The Rolls-Royce of Plymouths

A legendary attribute of early Rolls-Royce Motorcars was the ability to balance a coin on the radiator whilst the engine was purring quietly. While there is neither a R-R or 5-shilling coin in this video, here is friend Jerry's 1950 Plymouth with a Canadian Loonie riding the fresh air vent, radiator and cylinder head!

• Like 5

Very nice and smooth running car. Jerry certainly has it running extremely well. I love the dash in those cars too.

For our American friends who don’t know, a Loonie is the Canadian $1 coin first used in 1986. No paper dollars here. There is also a popular two dollar coin called a Toonie. Smallest paper money is $5. 

Nice , the Chuby guys with thair fancy high lift , power cams, cannot even dream about a motor that's runs that smooth 

My father told me one time he was in a car with a straight 8 (do not know make or year) that the only way he could tell it was running was to put his hand on gearshift and feel for small vibration 

9 hours ago, RobertKB said:

For our American friends who don’t know, a Loonie is the Canadian $1 coin first used in 1986. 

And, it is called a "Loonie" because one side has a depiction of a loon on it.  Calling them Loonies was inevitable... 

A beautiful example of a Special Deluxe!

You notice the only reason the coin fell over was the torque of the engine when it was revved up.

• Like 2

Plymouth Dodge Chrysler as you step up in comfort level. Lets not forget the Desotos! Which in my humble opinion dont get their just due! Whoes got a spare Airflow collecting barn dust? But thats another forum. Thats the RR of Chrysler cars

Edited by Booger
spel

A thing that I notice with mine is when driving at idle through a parking lot or field at a show  cruise in, people will just walk out from between cars, or mosey along in front of us as we arrive or leave.  Then they turn their head and be surprised I'm behind them.  Gonna have to loosen up a lifter or two.

a good stereo would be of benefit here or an aptly mounted exhaust cut out......I quit showing due to the fact that the audience is free to roam and I am locked in place till the event is over.  I will never put myself in such a position again.  I will make the cruise-in, come and go as you wish when you wish...21 years since I place a car on display at a show and 21 years since I even attend to view said shows.  The finished car even my own are less entertaining than that of a bare naked project car parked on the back fence.  

• Like 1

I had to try it for myself. I used a 2003 D Honest Abe penny. I just show one picture, but I have another through the driver side window showing oil pressure. This is on my 49 first edition Coupe, I did have the harmonic damper rebuilt on both Coupes. I think the quietest engine I’ve been around was my wife’s 36 Hudson Terraplane 4 door sedan. It would easily pass the smooth engine coin test. Cute garage trick though. If that doesn’t work, use a nickel. Rick D.

IMG_0769.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 9 foot box said:

I had to try it for myself. I used a 2003 D Honest Abe penny. I just show one picture, but I have another through the driver side window showing oil pressure. This is on my 49 first edition Coupe, I did have the harmonic damper rebuilt on both Coupes. I think the quietest engine I’ve been around was my wife’s 36 Hudson Terraplane 4 door sedan. It would easily pass the smooth engine coin test. Cute garage trick though. If that doesn’t work, use a nickel. Rick D.

IMG_0769.jpeg

Who rebuilt your damper?

hbrepair.com, Dale Manufacturing. He might be retired. He is in Salem, OR. The other one that I found is Damper Doctor in Redding, CA. I chose Dale at the time, because he was an independent, hands on business. The other is probably good, but I went with Dale. Rick D.

On 5/5/2024 at 11:21 AM, RobertKB said:

Loonie and toonie. Loonie is eleven sided and toonie obviously bimetal. 

IMG_5721.jpeg.2ef168961afc8ec41bcf9f296cbf7e7c.jpeg

Is it toonie or twonie?