Rocker panel moldings

John431
Go to solution Solved by John431,

I’m missing some too, I was thinking of getting some plain steel or aluminum and trying to remake it. 

I might just shave the hardware, fill the holes, and try to bring the rocker out like there was never trim there. 

I used some of the plastic moulding that you put around interior doors in houses.  Ranch moulding maybe easy to cut and shape mounted with double sided 3m trim tae. I painted mine mat black and attached with double sided trim tape while my stainless was at the chrome shop being straightened. The contour is nearly a match to the stainless profile,

image.png.9066d8ab159b903bc04a3407da692c7b.png

Edited by greg g

I used pvc molding for 4X4 post. Got the piece that screws to post, cut to length, then the cover piece cut to length. screw base down on rocker and then snap cover piece..you can shape cover easily. Doesn,t look stock, but gives a clean finished look.

Bob   

• Solution

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions. Currently my (temporary) solution has been shaping a wood molding with a similar shape to original, painted silver, then covering with chrome vinyl wrap. I will post if all goes well.

Side note...

We need somebody/anybody to reproduce these moldings since they are almost impossible to find in usable condition and not costing a small fortune.

Again thanks to all for suggestions/advice !!!!!!

John 47 club coupe

Alright people

Here's update (1) rocker done !

I think it is somewhat of a "success" at this point...not sure about long term...so...def not "show" quality...but until these things get reproduced (hopefully one day) this will do

So...wood molding from hopo...paimted silver...plastic clips in rocker holes...screws...fillied in screw holes with spackle and finally chrome wrap (my first time using vinyl wrap)

20210710_141130.jpg

20210710_141117.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, John431 said:

Howdy ya'll

My dilemma is non existence of usable rocker moldings for my 47 club coupe.

Any suggestions regarding anything that might fit (or close to fitting) and any fabrication ideas ?  

Thanks,

John

I seen some for sale on a H.A.M.B board here a while back.

I know this won't help, but I bought reproduction rocker moldings for our D24 sedan many years ago.  Like almost 30 years ago.  They look good, but are a stainless skin on regular steel, and I had to do some modifications at the rear to get them to fit right.  Absolutely no memory of where I got them from.  Moral of the story is that there may still be repops out there, just gotta find them.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, John431 said:

Alright people

Here's update (1) rocker done !

I think it is somewhat of a "success" at this point...not sure about long term...so...def not "show" quality...but until these things get reproduced (hopefully one day) this will do

So...wood molding from hopo...paimted silver...plastic clips in rocker holes...screws...fillied in screw holes with spackle and finally chrome wrap (my first time using vinyl wrap)

20210710_141130.jpg

20210710_141117.jpg

Wow!

Wonderful work...you have me fooled?

7 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I guess I'm lucky.  I bought some NOS rocker moldings in the 80s for about $50 still in the wrappers!  

I should have - should have bought a lot of stuff in the early 80's when I first got my 46 (in 1980).  But I was too tight, and didn't want to spend the money.  Now I'll either spend a great deal more, or will have to make do with some other option.

Thanks everybody for all the ideas and suggestion !

The bare rockers drove me nuts....so i had to come up with something...i do have the originals...but the prices i was quoted to restore them were rediculous...so theses were cheap and easy to make...they look "ok" and  as i said "temporary" until i find a decent pair for a resonable price or reasonable restoration.

Thanks again !!!

John.

• Like 1

Given the excellent reproduction you fabricated out of wood, it may be used as a model for a skilled metal fab guy to make one out of stainless steel. I am way sure someone out there can do this. In this hobby when it comes to certain parts rated as unobtanium, “desperation breeds invention”. A person that may be more in the know would be Kris Arneson in British Columbia who had some rally nice running board trim mouldings made from polished stainless for my 40 D14 coupe when he restored my boards. I think the guy that made them is based in Ohio. Hope this may help out and I am envious of your woodworking skills! M

On 7/16/2021 at 6:58 AM, John431 said:

..i do have the originals...but the prices i was quoted to restore them were rediculous...

Am not sure how bad yours are but have a look on u tube, Cold War Motors, the 1960 Plymouth Fury build episode where he is repairing the stainless trim. Inspiring stuff that shows detailed craftsmanship with some pretty badly dented pieces. Looking at your wood work achievements, you might consider having a crack at your original moldings.....