Your Daily Dose Of Carnage, Delivered!

took it out for a test run, pulled onto the road and hit the gas, suddenly water hit the windshield! not sure why it did that, the radiator and everything was still bolted up nicely to the frame. And yes, the fan was still attached as it was supposed to be. the radiator just came back into the fan for whatever odd reason

Edited by 41/53dodges

The fan bolts are not sheared from what I can see. The rear motor mounts "should" keep it in place. So have to agree with the op the radiator seems to have came back into the fan. Have you ever worked on the radiator? Was the lower radiator support loose maybe? Seems to have hit the top. Very strange.

Had all four in, just dropped two of them removing it, but it had those four spacers put it and tightened down nicely.

Actually this is a new issue! never had this happen before or any sign of it, but it was likely the entire front clip shifting, it seems a tad unstable right now. I'l find the issue, for now enjoy the picture!

Edited by 41/53dodges

Those spacers were your problem. A proper spacer would have been solid.  Without the additional support a solid spacer provides, a fan puts a lot of torsional  force on the bolts and will break them off with a setup like you had. It's  like wiggling a solid wire back and forth  creating a weak spot that will eventually break the wire.

Disregard,  further reading and comprehension on my part indicated the fan was still bolted to the water pump at the time but I still think it should have a single solid spacer instead of  4.

Edited by Dave72dt

Also how is your water pump? A bad water pump can allow the fan to move forward.

+1, bad water pump will allow enough movement to hit the radiator. Usually it gives you a little warning (ting, ting, ting sound) before major failure. 

took it out for a test run, pulled onto the road and hit the gas, suddenly water hit the windshield! not sure why it did that, the radiator and everything was still bolted up nicely to the frame. And yes, the fan was still attached as it was supposed to be. the radiator just came back into the fan for whatever odd reason

Had all four in, just dropped two of them removing it, but it had those four spacers put it and tightened down nicely.

Actually this is a new issue! never had this happen before or any sign of it, but it was likely the entire front clip shifting, it seems a tad unstable right now. I'l find the issue, for now enjoy the picture!

Am I to assume after reading all the fine print you did not have the radiator and front clipp correctly secured when you went for a drive?

What lesson is to be learned from this disastrous short test run?

check to ensure all is right and fitted prior to engaging any gear..static running am sure the man never saw any adverse movement..

one of the very reasons I have not test fired my power plant since install into the coupe...the fenders must be in place to position and hold fixed the radiator shell very important as they will lean in at the top toward the fan...if one must run without the fenders ensure the rad shell is stationary with some angle iron or suitable sub for the purpose of fixing it fast in position.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The stock radiator mount on my truck kept things stationary just fine without the front clip. I ran it quite a bit and drove it around some without any sign of movement. I have to think that something had been very seriously modified to allow for this kind of movement. If the stock support is installed properly It certainly isn't likely to move about this much.

Jeff