that don't know cars can find what you need on the computer, but you have to know what it is first.  Some are merely adept at searching eclectic stuff, so car parts are just another search item.  Some are good at using that particular store's system.  Etcetera, etcetera.  The NAPA guys often invite me into the warehouse to find what I want, then they just scan it into the computer after I find it, which works well, come to think of it.  What I don't like is when you search a parts store on-line, it says they have the part in stock, or can get it, but when you go to the store, their own computer sez they don't have the part in stock, and/or they can't even get it.  My pea-brain tells me they should be using the same computer inventory as the on-line site.  My business-brain tells me that's how they get you in their store, you're there, so you may as well get what they really have in stock.  As I wrote before, there are no mom-and-pop auto parts stores here.  But the ones in the region I know of still use a point-of-sale computer program for their parts.  They may have paper catalogs, but those are to get a part number to put into the computer.

Years ago when I got out of the Navy I worked at a parts store for a while. Had a customer coming needed a throttle cable for a Toyota Land Cruiser so I punched it into the computer and it only gave one engine option so I didn't ask the customer what engine he had and I looked up a throttle cable. No listing for his particular year but they showed one for a later model version. So I called our warehouse where they supposedly had the catalogs to see if they had something for his specific vehicle. And their catalog basically told them the same thing but the guy asked me on the phone what engine he had and I told him whatever the computer said that car should have. That's when the customer picked up and said oh I've got a Chevy 350 in it. So I told the guy in the warehouse never mind he's got a Chevy 350. I then asked the customer are you using the original throttle cable. He said I don't know I didn't do the swap I said well I cannot help. And he got somewhat upset that I couldn't help him and I told him look I got no book that tells me what throttle cable to use in a 1967 Toyota Land Cruiser with a Chevy 350 in it. If you were using the original cable I might be able to get one of those but since you don't know and I don't know I can't help. He's like what do I do? I said take the old one out go to the junkyard look around and see if you can find something that'll work and then if you do you can either come here and buy a new one of those or use the junkyard one whatever but right down what it is so you know next time. So yeah it isn't always the part guy or the catalog or the computer sometimes it's the customer

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Years ago when I got out of the Navy I worked at a parts store for a while. Had a customer coming needed a throttle cable for a Toyota Land Cruiser so I punched it into the computer and it only gave one engine option so I didn't ask the customer what engine he had and I looked up a throttle cable. No listing for his particular year but they showed one for a later model version. So I called our warehouse where they supposedly had the catalogs to see if they had something for his specific vehicle. And their catalog basically told them the same thing but the guy asked me on the phone what engine he had and I told him whatever the computer said that car should have. That's when the customer picked up and said oh I've got a Chevy 350 in it. So I told the guy in the warehouse never mind he's got a Chevy 350. I then asked the customer are you using the original throttle cable. He said I don't know I didn't do the swap I said well I cannot help. And he got somewhat upset that I couldn't help him and I told him look I got no book that tells me what throttle cable to use in a 1967 Toyota Land Cruiser with a Chevy 350 in it. If you were using the original cable I might be able to get one of those but since you don't know and I don't know I can't help. He's like what do I do? I said take the old one out go to the junkyard look around and see if you can find something that'll work and then if you do you can either come here and buy a new one of those or use the junkyard one whatever but right down what it is so you know next time. So yeah it isn't always the part guy or the catalog or the computer sometimes it's the customer

And this story is also the reason why I would never consider buying a modified car unless it came with complete documentation down to the last nut and bolt that was non-stock.

• Like 1

Every counter person I've ever met has stories they could tell about customers similar to Sniper's.  I can't even begin to tell you how many customers  don't know the m/m/y they drove up in and want parts for. I and every one of my associates has had to look at cars for suspension types, brakes, steering, RPO codes, exhaust pipe sizes, engine size, date of manufacture, VIN, submodel, count lug nuts and some instances, wheel size because getting the right part to the customer requires that info.

There's a phone line attached to every store.. If you've looked up the part yourself or calling them to look up the part, have them do a physical check for the parts before you make the trip.  Even if automated inventory control, it isn't 100% accurate of what's on hand.  When at the store bring the old parts with and compare to the new.  There seems to be variations available for almost every part on the cars and trucks we drive daily.  If you ordered a part, pick it up in a timely manner.

Variations in part is not new.  Posters are constantly being reminded of distributor model numbers, carb numbers, starter numbers, etc. simply because of the age of these vehicles and the possibility or probability of parts being swapped from other years and models.  Be proactive by having the needed info at hand.

Oh yeah, I got more stories of customer's not knowing what they need or have.  I even have stories about customer's stuff I know more about than they did lol.

If that company had paid commission on sales I would have never left and I wouldn't have to do anything other than just what I did, help customer's get what they needed.

Though to be honest, the commission on that throttle cable I mentioned wouldn't have made up for the effort in involved in doing what needed to be done to get him what he needed, but then again, I am not a custom car shop either.  If he had brought in the old cable I could have looked in the back of the catalog and maybe been able to set him up,

Do you remember the old fan belt yardstick? It was a measuring stick with a slide on one end.   That was the way you bought a fN belt.  It's easier these days with an actual part number.  There's one thing they really don't want to do is take it to the back and try to match it up .

On 10/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, jgreg53 said:

Do you remember the old fan belt yardstick? It was a measuring stick with a slide on one end.   That was the way you bought a fN belt.  It's easier these days with an actual part number.  There's one thing they really don't want to do is take it to the back and try to match it up .

The parts stores here all have one of those from whatever brand is their store's go-to.  If they can't find the belt for your car in the system, they measure it with the fan belt yard stick, and besides the measurement, it'll give them the part number.  I'm slightly surprised, tho, by just how many car makes these shops have listed in their computers, regardless of whether or not they have any parts for it.  I'll get a glazed expression from the (usually younger) counter person when I tell them I have a Terraplane, but they'll get a kick out of finding it in their system...but with only generic stuff available for it that works with all cars, like oil, cleaning supplies, etc.  

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

The parts stores here all have one of those from whatever brand is their store's go-to.  If they can't find the belt for your car in the system, they measure it with the fan belt yard stick, and besides the measurement, it'll give them the part number.  I'm slightly surprised, tho, by just how many car makes these shops have listed in their computers, regardless of whether or not they have any parts for it.  I'll get a glazed expression from the (usually younger) counter person when I tell them I have a Terraplane, but they'll get a kick out of finding it in their system...but with only generic stuff available for it that works with all cars, like oil, cleaning supplies, etc.  

I suspect all the systems have the same data as their source, and maybe even the same software, with some individual features.   Probably bought from the same software creator.   I'm amazed at how much better Rock Auto is though.   It's probably the whole package without the other stores changes.

• Like 1

Stores DO NOT have the same software.  I was working at a Car Quest store when Advance bought them.  Our computers could not talk to Advance computers, formatted in different languages.  We could not see what Advance had in their warehouses and vice versa.  We made a lot of phone calls to a neighboring Advance (60 miles away) and set up our own delivery network.  Some kind of language patch was integrated later that did make it easier and since then I think the Car Quest has been switched over to the Advance language.

On 11/4/2023 at 10:24 AM, Dave72dt said:

Stores DO NOT have the same software.  I was working at a Car Quest store when Advance bought them.  Our computers could not talk to Advance computers, formatted in different languages.  We could not see what Advance had in their warehouses and vice versa.  We made a lot of phone calls to a neighboring Advance (60 miles away) and set up our own delivery network.  Some kind of language patch was integrated later that did make it easier and since then I think the Car Quest has been switched over to the Advance language.

The network software is totally separate from the applications software.   The network implementation may well bar communications, but the application and database software may still be the same.   Not saying it positively, but there sure are lots of commonalities, even in the web stuff.  

Businesses seldom write their own, it's expensive and requires skills normally outside their skillset.  Much cheaper to buy the package and pay the vendor to build and screen interface.