2024 Total Eclipse

Out of curiosity.  Many of us will be in the path of the total eclipse on April 8.  Although I'm rather "meh" about an eclipse, apparently there is a huge following for them.  Houlton, ME is the last place in the U.S. it will be seen from, and has the longest duration in the U.S.  The locals are anticipating 10,000 to 40,000 people to be in the area for it.  We've been planning for it for over a year, making a whole weekend event out of it.  This will be "interesting" since this area cannot handle even the low end of that estimate, absolutely zippo infrastructure for it.  Houlton's population is only around 6K, there are only 51 hotel rooms in town.  The missus is doing a baked goods sale in town that Saturday, other than that, my plan is to hole up at home the week before and after.  We'll have to stock up on supplies a couple weeks before hand, things are already running out.  Even though there's a 79% likelihood it will be overcast, and even a 30% chance it will be snowing, we're still expecting hordes of people.  What are your areas expecting or planning for?    

I've seen one years ago.  Used a welding helmet to watch occasionally as it progressed. It did get a little darker, about like early evening and the birds went quiet.  I was getting paid to work, not to spend time staring at the sun,  Maybe I'll stick my head outside and take a quick look but other than that, not that interested.

Back in July 1991, we had a partial solar eclipse that peaked late in the afternoon.  It was blazing hot that day, but cooled off noticeably so that late shift work was tolerable for the first time in weeks.  What struck me was how different everything looked as the sunlight changed colors during the eclipse...this'n did not reach totality, so it did not get dark as much as dusk-like.

This eclipse is supposed to reach totality just as the sun is directly overhead, so that'll be something to experience.  Though the grumbling of being overrun by tourists all through the countryside has some of us concerned, especially as county officials have declared a state of emergency for technical reasons concerning 911 resources.  Traffic could grind to a halt, so locals are preparing like a hurricane is en route by closing govt offices, schools, and businesses, and telling ppl to stock up on everything.  We have wheat, corn, and hay crops that could be wiped out by thoughtless trespassers, to add to possible misery.

Then there is the reality that it might be overcast and/or raining that day, cuz it's springtime in Texas...which is what some of us are kinda hoping for, to keep the out-of-town knuckleheads away :cool:

Observations from living in Wyoming during the great eclipse of 2017.

Cheyenne was in the 95 percent observation area and it did not get much darker than the sun going behind a cloud.  Traffic on the interstate that morning of was crazy. People drove hundreds of miles to get in the totality (100 percent) zone. The population of Wyoming increased 5 fold that day. A 3 hour drive from Denver Colorado, straight up I-25 to get here that morning, turned in to a 8-10 hour drive home. The same was reported by people from Salt Lake City,Utah that experienced it on the western side of the state.

So in conclusion if you don't live in, or willing to get in to the totality zone don't waste your time. A time when 98 percent is not good enough.

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

What struck me was how different everything looked as the sunlight changed colors during the eclipse...

Now, imagine how it looked to people hundreds and thousands of years ago, who did not even know what it was. 🙄

I am outside of the "dark path" 🤣

I live in east Texas in the 99% zone.  I'm planning to take the 47 P15 to my step brothers place about 30 miles west from here for the eclipse.  The 100% zone.  All back roads so I'm hoping not much traffic.  If there is too much traffic then I'll turn around and go back home.  The eclipse is just an excuse for a ride in the 47.  And a chance to visit with my step brother.  Also one of the guys I used to work with is going to come over and ride with me.  Even if it's cloudy it will get dark for a few minutes.  

...of the heart...

Way outside the 100% zone...likley will be working on the truck regardless.

The last eclipse we had, I was in the middle of.  Doing the same thing I did then, whatever, not planning on doing much, if any observing.  Seen one, seen them all and I saw my first in middle school.

The only even moderately interesting things is that there is also a comet and you might be able to see it during the eclipse, maybe even it's tail, if the stars align, pardon the pun.

7 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Is that any different then observing them at night time?

Not really, just that seeing it during the "day" courtesy of the eclipse is fairly unique.

It was about 15-18 years ago not sure what year. I was in Albuquerque and it was being played up everywhere .... we were going to be in the zone.

I have never had the opportunity before ..... it was on the weekend, I was off work, the wife was at work ...... I drug a lawn chair up on the roof, had a 6 pack of beer .... real cheesy cheap sunglasses that everyone was selling so you could look at it ....

Just saying I was pumped up and into it .... when it actually happened I was left with a lot of questions.

What I saw, as if the sun went behind a cloud for a second ...... Why is everybody so excited about this?

You going to watch the eclipse? Cool it is going to be a good time, have fun!

Me? ..... Naw, think I'm going to be busy that day   :)

usually the best seat for this is your living room watching it on the TV....my only advice, to enjoy turn off the sound and deaded out the humdrum play by play commentary crap.   If you have seen one eclipse you've seen them all....crossed this off my list long ago....

I can’t believe so few people seem enthralled by the eclipse. I am no where near the line of the eclipse but still amazed by it. You could fit over a million Earths inside the sun and it is going to be blocked by the moon that has a diameter 1/4 that of Earth. Probably not many places in our galaxy of 140 billion+ stars can that happen. If you are not totally amazed by what happens in our solar system, galaxy, universe, I feel sorry for you. 

Edited by RobertKB

Well, technically it is not being blocked, we are just seeing the moon shadow, for a short while. Similar to if you pull your visor to cover the sun while driving, everyday 😋

Also, I am pretty sure this happens everywhere throughout our galaxy since each star we see in just another "sun" with some planets around it. In fact, astronomers/astrophysicists sort of watch eclipses around other cosmic bodies all the time. If I recall correctly, this is one of the ways to scientifically determine if there are planets around stars or satellites around planets. When one body overshadows the other in front of an observer, you can detect slight changes in its brightness, and when this happens at periodic time internals you can readily determine what's going on in the given "solar" system far far away from us :)

1 hour ago, Ivan_B said:

I am pretty sure this happens everywhere throughout our galaxy since each star we see in just another "sun" with some planets around it. In fact, astronomers/astrophysicists sort of watch eclipses around other cosmic bodies all the time. If I recall correctly, this is one of the ways to scientifically determine if there are planets around stars or satellites around planets. When one body overshadows the other in front of an observer, you can detect slight changes in its brightness, and when this happens at periodic time internals you can readily determine what's going on in the given "solar" system far far away from us :)

Absolutely true but this eclipse is visible from our little speck of dust called Earth, our satellite called the moon, and our local star. That’s what makes it so truly amazing to me!

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivan_B said:

I guess many of us just lost our sense of wonder,

Similar thoughts had occurred to me of how much we take for granted, how seldom we appreciate what surrounds us.  I used to live high on a ridge with a commanding view of the surrounding area.  Now in a valley, the view is compromised to say the least.  Wife likes it here so I guess we're staying.  On clear nights I still go out and gaze at the stars, but it still feels closed in.  As I reflect on it, maybe I'll make more of a point of it to watch some of the eclipse.  It may be my last chance to observe one.

• Like 1

I still have that sense of wonder, even at 68. There's still a pretty decent night sky where I am in rural Illannoy and I'll point out stars and planets to my grandsons. They're pretty impressed that grandpa actually knows this stuff. The night sky where my oldest lives in Maine will knock your socks off, though.

I'm very much in awe of all the amazing miracles that happen in the universe .... eclipse scientifically explained is not that exciting but still a wonderful thing.

Solar eclipses are fairly numerous, about 2 to 4 per year, but the area on the ground covered by totality is only about 50 miles wide. In any given location on Earth, a total eclipse happens only once every hundred years or so, though for selected locations they can occur as little as a few years apart.

Child birth is a total miracle how life begins ..... yeaaah, I'm not going out of my way to watch that either  :D

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I'm not going out of my way to watch that either 

That always amazes me how "popular" it became for the fathers to participate in the process, these days... Come on, it's a hospital! I am more concerned about maintaining a sanitary environment for everyone. And then we wonder why people pick-up all kinds of "extra things" after being treated... There should not be any random people in there, except patients and staff 🙄

Edited by Ivan_B

2 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

"Ill-annoy" - now, that's a good one 🤣

Do you have a telescope? I am thinking about getting one for recreational purposes.

Illannoy instead of Ill-a-noise. The taxes kind of suck but I still like it here.

I have both a cheap reflector and refractor, plus a couple of spotter scopes. If I can keep the grandsons interest, I plan on getting a better reflector over the summer. I want them to see the nebula in Orions' belt next fall.