1973 anyone?

Frank Elder

"American Grafitti"  movie appeared in theatres?... ;)  

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

I think I see the car I bought back then....

I could not afford a 1973 car back then - my daily driver was a bit older. :)

I could not afford a 1973 car back then - my daily driver was a bit older. :)

A 1973 Dodge Dart Custom was the first brand new off the lot car I purchased.  Here it is 42 years later and I have just purchased my second only new off the lot vehicle...also a Dodge..both painted bright white.

A 1973 Dodge Dart Custom was the first brand new off the lot car I purchased.  Here it is 42 years later and I have just purchased my second only new off the lot vehicle...also a Dodge..both painted bright white.

Nice to have purchased another new off the lot vehicle, brand loyalty no less. Tim,you have me curious - what model did you buy? 

I have the greatest like for mini vans...this one now make three mini vans on the road for me..my daily, mums daily and this one for OTR use as needed.....plus I still have my big B250 crusier van...they are the most versatile set of wheels made...

for the record...I have had Mopar from day one as my dependable daily trans...I have a few English sports cars but they are under "kids having fun"  owned a few Porsches in the past...mid life crisis purchase...and I have an orphan model or two here...too many toys...just too many toys...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Tim, Nice to have a new vehicle to jump into with all the modern comforts for the longer road trips. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Speaking of toys, I have a few as well - keeps me occupied. :)

In '73 I was a Sophomore at USU, driving a '66 Ford Coupe I'd rebuilt during the last year of high school.

I traded that for an MG midget. Second worst move of my whole life. A fun car to drive, but about as reliable as a Yugo.

I soon traded the MG for a '66 Belair 4-dr, which was maybe the 2nd most reliable car I ever owned, but used a little oil.

• Like 1

My first new car was a 1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye.

This was a very special edition... it came factory equipped with a trunk full of water and a non-working fuel gauge. One would think

that the dealer was paid to find/fix something like that.....

Like so many folks I got rid of it waaaay too soon.

1973... just finished a frame off restoration of my 52 plymouth belvedere hardtop. Still have it.

1973... just finished a frame off restoration of my 52 plymouth belvedere hardtop. Still have it.

I was in the Army, forward deployed keeping America safe and allowing those at home to continue their projects with the  ability to also sleep good at night....as viewed from my perspective...lol   looking back...some of the best years of my life...

That's really cool. A sea of A, B, and C bodies!

The black car on the closest train at the bottom is a Newport 4dr HT. Just to the right looks like a couple Dusters, then a Monaco or Polara wagon (w/ wood grain siding). Then a dark green Dart. Then a couple of coronets, and another Dart.

Doesn't look like any hub caps have been installed yet....

Edited by John-T-53

April '73, just tested out early from a 2 yr Auto tech program, had my first real job wrenching on heavy equipment at a whopping 1.85 per,  driving a 65 Mustang coupe with a hopped up 289 Hipo and had just met my future wife,    Still wrenching and still have the wife, 41 years later.  65 mustang is long gone over 35 years ago, a 72 Mach 1 is being rebuilt to take it's place, my current project, about 95 percent of metal work completed.  There's a few in between I'd like to have back, a few more I've worked on I'd would've liked to own. and a dozen or more I'd like to build.

• Like 1

$1.85 wasn't much, even back then. I was making $5/hr building VW engines in some little shop in Utah, while I was on Summer vacation.

I built up a '67 Mustang V8 for my sister, then stuffed it in a ditch the first ride. Fortunately it was a soft ditch & damage was slight, but there was a small trout inside the car when retrieved. I caught a lot of flack over that adventure.  :rolleyes:

Can this get moved the off-topics area?

What's??  it's already there!!  :P

• Like 1

First new truck I bought off the lot was a 1977 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4X4.Wasn't much of a choice where we were living at the time. It was either Ford or GM... I still own the truck and it's been a good one. :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe