Show your tools.

Don Coatney

post-6380-0-99563200-1383594458_thumb.jpgHere are a few of my favorite tools...some older some new. First is my Snap-On Cooling system pressure tester. This thing is worth its weight in gold when it comes to checking the integrity of a cooling system. Next is my tach dwell meter. In this day and age I dont really use this thing as much as I used to, but when the need arises it comes through for me. My absolute favorite tool is my Power Probe Master Kit. This thing is the be-all end-all as far as an electrical system diagnostic tool. I can manually apply power or ground, built in multimeter, and the short-circuit finder is almost like magic. You just hook up one end of the box to the circuit you want to test and run the detector over the wiring and it has beeps and lights to tell you which direction the short is in and whether it is a short to power or short to ground or even a broken wire. Definitely worth every penny...and it works on 6v too!

post-6380-0-59772000-1383594518_thumb.jpg

post-6380-0-94961100-1383594563_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Have seen the power Probes for sale before and they always made me think Too good to be true!

Glad they work, wish I'd bought one when 50% of my job at one time seemed to be trouble shooting wireing problems on forklifts, boomlift, sissorlifts.

Can't afford it right now, but on my wish list!

Doug

I picked mine up from Auto Zone of all places...they had them on sale and I managed to beat them down a little bit more on the price so I couldnt pass it up. It has paid for itself at least 10 times in time alone spent chasing a short. The ability to apply power or ground on demand makes electrical component diagnosis a snap.  I don't know why I waited so long to get one...I remember having to use paper clips and jumper wires...those days are a thing of the past now!

Paper clips yes, but much more avail in the shops I worked in were small cotter keys, open the up and you got and easy connection down into plug in connectors,  :rolleyes:   the right tools for the job always make it easier!

I'll keep an eye out now for a good price. My I ask what you managed to get the set for?  Will give me at least a starting point for comparison. Thanks!

Doug

I paid 200 for my kit about 5 or 6 months ago. I think they are up to 249 now for the master kit with the short finder. Just the regular power probe 3 is something like 149.

Thanks for the response. A little expensive for me, But, maybe I can talk a buddy who loves tools and has more $$ than I do? :lol:

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

TOOLBOX ARSENAL:

I ran the numbers, and it was going to be cheaper to by a Harbor Freight 1000# engine stand than to make one.  And once completed, this unit had a small problem:

post-2888-0-31633600-1384659242_thumb.jpg

...so I took it back for an exchange  :rolleyes:

Edited by JBNeal
revised information

Horror Freight has some scary stuff at times! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

TOOLBOX ARSENAL: 

I hadn't driven the '49 in a few days, so the carb probably needed filling.  Taking a suggestion under advisement, I filled the Vienna sausage can with gasoline and improvised a dusty unused oil squirt can I found to fill with the metered gasoline.  The nozzle fits in the carb vent tube, and I was able to put most of the gasoline in the float chamber without using a screwdriver.  It was much faster and I wasn't stressing about dropping a screw in the yard.

post-2888-0-34447300-1385860094_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised information

Looks like you need a tool box, Shel. ;)

Had it all in a 10 X 18 canvass tool bad. Emptied it out to clean up the little nuts and screws that end up in the bottom. Glad they have wheelbarrows there. That load of tools was around 44 lbs. That, and about 50 lbs of parts is a struggle in the snow.

I have a couple of the military style tool pouches...they were considered the cat meow when I worked DoD Navy and made service calls aboard surface craft and submarines...after a few ventures out with that bag...I canned it in favor of a special converted ammo box I put together with lift out trays etc...still have that box today...I later utilized a leather doctors bag as their compartments made for carrying three trays of highly utilized service parts. don't get me wrong..good for securing your tools and made for easy transport..but it was inevitable that I had to dump it's contents to find what tool I needed...today I like the plastic injected molded boxes..they ensure you leave with the tools you come with as each has its own slot...

Tools for the last trip to the u-pull.

Quite a selection of odd tools to take to a U-Pull. A Miller brake adjusting/drum measure tool ($400+ Ebay prices) plus a few others! :huh:

Doug

Does anyone know what this is?  I has 'AC Spark plug' stamped on it  I found it attached to the vacumm on the carburator of a 1964 cadillac.

My buddy told me it was a flux-capacitor adjusting tool...   I somehow dont believe him

post-4811-0-64059200-1386118872_thumb.jpg

Edited by 40desoto
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what this is?  I has 'AC Spark plug' stamped on it  I found it attached to the vacumm on the carburator of a 1964 cadillac.

My buddy told me it was a flux-capacitor adjusting tool...   I somehow dont believe him

Possibly a vacuum source for a wolf whistle as pictured below. Or it could be a vacuum source for a milking machine or some other device requiring vacuum.

GA1.jpg

• Like 1

Quite a selection of odd tools to take to a U-Pull. A Miller brake adjusting/drum measure tool ($400+ Ebay prices) plus a few others! :huh:

Doug

Need to measure the drums before buying them. No point buying a out of tolerance drum :)

The tank on my old Sanborn air compressor that I bought around 1982 started leaking again. I have repaired it twice in the past but this time I thought best to replace it. I searched the internet for a replacement tank but the cost was close to double what I paid for the compressor initially. Today I had to go to Nashville so I stopped at Harbour Freight. They had nothing that I liked. Next stop was Tractor Supply and they also had nothing. Last stop was Northern Tool and I bought a new SNAP-ON compressor from them. Normal price was $199 but they had one on display with the black Friday price of $149 so I bought it. Not exactly what I was looking for but the price was right. I had my old compressor set up on 220 volts and the new one is 110 volt only. Rate on the new one is 5.1 SCFM @ 40# and 4.1 SCFM @ 90#. This is somewhat less than my old one. The pre set tank pressure on the new one is 150#. My old one I had souped up a bit (pulley change and replacement pressure switch) to max out at 135#. I have an axillary tank in my system and I had installed a 150# safety relief valve on this spare tank. It popped on the initial fill so I cranked the regulator down to 140#. I dont do any sand blasting nor painting so this new compressor should suit my needs. It also fits under my bench in the same spot my old one was parked in. I should be good for another 31 years.

PC040003.jpg

PC040004.jpg

PC040005.jpg

PC040006.jpg

Air_Tank_2.jpg

Mvc-006f.jpg

• Like 1

it is highly frowned upon in the compressor business to repair a tank that has a leak that IS NOT a threaded fitting...ie weld seams and rust pinholes...

I've even seen some places say you should replace them at a certain age regardless of leaking or not.

I've even seen some places say you should replace them at a certain age regardless of leaking or not.

Or at least do a static pressure test: Basically fill with an incompressible fluid and then pressurize to twice the maximum working pressure.