Off season projects

jgreg53

the harder you work the more heat you will have......incentive to get things done....lol   I do not have harsh winters here but it does drop a few times into the high teens.  I have been working a bit on prepping things for winter work moving inside some of the projected task and mainly my work table I work from in the back yard and are now in an open barn bay with good lighting.  Now is the time to get it done before getting caught flat footed.  Got a message from a Canadian this weekend, snow and car would not start at 12 degrees...he procrastinated a bit too long......!  Now trying to get the car indoors.  

1 hour ago, jgreg53 said:

It's going to be a cold winter here in Kansas.

I know, I am just joking. Florida winter - is the classic car driving season... Things are obviously quite different up north.

How are your brakes doing? Did you have those properly installed and adjusted? Fluid flushed, hoses, lines, cylinder seals brand new? :)

My brakes are good. Created my own adjuster tool. I clamped my vice grips on the castle nut.  I fabricated a piece to attach to the adjusting rod of the vice grip bent it around to touch the brake shoe lining. Worked quite well. I had changed all the hardware several years ago. My steering gearbox has been a problem for a long time. But until I sell a kidney to afford a new sector gear and worm gear. I'm gonna pull it all off again and see what I can do. I've rebuilt the box twice.

Edited by jgreg53

27 minutes ago, jgreg53 said:

I fabricated a piece to attach to the adjusting rod of the vice grip bent it around to touch the brake shoe lining. Worked quite well.

That's a good tip, I'll try that once I get to it. I also need to check my drums with a dial, and probably grind down the shoes for proper contact ?

Have you attempted to look for a used steering box to see how it works? I cannot image it being worn so much that rebuilding does not work... Also, is yours adjustable? I once had a more modern car with an extremely bad steering wheel play (worm gear type). The adjustment took about 2 minutes, and worked great (no play) :)

I've adjusted this thing from loose to tight and every where in between. The play is in the box itself. After putting it all together there are gaps between the bearings. I have tried different shims trying to take up the slack then it makes it hard to steer especially turning right. I believe it's called preloading g the bearings.

I just found out we have a car show to go to on November 25 at Great Malvern Worcestershire UK. Apart from that my steering needs looking at as well and I have at least 1 weeping frost plug to attend to.

Nothing planned for the '51. However the '72 challenger is getting the engine, transmission, and front suspension rebuilt. Rear end and brakes will get looked at and any issues addressed. Always something to pass the winter months.

I put the old cars away for the winter Sunday, got our first snow yesterday.  For once in a long time, I don't have any major issues in need of attention with either the good ol' D24, the Terraplane, or the Bug, so I'm in the same boat.  I want to do some TLC things on the old cars while they're laid up.  Other than some furniture refinishing and cuckoo clock rebuilding, I should have some time this winter.  What I have planned right now for the D24 is to rebuild the passenger side door card, rebuild the carburetor, replace the vinyl windlace with cloth, maybe install the Sisson choke after 30 years, maybe replace the windshields, and a big maybe is repair the bent front passenger side frame horn.  We have long winters here, if I don't have a major old car project I'll remove various parts or components to inspect, clean, and paint them for preservation.  Once in a while I'll find things that need fixing that I wasn't aware of.  Stuff I don't undertake during the driving season if it'll take the cars off the road. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

On 10/29/2023 at 9:42 PM, jgreg53 said:

I need some ideas. What's going to be our wintertime projects?

Just to keep myself from getting bored or getting stuck in a rut. I am restoring a 1970s Tonka Truck for my grandson, a Cribbage board for my son-in-law, and a ship in a bottle for a friend along with working on my car.

Next snow we get I am taking the 51 out to do donuts in a parking lot.

Then maybe I'll find a raised bed railroad track and catch some air.

For my finale, I will swing by the donut shop, flip off the cops and see if they can catch me.

But first, I got to get my green fedora, mask and overcoat setup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Next snow we get I am taking the 51 out to do donuts in a parking lot.

Then maybe I'll find a raised bed railroad track and catch some air.

For my finale, I will swing by the donut shop, flip off the cops and see if they can catch me.

But first, I got to get my green fedora, mask and overcoat setup.

Getting pretty brave there buddy, considering 3 days ago it was 33 degrees and rained all day long   :D 

13 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

In BC? Isn't that expected to get a bit cold, icy, and salty by now? :)

Yea the rain is here, frost as well. I just picked up a block heater. Going to drive the old girl until the snow hits. Even then, I might say F-it, and drive it anyways. Depends on how crazy it gets. 

• 2 months later...