Differential drain plug. 5/16" square?

motoMark

I have what is called a dog-bone tool that has various sized square ends to fits these type of indented sockets. I found mine at a local swap meet for $5.00.  Come in very handy for those odd sized bolts.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

5 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I have what is called a dog-bone tool that has various sized square ends to fits these type of indented sockets. I found mine at a local swap meet for $5.00.  Come in very handy for those odd sized bolts.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I have not seen one of them since a kid working at the local gas station when in high school....I think I will keep an eye peeled for one of these when at the swap meets this spring.  Thanks for the memory jog.   

• Like 1

Mine was a problem taking it out.  The dogbone didn't work.  The 3/8 rachet didn't work.  Nothing worked because the hole was rounded out and it was rusted in place.  I had to use a kind of easy out to get it out with some heat added.  I decided to not replace it with a female plug, and bought a male pipe plug instead.  Now, it will be easy to remove the next time I drain the diff.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have not seen one of them since a kid working at the local gas station when in high school....I think I will keep an eye peeled for one of these when at the swap meets this spring.  Thanks for the memory jog.   

Alot of people walk past these old tools because they do not know what they were used on and the purpose. Being exposed t these older tools helps when you find them. You do not use them everyday but when needed they safe alot of time, and skinned knuckles. Also since wood shop and metal shop in Junior HS are now only setup for the kids going to vo-tech the kids of today do not get any experience with tools and the basics of how to use tools. Such as how to start a cross cut on a piece of wood with a saw or even a rip hand saw to cut with the grain.  i had a great basic education back in the late 1950 thru the late 1960's. Would not trade that education for what they are teaching today.  All the kids of today know is how to play games with their hands on their hand held phones and on the internet.

Rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

This was I ordered this summer from Amazon , works perfect,, 
CTA Tools 2049 Square Head Drain Plug Sockets, 2-Piece Set

• Designed to Service female Square Plugs
  • Set Includes 8-Millimeter and 10-Millimeter Sockets
  • Applications Include: BMW, Ford, Toyota and Renault Vehicles
  • Use with a 3/8-Inch Square Drive
  • Heavy-Duty Construction Allows for Strength and Durability

CTA Tools 2049 Square Head Drain Plug Sockets, 2-Piece Set : Amazon.ca: Automotive

Edited by lepic56

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Whoever wrote the description of this tool got it backwards.  This tool is designed to service female square plugs!  

My work is now Politically Correct and the “Male” and “Female” electrical connectors are now 

“Pin” and “Socket” ?‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

High School shop classes were great. We had wood shop metal shop and auto. It introduced me to welding which I became a union metal worker and artist now sitting on his ass  Seldom seen now a days but your better off taking a softwear class to work on a car. Fellow classmate put a 350 in the backseat of a corvair. And it worked!

asked the rich kids with the Porsches   A dogbone I believe is a male wrench

I installed three dog bones on my FWD Austin....guess a number of things can be called that due to the basic shape...but for my application, they are stabilizer bars. One top center on the cylinder head....one on each side of the transmission which is in the engine oil pan. 

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

Given that the size seems to be a shaved 5/16”. Is there a definitive size for the PIN/Male wrench? Maybe 9/32”? Or

based on the links above an 8 or 7mm metric ? What was the “official” tool from Chrysler? Some miller tool?