2024 Total Eclipse

Today is the big day.  Gona be cloudy and raining by this afternoon.  Still going to go visit with the family.  And one of the guys that I used to work with is going with me.  Won't be able to see the sun but it will still get dark and I get to visit with family.  Not taking the 47 P15 - Haven't fixed the vacuum wiper motor yet.  So I'm going to take the 2007 Nissan 350Z.  Guess I could take my adult car - a ford flex - but that wouldn't be any fun.  

Into the darkness  😎

Sitting here eating some left over pizza for lunch and saw this thread. By golly it is getting dark out there.

I put on my welding helmet and went out and looked around. ..... Currently the sun only has 1/4 showing as the moon is covering it .... Radio says 10 more minute and will be totally covered.

Make that Z fly!

Well, I went out and looked at it.  Not in the path of totality, only 97% here.  It got a bit dark out, temp dropped a bit.  Tried to take a pic, but no dice. 

That's two eclipses for me in the last 8 months or so.  An annular and a total.

Wee, lol.

Pictures are from another forum a friend who is closer to Dallas took them and just posted .... I'm just sharing them.

I am not exactly in the path either .... I did wake up the wife from her afternoon nap to show her what was going on and was a once in a lifetime deal to see it .... I put my welding helmet on her ..... I explained the main show would be here in about 3 minute ..... cool she said and went back to her nap.

Last photo I think it is Jupiter you see.

Edited by Los_Control

We were in the 90 something percent range here. Total cloudy and sprinkling rain from the start through the most coverage. Looked out a little later and the sun was out. About 1/3 blocked by the moon, got to see that much.

From another friend in Dallas .... They are directly in the path. I'm 3.5 hours West of Dallas but parallel to the path .... I saw it get a little dark is all ..... this video from a drone. Guy is at work and took this. It starts at about 7 minute into it and it really gets dark there in Dallas .... nothing like that here.

We were in the 92/93% area. It probably got 7:30pm type dark and the temp dropped a bit. For the first time in ages, there was not a cloud in the sky. My better half, myself, and Buster dog watched while having lunch on the deck. Well, Buster didn't watch the eclipse but watched while we were chowing down.

Ok.  So.  That was probably the most spectacular celestial thing I've ever seen.  I still wouldn't go out of my way to see another total eclipse, but I am definitely glad I got to see this one.  We were in the 100% zone, the skies were crystal clear, and we had an unobstructed view, so for three minutes and some seconds, all you could see was the sun's corona, and three stars/planets that popped up, seemingly out of nowhere.  Like turning on a light switch.  Funny light effects for an hour leading up to it during the partial eclipse, then BAM, it's dark, the temp dropped a good ten degrees, the wind stopped, everything got quiet, and you could look at the moon/sun with the naked eye, surrounded by the awesome display of the sun's corona.  I guess I was expecting groups of white-robed Druids to pop up chanting pagan rituals, not that that didn't happen, but I didn't see any.  I had to go through town earlier in the morning and it was already crowded at 0800, but then we stayed home.  Had some friends over later to watch the event, who said it was packed downtown when they went through at about 12.  Doesn't look like we got the full quota of madness that was predicted, but still got enough people to challenge our planning and preparations.  Traffic on I-95 northbound was not quite bumper to bumper, but it stopped to watch the event for a good 45 minutes.  The day isn't over yet, though, and tomorrow is worthy of staying home, too, everyone who trickled in over the past three days will be leaving at once.  I got a kick out of this - there was a rumor going around that Taylor Swift flew into the Houlton International Airport on her private jet to witness the total eclipse.  A friend was assigned to monitoring inbound air traffic, (his wife and kids were who came to our house to witness the event), all he would say was that a fancy private jet flew in, but he wouldn't confirm/deny her presence, despite our encouragement to propagate that rumor whether true or not.   So, if you've never been outside, standing on the ground, to actually see a total eclipse in person, I think you've missed something worth seeing.  Won't be another one in North America for something like 20 years.   

• Like 3

The cloudy day grew even cloudier at high noon, so the total eclipse was highly obscured. It became dark in a hurry for totality, and the springtime critter noises gave way to an eery quiet as the wind was calm, with attempts to capture totality akin to capturing lightning. But there was a break in the clouds enough to frame this as totality ended...WINNING 🇺🇸

20240408_234501.jpg.a8256f4ba77d561ecf14d61d48795d1b.jpg

• Like 1

Less than 50% here. ;(

I got an iPhone alert at 10:48, I first noticed it on my floor, as there was a pinhole in the cloth awning above. My wife pulled out glasses she still had from 2017.

I didn't take any photos, as I know my camera's limitations.  Perusing photos, both here and elsewhere, none do justice so far.  The corona we could see up here was a good 10-times bigger than shown in any of the photos or videos I've seen so far, not just a haze circling the moon, more like stereotypical sunburst designs, with wispy tendrils reaching away from the sun/moon.  That's why I was so ho-hum about the event, I'd only seen photos that all just show that small haze of a corona, I wouldn't call them boring, but they aren't spectacular either.  Actually seeing it without the filter of the camera lens made the difference. 

yeah, but in Young Sheldon, Annie Potts is the better Memaw character.....the Moon Pie from Chattanooga Bakery has always been a favorite of mine, the chocolate double decker is the one to get.   I was at the wrecking yard yesterday pulling some parts while before they crushed the vehicle and stopped at the Mennonite country store for a soda and snack.  If not a Moon Pie I will often grab a snack pack of Nutter Butters.  This is also the only place I will stop and buy a soda....I drink so few soda.  They also sell a very good bottled Birch Beer soft drink.