Battery Powered Impact Wrench

Bingster

I'm looking to get a battery powered impact wrench to take off wheel lug bolts and such.  I see DeWalt and other brands. Do I need a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch?  What is a good but reasonable model?

7 hours ago, Bingster said:

I'm looking to get a battery powered impact wrench to take off wheel lug bolts and such.  I see DeWalt and other brands. Do I need a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch?  What is a good but reasonable model?

Wheel torque usually requires a 1/2" drive model.   I have taken some off with my 3/8 DeWalt but it doesn't get all of them.   I have the DeWalt battery system so that's what I'd recommend, not because their necessarily better, but changing battery systems is expensive!

If you have battery tools, get the same brand, otherwise IMO their all OK.

I needed to break loose a crankshaft bolt so I purchased this 1/2" Harbor Freight impact. Since it will be used infrequently I didn't want to deal with maintaining and replacing expensive batteries. This thing is a hoss........and the price is right.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/impact-wrenches/85-amp-12-in-impact-wrench-with-rocker-switch-64120.html

64120_W3.jpg

second the use of the 110 volt impact gun......my old Rockwell still performs where all others fall to the wayside.  I never tighten with an impact, I like, have and use the battery tools for removing and running up, but torque wrench comes out then.  

• Like 1

I won't be using it that much either. Head bolts. Stuff like that.  I'm not against using harbor freight stuff, like a sand blasting unit. I probably wouldn't get a welder there.

I bought my son one of Harbor Freight's earthquake air power impacts. That thing has what it takes to get the job done. If you have an air compressor you might consider going that route. The problem with batteries is that they're not cheap they don't last all that long to be honest and you kind of stuck to that brand and when they quit making it then what? I still have my very first impact gun, airpowered, and I bought it in 1988 from JC Whitney.

3 hours ago, Bingster said:

I won't be using it that much either. Head bolts. Stuff like that.  I'm not against using harbor freight stuff, like a sand blasting unit. I probably wouldn't get a welder there.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a HF welder, most important issue is to get the right HF welder for the job. Avoid their cheapest flux welder but they have some well-regarded units in their product line. HF is adding some pretty good stuff across the board, this isn't your daddy's Harbor Freight.  :)

21 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I bought my son one of Harbor Freight's earthquake air power impacts. That thing has what it takes to get the job done. If you have an air compressor you might consider going that route. The problem with batteries is that they're not cheap they don't last all that long to be honest and you kind of stuck to that brand and when they quit making it then what? I still have my very first impact gun, airpowered, and I bought it in 1988 from JC Whitney.

I responded to the question about battery tools.   I have a lot of them, reciprocating saw, drill, little impact, little chain saw/pruner, leaf blower etc.   But for anything requiring real torque I'll grab one of my IR Titanium/composite impacts 2115 or 2135.   I've had those for years and they never disappoint. 

But battery tools are really handy with no hose to drag around, get caught in creeper wheels etc.

I've been using the Ryobi 18V one. It's 1/2 and in tests I watched on YouTube it had the best torque. It's not expensive, but I purchased "after market" hi capacity batteries. I've been using them and the driver for years. I have their 3/8 also, but it's only good for small bolts. The big one has over 1100 ft/lbs of breakaway and 700 of drive. More than I can use.

16 hours ago, Bingster said:

Second on the DeWalt...already have several DeWalt batt.power tools, the 3/8" impact came with a cordless drill, got a coupon from Ace that saved a few bucks on the higher capacity batteries, which are definitely needed when doing heavy work.  I thought the impact was gonna be a weenie but it has surprised me with its sustained torque availability with the bigger batteries.

As I've had to explain to some ppl about cordless power tools, stuff they bought 10-20yrs ago is now obsolete and is no longer supported.  Batt.tech has vastly improved, and imo the quality cordless stuff mostly comes out of the same building in china.  They don't want to spend the $$$ on new stuff,  but replacement obsolete batteries cost more than these new tool sets they run on special at the hardware stores end of the year...and the new tools are much lighter and more powerful than the obsolete tools.  These folks are not reliant on their cordless tools to put food on the table, so eventually their hardheaded whining fades away as they upgrade to stuff that works and they can handle, myself included.  I recently bid adieu to my 2000 model Black & Decker cordless drill, as it was coming apart and the batteries were no longer charging.  The 1970s Black & Decker corded impact is in semi-retirement as the brush retainers kept popping out.  The Dewalt replacements have taken the baton and done nicely, especially when working in tight spaces with low light.

29 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

. . . As I've had to explain to some ppl about cordless power tools, stuff they bought 10-20yrs ago is now obsolete and is no longer supported. . . 

So my 40 year old Makita cordless drill should be retired? Maybe, but the 20 year old battery still holds a charge so I will wait a little longer. :) 

For the hobby use I give it, the 1/2" HF Earthquake pneumatic impact wrench I picked up a few years ago works pretty well for removing lug nuts and stubborn bolts. I only use it for removing fasteners. Same for that matter with my pneumatic 3/8" socket driver/wrench. I am pretty old school about tightening bolts and nuts with hand tools and don't feel comfortable unless non-critical fasteners are "right" by feel and critical fasteners correct by torque wrench.

Years ago when I got out of college my first job was with the Black & Decker Industrial and Construction division. ( 1974 )

They were the world's largest portable electric tool company. After considerable mismanagement they merged with Stanley.

I have to tell you the outfit that's selling the stuff I buy these days is Milwaukee. They used to be the tools plumbers used.

They make some really outstanding cordless tools that impress me. I have their 1/2 inch M18 cordless impact wrench and it works!

A guy I know says Home Depot's Rigid Brand ( another plumber's tool company in the old days ) are warranted for life. When the battery craps out you call them and they send you a new one. They don't even want the old one back. Not sure about all that but that's what he said.

Milwaukee even makes hand tools now. A recent purchase was a really nice 1/4 drive set. The sockets have 4 wrench flats! The case has a removable tray so you can put the set in your tool box. The sockets have the size written on two sides in a way you can actually see. Very thoughtful stuff. 

You know I use the Milwaukee stuff at work myself. The M12 stuff though. However a lot of the construction guys I see are out there running the Milwaukee M18 stuff and those guys live by their tools.

Another Milwaukee user. M18 only however. I do have one of the earlier Milwaukee Nicad battery units and it was useless. Also have an old Chicago Pneumatic gun which still works!   Good set of videos by Project Farm on YouTube testing tools, check out