48 Windsor replacement fuel tank advice

Chris-R

Has anyone fitted one of the Tanks Inc units to a '48 Windsor - or know of any potential issues?

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=68/mode=cat/cat68.htm

It's a bit cheaper than the Van Autos or Mopar Pro options which are the only other two tanks I've seen mentioned on this forum. I'm shipping to the UK, which costs an arm and a leg, so keen to keep the overall price down. But I don't want any extra hassles with fitting, etc. for the sake of saving a few £££s.

Anyone know if there any other suppliers worth looking at? Pic attached of current state of play...

Fuel Tank 2.jpg

I have a Tanks,Inc tank in my 48 Plymouth coupe,and have had no problems at all.

Also have one is something else,but having a "chemo brain moment" right now,and can't remember what I have it in.

I am sure your Chrysler has a bigger tank,so this is probably no help at all.

Maybe do a web search for "problems with tanks,Inc gas tanks"?

I bought and installed a tanks inc fuel tank for my 1933 plymouth. I have had no issues with it. I did however have the filler tube welded to make a solid steel inlet and not use the rubber hose they sent. This may not be an issue for your car though. I would recommend them for my experience. 

ChrisR.............I know that the pic of your tank shows a pretty well buggered tank......lol...........but considering the cost of a new tank and shipping to the UK I'd be prepared to take the current tank to a tank/radiator place, get it boiled out and see if its possible to have it split and repaired.........or even see about doing it yourself as considering what you have at present it couldn't end up much worse...........being in the UK I'd think that there must be some extremely talented metal finishers and repairers that would be able to do something with it..................also I have a question re your tank........the pic is showing what looks to be a plug of some sort in the middle.......do you have a clearer pic of this and is this the original drain plug with an internal "torks" style fitting?............thanks.........Andy Douglas

1946-48 Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth six cylinder cars all use the same 17 gallon gas tank.

And cannot be sure but maybe same back to 1941 or 42.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies.

Andy - I'm an optimist and prefer originality, so my first thought was the same but the metal wizard I showed it to yesterday wasn't even slightly tempted. It was full of a large amount of loose rust debris (I shook maybe a kilo out of the filler neck - see pic) having been stood empty for a couple of decades, and his view was that the amount of work required would be a lot for a result that wasn't guaranteed to come good. (He recently attempted something similar with an old Land Rover tank - the interior had to be blasted, and what metal was left was too thin to be useful so a replacement had to be bought anyway.)

So when I say 'he wasn't keen' I mean 'he shook his head incredulously and walked away muttering'... |

Anyway, more pics below just for fun - including the drain plug you mentioned. 

1280728201_Crud2.jpg.56bbb96cf7706b8bb639d76cec0fa7e6.jpg

556551206_Sender2.jpg.ab12e552f20112071642802c57e260b7.jpg1699788244_Drainplug2.jpg.f947169d1b314b68fcdfdd3ddae8da51.jpg

40 minutes ago, normanpitkin said:

I would take yours to a radiator repair shop first ,the duty and shipping will be A LOT!

I have put out a couple of enquiries to UK repairers and am waiting to hear, but I think the Tanks Inc option could be in hand for around £370 ($500). Not cheap, but given the amount of work required on a refurb... anyway, I'm hoping to hear something soon!

46 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Any tank available locally that the metal wizards could modify to fit?  Down under, Andy D has scrounged parts from other makers of vehicles, with names unfamiliar to us.  Whatever works. 

Yes, there are all sorts that could be made to fit - maybe something like this LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER CLASSIC V8/EFI 1986-89 FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY. PART- NTC2017 | eBay

But I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. ?

2 hours ago, Chris-R said:

Yes, there are all sorts that could be made to fit - maybe something like this LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER CLASSIC V8/EFI 1986-89 FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY. PART- NTC2017 | eBay

But I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. ?

YOU are the one you have to please,so put that ahead of the line in your considerations

There is very little I hate more than spending money more than once on any item that will last for decades.

seems with the intent to stay stock, or at least stock appearance...you have really limited your options....the only thing left to do now it seems is pony up or take the bus.......I understand the initial cost and the extreme cost of overseas shipping....one of our overseas guys just recently posted a link to a company that will work as your agent....kinda get the impression they fill a container and then disperse the product once in Europe...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

seems with the intent to stay stock, or at least stock appearance...you have really limited your options....the only thing left to do now it seems is pony up or take the bus.......I understand the initial cost and the extreme cost of overseas shipping....one of our overseas guys just recently posted a link to a company that will work as your agent....kinda get the impression they fill a container and then disperse the product once in Europe...

I'm already taking the bus... I'm used to it.  ?
There are a few options emerging, none cheap. This is what I know so far...

Vans Auto tank price $345 plus $360 shipping = $705 or £507 plus duty and UK sales tax at circa 25% = £633 delivered

Tanks Inc - don't have a bolt-in replacement
MoparPro tank price $395 plus $200 shipping = $595 or £428 plus duty and UK sales tax at circa 25% = £535 delivered
UK tank refurbishing company - bashed out, blasted, plastic lined and painted (quote "It won't look perfect but it will work") = £485 delivered
UK motorsport company - fabricate new tank from scratch in aluminium using my old tank as a template = £380 delivered.

I am beginning to think originality sucks in this instance!

1 hour ago, Chris-R said:

I'm already taking the bus... I'm used to it.  ?
There are a few options emerging, none cheap. This is what I know so far...

Vans Auto tank price $345 plus $360 shipping = $705 or £507 plus duty and UK sales tax at circa 25% = £633 delivered

Tanks Inc - don't have a bolt-in replacement
MoparPro tank price $395 plus $200 shipping = $595 or £428 plus duty and UK sales tax at circa 25% = £535 delivered
UK tank refurbishing company - bashed out, blasted, plastic lined and painted (quote "It won't look perfect but it will work") = £485 delivered
UK motorsport company - fabricate new tank from scratch in aluminium using my old tank as a template = £380 delivered.

I am beginning to think originality sucks in this instance!

I'm sorry,but didn't a long-time forum member make a post above in this very thread telling  you ALL Mopar cars used the same gas tank from 1946 to 1948?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by knuckleharley

50 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I'm sorry,but didn't a long-time forum member make a post above in this very thread telling  you ALL Mopar cars used the same gas tank from 1946 to 1948?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know if you're wrong, but I spoke to someone at Tanks Inc on the phone earlier today because their '41 to '48 product is listed specifically as Dodge and Plymouth but not Chrysler. She told me their product didn't fit the Windsor. The Tanks Inc product is not a repro anyway, in which case I'm not interested in paying a high price. Might as well fit something else which I can source for peanuts here in the UK, and spend my $500 on shipping something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

I have no personal experience with cars .... I like trucks.

Have you checked 

https://www.moparpro.com/product/1940-1948-plymouth-dodge-desoto-chrysler-brand-new-fuel-tank/

1-600x1018.jpg

He has, see post in mid-thread. 

Hi Chris, I know your pain. I recently removed my petrol tank from a 1940 Dodge Coupe which had sat idol for 20 years. Tank full of rust and prices quoted over phone and not in person were £400 but " depends on condition" comments. Only thing with refurb is would they line it, if so what guarantee offered (Little is my finding).

So bit the bullet and ordered one from MOPAR PRO and must say it looks good and came with all the extras, filler, sender etc etc (as per pic provided) Must say delivery was excellent, 4 days from order. But just remember the dreaded import tax!!

But i must say if you are not fussed over original try and use some British Engineering (motorsport co) support them following this last year of difficult business.

Its good to know there is another brit on this forum that needs parts from the USA.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 213717.png

1 hour ago, johnjnr said:

Hi Chris, I know your pain. I recently removed my petrol tank from a 1940 Dodge Coupe which had sat idol for 20 years. Tank full of rust and prices quoted over phone and not in person were £400 but " depends on condition" comments. Only thing with refurb is would they line it, if so what guarantee offered (Little is my finding).

So bit the bullet and ordered one from MOPAR PRO and must say it looks good and came with all the extras, filler, sender etc etc (as per pic provided) Must say delivery was excellent, 4 days from order. But just remember the dreaded import tax!!

But i must say if you are not fussed over original try and use some British Engineering (motorsport co) support them following this last year of difficult business.

Its good to know there is another brit on this forum that needs parts from the USA.

Hi John, the Mopar Pro would be my choice too, but the kids need shoes... ?
In terms of intrinsic value the scratch-built aluminium copy seems the winner by miles - £299 plus VAT seems very reasonable in fact - but my problem now is that if I'm going to be forced to accept non-original, I might as well just bung in an old Land Rover tank from eBay for £40.
Another option is to try for a used original one in the US, but I haven't seen what they go for or how many are about. You'd pay the same freight, and a vendor would have to be prepared to sort FedEx etc, but you only pay duty/VAT on the stated value...
There's always these guys https://www.stsimports.co.uk/containers/ but you have to wait up to six weeks for a container, and then it takes another four to five weeks - without Covid or a Suez crisis. Not sure how much freight cost you'd save on a fuel tank, but probably good if you need an engine, seats or big panels.

Edited by Chris-R

Hi Chris, I've got the same sort of fuel drain plug fitting on the tank of my 1948 D25 Dodge here in Australia. It looks for all the world to me like a female torx fitting, but surely this can't be right? What do people use to remove the drain plug? Cheers,

Nigel

51 minutes ago, Nigel Bailey said:

Hi Chris, I've got the same sort of fuel drain plug fitting on the tank of my 1948 D25 Dodge here in Australia. It looks for all the world to me like a female torx fitting, but surely this can't be right? What do people use to remove the drain plug? Cheers,

Nigel

the square drive of a ratchet.....