Fuel Economy Or Lack Thereof

Well I have put about 120 miles on Big Red this summer with zero break downs.  I think I would drive this truck anywhere with no worries.  Filled her up yesterday to check my fuel mileage.  Figured out to 11.4 mpg. What kind of fuel mileage do you guys get?  I thought it interesting that such small 6 cylinder with 89.5 hp would be such a gas hog.  Sure have come a long way in 60+ years.  My Dodge 2500 diesel gets 28 mpg on the interstate and is rated 600 ft-lb torque!!!

Not that bad, my 318/727 with 3.55 gears only gets 9-11. But it is in a Sweptline, put a chimney brick on a cinder block, set it on a rusted up old roller skate (the kind that takes a key) to get an idea of the aerodynamics or lack there of. Same engine in the 49 would probably get 14-18mpg. The 218 running with bad compression got 12mpg, it is in dire need of a re-ring (or a 230 swap) and better gearing. 3 speed and 4.78s really hold it back.

I get around 13 in the 1 ton.  Haven't put enough miles on the 2.5 tonner to see what that gets.

when driving to town a lot, the '48 w/ 218+3spd+4.10 and the '49 w/ 230+4spd+4.10 got around 12-14 mpg...this was when I would drive them upwards of 45 mph, I reckon if I took some of the lead out of my right foot the mileage would go up a tad :cool:

In my 4 tonner with the big Moly Block twin carb engine 6-8 MPG.

Bob

On two trips one up to 6,000 ft from 500 feet ASL  a 100 mile RT and another a 360 mile round trip in the flat central california valley I got 14 mpg at 60/65 mph. I have a 97 Wrangler 3.73 rear axle and radial tires, three on the tree. Otherwise stock. I have a 52 B3B,  I would guess that's about as good as one can expect. With an overdrive maybe 17. 

Edited by pflaming

I've got no idea what economy I get out of mine. Our fuel price here in Oz presently equates to about $6.05 per gallon (in your talk). I just have fun driving it and then top up the gas tank when it needs it.

That's my attitude most of the time too. I was curious to see what kind of mileage it got during the trip, so I tracked it. Otherwise I don't worry about it. I just have fun with it.

Merle

Sounds like I am in the ball park. I think everything is running optimum.  I set the timing using vacuum and the fuel mixture by the book.  All the ignition parts are new.   I am going to pull out a spark plug and see what it looks like just to be sure.

I have not yet determined the axle ratio or tare weight of my truck.  Gotta do both.  The only truck scales near my house was a landscape supply that went belly up this spring.  Maybe I can talk the wife into counting the drive shaft rotations in the driveway tonight.  Probably cost me a fancy dinner out.

Take a piece of twine and tape it to the bottom of the driveshaft.  Make a mark on one of the rear tires at 6 o'clock and roll the vehicle forward until the tire makes exactly 1 complete revolution.  Count the wraps of string on the driveshaft and that will give you a ballpark of the ratio.  To be more exact, mark the string in increments equal to the circumfrance of the driveshaft tube.  This'll get ya in the ballpark.

Being that you list your truck as a B-1-F not a B-1-FA 2 speed, the single speed rear end available ratio's were...5.625 to 1 or a 6.285 to 1 screamer ratio!

Ratio is stamped on left side of differential  carrier between the two center mounting studs.

Bob

Well I have put about 120 miles on Big Red this summer with zero break downs.  I think I would drive this truck anywhere with no worries.  Filled her up yesterday to check my fuel mileage.  Figured out to 11.4 mpg. What kind of fuel mileage do you guys get?  I thought it interesting that such small 6 cylinder with 89.5 hp would be such a gas hog.  Sure have come a long way in 60+ years.  My Dodge 2500 diesel gets 28 mpg on the interstate and is rated 600 ft-lb torque!!!

That doesn't seem to be that bad of fuel economy, thats a big truck for only a 89.5 hp engine and "X" ft-lbs. What years the Cummins, any modifications done to it? Thats awfully good fuel mileage, i have an '03 2500 with the 24 V Cummins and dont get anywhere near that kind of mileage. 

Hi;

It's a 2006 with no modifications, bone stock.  If I run 70 mph on the interstate, the computer says 25.5 mpg, but at 55 mph, which is just into high gear, it reads 28.

I don't know if the computer is accurate, I have never checked it by filling up and doing the math.  I prefer to believe it!

all the onboard computer mileage calculators on my Chrysler products are close enough you can believe them...last check doing the math show a .1 difference in favor of the match...my mini van loaded and returning home running through the mountains and such form Alum Creek WV to Columbia SC at 26.2 MPG at interstate speed and air conditioning..

brad,

i'd be ecstatic if my b-1-fa got 11 mpg. i've put over 700 miles on it this year, and the best "tank average" i got was 8 mpg. it's usually between 6 and 7 mpg, similar to what bob gets in his 4-ton. i was hoping to get around 11, but that isn't going to happen. the empty truck weighs quite a bit, as mine is equipped with a dump body. it has a large piston, steel dump underframe unit/crossmembers, wood bed and sides, with steel stakes.

wally

Do you have your tires inflated to proper truck type pressures???  A friend of mine had a high top camper van that had 8 ply truck tires on it.  He always complained about sway and wander, terrible ride, terrible handling, and low fuel mileage.  Worse everything when towing the boat trailer.  I asked him about tire pressure, said he was running 36/38.  Looked at the tires and they were calling for 60 with a moderate load and 85 for a heavy load.  He put in 70 and his issues disappeared.

all the onboard computer mileage calculators on my Chrysler products are close enough you can believe them...last check doing the math show a .1 difference in favor of the match...my mini van loaded and returning home running through the mountains and such form Alum Creek WV to Columbia SC at 26.2 MPG at interstate speed and air conditioning..

my 2002 dodge diesel computer lies all the time. its constantly telling me these fantastic numbers. i actually checked it a couple times only to find out the disapointing truth

Hi;

It's a 2006 with no modifications, bone stock.  If I run 70 mph on the interstate, the computer says 25.5 mpg, but at 55 mph, which is just into high gear, it reads 28.

I don't know if the computer is accurate, I have never checked it by filling up and doing the math.  I prefer to believe it!

oh, and i get around 14mpg in my 49

Edited by Ram Man 02

my 2002 dodge diesel computer lies all the time. its constantly telling me these fantastic numbers. i actually checked it a couple times only to find out the disapointing truth

oh, and i get around 14mpg in my 49

My 2004 Toyota Prius is, shall we say, optimistic in its display of fuel mileage. But total miles driven in the 9.75 years I've had the car divided by all the gas put into it works out to 44.48 MPG.

In the last 5 years my '33 Plymouth has averaged 14.897 MPG. That has been pulled down by some recent longer trips as it does not get anywhere near as good mileage at 60 MPH as it does at 45 MPH. Need to slow down and smell the roses. . .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am a fan of keeping track of fuel consumption on my vehicles. Not so much because I am worried about the fuel consumption, but because it is a usefull diagnostic tool. If your tank averages are x, x, x, then x-5mpg then maybe it is time to dust off the wrenches.

• 6 months later...

I'm not knowledgeable on the topic, but I am interested to learn more about the 5.9 Cummins (which I think is the 6BT).  Some of the members commenting in this topic may have looked at my project (B-1-JMA Build) and know it is (or will be) on a 77 Dodge M500 motorhome chassis that currently has a 440/727 setup in it.  I'm thinking a diesel would be a lot more fuel efficient than the 8-10 MPG that I might get with the 440.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  OBTW, I sure enjoy this forum, lots of good people sharing interesting stuff.  Jim

I'm putting a 6BT in my next truck.  For a pickup truck from the mid 90's they seem to get 17mpg stock....people have gotten them up to about 20mpg.

Think of the smiles yer gettin' per mile and it makes it all worthwhile

• Like 1