Anyone going to get hit by the big storm??

BobT-47P15

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in Freehold, about 10 miles inland from the Jersey shore. All indications are that it will be a rough storm. The school district has already announced that schools will be closed Monday and Tuesday. We went shopping Thursday night and stocked-up on the essentials. Today we moved the outdoor stuff into the garage. Our biggest concern is loss of electricity.

We're sure to get hammered here. No chance of flooding at the house as we're situated high above the river, but the town of Bloomsburg and surrounding low lying areas will undoubtedly get flooded (again). Generator is ready to go, as we lose power here if a crow sneezes. Stocked up on water, groceries, propane, and gasoline. Good luck to everyone.

Wayne

We're hearing big winds and heavy rain here in mass. Car is tucked away in its winter home. Genset is gassed up and ready to go. This is a typical New England event for us. Just heard all of the National Grid crews got called in today to prep for storm damage. Thankfully the leaves on the trees have fallen as that's the usual culprit for severe damage.

From all accounts sounds as if the Jersey shore is going to get the worst part of the storm. They have evactuated everyone on the barrier islands.

We are expecting rain, flooding and power outages. Hoping for the best so we just have to ride it out. Best of luck to anyone along the Jersey, Virgina and Delaware cost line.

Be safe in what ever you do and remember a down electical or any down wire is a HOT HOT HOT wire expecially after a rain and the puddles and electricity likes to follow a water path. SO BE EXTRA CAREFUL.

When I look back at what Washingtons Troops had to endure during their winter encapment in Valley Forge I guess this is not so bad. They had no heat no food and had no winter clothing and had to live in Huts with little or no protection, Then we all have it pretty good compared to those standards.

So it could always be worse but have to look on the brighter side of things.

Rich HArtung Valley Forge PA

It sounds like you guys on the east coast are going to cop a pounding. They were saying on the news here (in Oz) today that the storm is something like 500 kilometres across and moving slowly, and that the east coast may suffer the effects of strong wind and rain for something like 25 hours. Here's hoping that the lengthy warning period has allowed all sufficient time to prepare for such a nasty attack from mother nature, and that the damage is minimal and the loss of life is nil.

Stay safe member's of my extended family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Desotodav

Last year at this time we got 10 inches of snow. Right after that storm I was in Vegas for SEMA.

This year a hurricane and I will be home with my wife. Am glad I will be home as I would worry about her.

With the rain total they say we will be getting, am really glad it's not colder or the east coast would be covered by 10 ft of snow.

Just hope we don't lose electric.

Big concern here is saturated ground, and strong winds from the north/north east. Supposedly the root systems of the trees around here have grown to withstand south/southwest winds and the combination of wet ground and winds from the north may lead to a lot of downed trees - and power lines. There's still a lot of leaves in the trees to catch the wind, too. The in-laws live in South Amboy, NJ, which is where we were when Irene hit. They're on high ground, so their main concern is power outages.

Hurricane Sandy herself isn't the scourge here, its the two cold-fronts that are meeting her.

Not supposed to hit here until 5 or so, but the winds have already shifted and are picking up. The Ol' Dodge should be safe, but the Terraplane is in the back garage with a whopping big oak tree hovering over it. Its south of the garage, so - theoretically at least - if it falls it would be away from the building.

I used to tease my brother, who lives north of Houston, that living up north might mean cold and snow, but at least we don't have to worry about hurricanes. So much for that.

The winds here in central Mass have started to pick up. Fairly gusty right now, and getting to be pretty steady. Certainly sounds like a freight train is coming. Rain is sporadic at best. Lights have started to flicker so I gassed up the genset. Time to head out to refill the gas can.