Does anyone sell the shift rod clips for a 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

What shift rod clips?

Cotter pins used at the trans shift cover...one Jesus clip and a 3/8" X 24 nut used at the shift column rod ends.

• Like 1

This is what a old Mechanic told me was a Jesus clip...when I was a young man..

Removing it ...oh jesus where did it go!?

Typical standard cotter pins are used in the linkage rods at the shift cover levers...the rear shift rod pin is pretty thin.

You could use those GM linkage clips if you like at the trans shifter cover levers.....not sure if one of those clips will insert into the rear rod.

20211231_224643_compress49.jpg

20211231_224319_compress30.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve heard the “Jesus Clip” reference with the same definition that Bob gave. Even though there are correct technical names for the clips, as referenced by Sniper, any clip that tends to fly into the nether regions of the shop upon removal or installation is called a Jesus clip. 

• Haha 1

Last winter I was working on carburetor linkage, on the car,  and lost a little E-Clip. Swore I saw it hit the floor.  I hunted for it all day, finally got another and moved on. Yesterday I was removing the right front bumper bracket and noticed something on the floor. Sure enough it was the E-Clip I lost last winter. It couldn't have been on the floor, in that spot, all year long. I have swept and even vacuumed in that area multiple times since I lost it. Must have been somewhere on the car and it fell off. Hard to believe it hung on until now. I guess that is how they got the name "Jesus Clip".

I just reference the name so when trying to find one you can.  I have never heard the term Jesus clip before, I have heard of a Jesus strap though, lol.  That's the handle/strap that your passenger grabs when you get a bit crazy on the go pedal, lol.

3 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Now have any of you heard of a wheeee part?

Ok..I'm game...

I never have....

16 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Ok..I'm game...

I never have....

They are the leftover parts that go wheeee as you frisbee them off to the side of the shop

• Haha 1

Oh Yea...those are the parts you took off and don't remember where they go...

Hate it when it happens?

Oh wait a minute....how many names for these clips can we find...

This is what I have officially known them as.Screenshot_20220101-101708_Google.jpg.37ad14f701cb6e1a9012eee52db449c1.jpg

I'm just throwing more out there to confuse Marc more?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What Marc called a C clip  I have always known as a E clip.  Looks like a fancy E to me. That is what the hardware store also called them.

DJ

• Like 1

Marc...Here is what generally the cotter pins and washers if you want look like on the shifter cover....20220101_174233_compress38.jpg.8a6cb4984b937c28677db4ad3ca2f0d4.jpg20220101_174229_compress8.jpg.0ed8c661b0fc10a3045b8febed896cb2.jpg

Here is the steering column end Jesus clip on the adjustable rod end..20220101_173258_compress80.jpg.0d5d16363e47759f79d4c53dee7e1c68.jpgand the shifter position rod end nut..20220101_173224_compress69.jpg.fd321b1520c92505a09b1a572cd5d4ea.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:11 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

This is what a old Mechanic told me was a Jesus clip...when I was a young man..

Removing it ...oh jesus where did it go!?

Typical standard cotter pins are used in the linkage rods at the shift cover levers...the rear shift rod pin is pretty thin.

You could use those GM linkage clips if you like at the trans shifter cover levers.....not sure if one of those clips will insert into the rear rod.

20211231_224643_compress49.jpg

20211231_224319_compress30.jpg

It's been years since I heard those referred to as "Jesus Clips" and I remember that that was how they got their name. Thanks for taking me back a number of years.?

John R

• Like 1