Oil @ Tractor Supply

greg g

Just visited my area TSC to pick up some oil. Shelves had a pretty meager selection.  On the positive side, there was a good supply of SAE 20 and 30.  Plenty of SAE 10w 40. Some of that new 5w 20 stuff.  I have been using thier 15w40 Traveller All Fleet brand since my rebuild 14 years ago.  This oil is now 10W 40. I guess at this point in time, I will pretend I didnt notice the change and carry on as before. Which was adding a pint every 600 or 700 miles between annual changes.

Now I guess I need to consider replacing my 2008 tires.

11 hours ago, greg g said:

Just visited my area TSC to pick up some oil. Shelves had a pretty meager selection.  On the positive side, there was a good supply of SAE 20 and 30.  Plenty of SAE 10w 40. Some of that new 5w 20 stuff.  I have been using thier 15w40 Traveller All Fleet brand since my rebuild 14 years ago.  This oil is now 10W 40. I guess at this point in time, I will pretend I didnt notice the change and carry on as before. Which was adding a pint every 600 or 700 miles between annual changes.

Now I guess I need to consider replacing my 2008 tires.

Just ordered Douglas, made in the USA tires for the Cranbrook from Walmart,$76 each, will mount them myself. 16 yo tires is really pushing it!!!!

tires are a limited life commodity....they subject to lots of abuse....kept inside out of the harsh direct sunlight they fare pretty well on the collector/hobby cars with limited use.  At age 32 years I replaced a set with zero cracking on sidewall or between the treads....they still looked great, but they did fail by way of bulge with belt separation but yet, the rubber never split.  There are tell tell signs of most all radials going south.  Never had a tire yet other than a set of Goodyears fail without prior indicator that is easily detected and if you attend it when it 'tells' you likely never to have a road use issue. 

So in 2005 I bought 4 uniroyal 205 75 r15 radials from Walmart,at 52 bucks with mounting balancing and unlimited road hazard warranty, mounted on new 15 inch aftermarket rims,if memory serves I ran them for 2 years.  They were a bit short in diameter compared to the 6.00x16 original size.  In 2007 we decided to drive to Charlotte, NC to attend the POC event there. In preparation for the trip I mounted a pair of 225 75r15 on the rear to drop some rpms going down the road.  I put the 205 take offs in a black contractors trash bag and stored them under my work bench in the garage.  Three years ago, I replaced the fronts with the stored pair.  After about 45000 miles the fronts showed equal wear, at about half tread depth, no scalloping and no visible checking or bulging. The reserved set still looked new with 80 % tread and no visible faults.  They have about 9000 miles on them since re mounting.  The rears now have about 60k on them.  They show as good condition with about 1/2 tread left.   They came from Pep Boys and are what was then their Cornell house brand, according to the paper work their out the door price was 115 for the pair.  Looking back, my father would be proud of my parsemoney in this matter.  Others would call me a cheap SOB.  Whatever, I think, 

I will let them ride for the season.  Looking on line, both the 205 75 and 225 75 sizes have been relegated to trailer sizes through tegular retail sources, so not good news.  I loath the thought of dealing with Cocker...

• Like 1

The Goodyear tires on my 80 Volare were bought in 2007.  Now have about 26,000 miles in them. They look new and live in the garage most of the time.  Never loose air nor any sign of cracking. Still have the nubs on the outside of them. And the used tires I put on my 52 in 2014 still look good, hold air, and drive well. I am torn about what to do as any new set I get will get the same use as these do. Mostly slower speeds and relatively short trips. 

remember this, there are guidelines for tires replacement based on age...there is NO MANDATE.....repsonisbily of operation and safety falls on the owner.   I miss Pep Boys as I bought local from them so finding tires can be a problem.  The biggest issue is I do my own mounting and balancing for my own personal reasons.  The big chain store tires sales in this area WILL NOT sell out the door tires.  They do the mount and balance and or not sell.  They make all their profits in the bay...not on the retail price of the tire so  Not part of this equation.  What is stated by Greg is true that tires currently available are ST prefixed and when asking/buying by size are the tires that first show up on return, you must shop by vehicle to get correct application from most websites, whereas for us with these older cars running modern tires, you will not find a listing.    For me, if I want a passenger tire for an older application I find a modern vehicle of approximate weight and such that come stock with the tire size I am interested in and then you will get tailored listing for what brands are available.  THEN you can search for that tire by brand and tire model name/number for your better prices if you wish.  I am sure the majority of the folks here know and do just this.  But in the big box stores, majority of customers in the tire market drive late model and let the retailer do the rest.....base question to most of these folks is simply, what mileage or price range you wish to buy?  

Im with you Plymouth Adams, i mount of my classic car tires. As purchase places ive been buying tires from Amazon delivered to my door. You wouldn't think about it but they have a good selection.

Our small town has Lowes, Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, Fastenal, and a family-run auto parts store. I like Tractor Supply, especially for their hardware-by-the-pound and their work pants (wear them nearly every day). Life is good.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I admit to going to tractor supply often also. My jack stands, floor jacks .... Boots, bolts, the paint on my truck, plants and garden supplies.

I think of it as a big convenience store that sells things I like .... I recently went there to look at oil.

I buy my oil from walmart usually, I need Dexron III ATF for the wife car. Walmart did not have it.

So I looked at TSC ... they did not have it either. I will order from Amazon now.

What I did see was some pretty incredibly high prices for oil at TSC. Oil at walmart was $20-$40 for 5 quarts, $40-$65 at tsc for same stuff.

I like tsc but not for oil. .... And the shelf's were pretty bare.

23 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I got notice my tires are to be delivered today....225/75R15 for the 94 B250.......next up, tires for the 06 Caravan....wow do the years fly by....

What did you get in the 225/75?

On 4/16/2024 at 7:56 AM, DJK said:

Just ordered Douglas, made in the USA tires for the Cranbrook from Walmart,$76 each, will mount them myself. 16 yo tires is really pushing it!!!!

Years ago Goodyear made LOTS of third party tires., including Douglas.  I wonder if they still do?

Motor oil prices are pretty even across the board at the chain auto parts stores up here.  Walmart tends to be a few cents less expensive, but they usually don't have what I want if it's for one of the old cars.  Gotta shop around, Advanced Auto Parts is the only place up here that stocks the Valvoline racing oil that I started using in the D24, and TSC is the only place that stocks SAE 30 that I use in my Beetle, although the SAE 30 is labeled as "all purpose lubricating oil" and not "motor oil".  Our TSC is relatively small, and caters to farming and "hobby farming", so all their lubricants tend to be for diesel and machinery requirements, and older engines.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:37 AM, Sniper said:

I went to Tractor Supply this past weekend, for the second time in my life.

That is all, carry on ship's work.

We just had one open about three miles from my house.  I keep planning a sojourn to see what it is like but so far haven’t made it. I have been a Farm and Fleet customer for forty years or so so habits are ingrained.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook