Car Covers: Good or Bad

Bingster

A plain old tarp or canvass sheet would trap moisture, but good quality car covers breath, so it should not be a problem.  

If it's going to be for outside use, I would be very hesitant.  The wind may move the tarp around just a bit, but it's "sanding" the paint off as it does.  For inside use, I just cover my car with old cotton bed sheets.

• Like 1

I used a car cover outside on a small convertible car for years.  It was made for the car so it was a snug fit.  Even had pockets for the rear view mirrors.  I didn't notice any paint damage but I'm not real picky about that.  I have a one size fits all cover I use on the P15 once in a while.  It's bigger than it needs to be so when I put it on I pull the slack out and use hand clamps to hold the bunched up material so it's snug on the car.  Also keeps the pollen off the car in the spring.  

I use car covers all the time. Sometimes, even on public lots during the day 😋

The main advantage is that it protects your car from sun. The second advantage is that you can protect the car from elements (rain outside, dust from long inside storage, etc.) and keep it clear longer.

The two disadvantages would be:

1) it can scratch the paint, if the car is dirty when covered, or if the cover is not very soft on the inside, and

2) it will trap moisture (I've seen condensation on my vehicles under the "breathable" covers.

To avoid the above disadvantages, just don't cover a dirty car, use a good quality soft cover and, if you have noticeable humidity issues, air your car out as needed :) 

Moreover, I would recommend a cheap cover, so that you would not hesitate to throw it away when worn.

Also, very-very important: when you are buying a cover, make sure it states 100% waterproof, on it. There are plenty of "water repellent", "water resistant", "water shielding", and all sorts of other "water-stuff" covers that will actually let the water through. You don't want that, unless you are planning to use it indoors.

In the past I have used full covers when storing my car indoors. More recently have gone to covering the flat surfaces of the car with old cotton bed sheets only. I was concerned the full cover makes the inside of the car dark. Mice love the dark. Also, the bed sheets are easily washed compared to a full car cover.

• Like 2

My car is in stages of restoration and the paint is not a factor.  It's in a metal building and it gets dusty. I mainly wanted to prevent the gauges from getting dust on them.  I have plastic sheeting taped to every window. The cover is from CarCovers.com.  Basic. $87.00. Should do the job.

59 minutes ago, Bingster said:

My car is in stages of restoration and the paint is not a factor.  It's in a metal building and it gets dusty. I mainly wanted to prevent the gauges from getting dust on them.  I have plastic sheeting taped to every window. The cover is from CarCovers.com.  Basic. $87.00. Should do the job.

Bingster: first since your car is in a metal building you still need to protect the car from rodents.  First thing to do is pull down the sun visors so that they are not flat up against the headliner. Mice like dark places. also cleanout the glove box of any candy wrappers or other food items, clean under the seats and also the ruck area.

You can also use a very strong scented green Irish Spring soap bar cut up into pieces and place them in the front and rea seat area and also in the truck area to deter the rodents.

I would remove the plastic sheeting so that it is no longer dark on the inside of your car. Mice like dark places with the sheeting remove then you can alway see inside the car when walking past the car.

If you have bias ply tires on he car then put a small piece of used rug material under each wheel this prevent the flat spot for sitting on concrete. I have done this with my 39 Desoto for 35 years.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I feel more then I know .... The bad reputation that follows car covers, comes from past owners applying one on a vehicle stored outside then left to rot for 30 years.

A lot of damage comes from sitting for 30 years ..... some you can tribute to the car cover ..... but without a cover it would have received different damage ..... Go figure which one is worse then the other. .... Too many variables IMHO to make a honest opinion.

Being inside a metal building .... if there is a concrete floor and the current tires are junk .... let it sit. Always better to put it on blocks and get the tires, underside away from the floor allowing better airflow.

I just can not think of one good reason why I would want to put a car cover on it .... paint is not worth saving, good airflow allows moisture to dry .... I would remove the plastic sheeting  also ..... more harm then good. ..... I wonder what damage a nice thick layer of dust would cause? ...... I think as long as it is dry, it will protect the chrome more then hurt it.

If it was me, I would set it up on blocks, roll down the windows ..... Possibly I might cover the seats if they are in good condition .... just cover with a blanket or such.

Our '41 Wagon spends the Summer outside, under a California Car Cover - I highly recommend it.  It's waterproof, durable, easy to throw on.  I'm happy to risk wearing the paint in exchange for preserving the wood.  If you don't have a garage, a CCC is a great option.  Everything deteriorates, but the cover will certainly slow down the process.

7 hours ago, Bruce W said:

Mice love the dark. Also, the bed sheets are easily washed compared to a full car cover.

Good point, never thought about mice. I suppose I never had to deal with that, for some reason, despite storing cars in mice-prone areas before.

I do not believe that you are actually expected to wash the cover. If it gets dirty, you can always quickly pressure-wash it right on the car. However, I suspect that it will deteriorate before you feel the need to have it washed, so you just throw it away and get a new one.

To me, a car cover is like a proper storage. If you don't use the car, you wax it and put it away. Also, I do not actually wash my P10 (only wet-wipe it) so I prefer to keep it away from dust and dirt as much as possible.

Actually, I do have mice. And those nests!  They got back into the lower door where the hinges are, and I had to make a tool from a coat hanger to pull it all out.  I get those green blocks of rat killer and break them up into pieces and spread them around.  What's worse is a bird's nest up on the rafter over the windshield.  I also think some large animal with horns or sharp nails put a deep gouge in the paint of the driver's side door.  Wow, a lot of layers of paint on the car. 

After my folks' 53 DeSoto was put out to pasture, having heard that it's not good to leave a vehicle in one spot with the weight on the springs, and also to keep the bottom of the floor farther away from the damp earth, I put it up on blocks (stacked cement blocks, 2 rows high, 4 at each corner, with a wood plank on top).  I had them under the frame, just behind the wheels in the front (and not sure where exactly I put them in the rear).  So the suspension was just hanging.  Some years later, we noticed that the windshield had a long crack in it.  Always wondered if the weight of the front of the car (flat head six still installed) caused the breakage.  So now I think I would also block up the suspension some, so as not to just let it hang.  (Of course it also completely smashed the control arm bumpers.)

I do not suppose that hanging suspension (which I believe is the recommended proper storage condition) would cause a windshield crack. The body is separate from the frame, right? So it is not expected to flex much. Besides, even if it did flex, the flexing from the hanging suspension weight would probably be less than similar force working the opposite direction when the car is driven.

The simplest explanation of the aforementioned story is that someone probably broke the windshield, or it was already cracked a little, and it spread with time. 🤔

• Like 1

In my experience living vicariously through my Uncle that had 2 acres of cars .... broken windows can occur in Hot weather.

In Eastern Washington where the summers often reach over 100 degrees in the summer ...... One day I told him that the passenger door window in a car had shattered.

Forget the year but was the 64 Mercury? That had the rear window that rolls up and down. Anyways he explained that the electrical system was not working and he could not lower the windows to allow air to circulate.

The heat builds up so high in the enclosed vehicle that it will crack the glass. He had saw it a few times over the years.

Trust me, Uncle was a True grumpy man that did not want anyone on his property because they would steal or break windows etc ..... He never thought for a instant that the broken window was not simply heat generated in the car that broke the window. .... 85 years old he did the best he could, he was just glad it was a door window easily replaceable compared to a windshield.

23 hours ago, Los_Control said:

If it was me, I would set it up on blocks, roll down the windows ..... Possibly I might cover the seats if they are in good condition .... just cover with a blanket or such.

There is a reason why I suggested rolling down the windows .... A few inches to allow airflow will work  ...... If you are in a cool climate it may not be needed.

19 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

I do not suppose that hanging suspension (which I believe is the recommended proper storage condition) would cause a windshield crack. The body is separate from the frame, right? So it is not expected to flex much. Besides, even if it did flex, the flexing from the hanging suspension weight would probably be less than similar force working the opposite direction when the car is driven.

The simplest explanation of the aforementioned story is that someone probably broke the windshield, or it was already cracked a little, and it spread with time. 🤔

I thought it was perhaps because I blocked up the front BEHIND the front wheels.  And it sat that way for over 30 years, until my brother hauled it to his place, I think around 2017 or so.

Those Texas daubers are aggressive! I now have the '69 VW Beetle that used to belong to my uncle who lived in Waxahatchie, and even though the car was garaged the daubers built nest all through the undercarriage of the car. I have knocked at least twenty of them out and still find one occasionally. Fortunately he kept the car covered with the windows rolled up so no intruders inside the car.