What was your first car? Slightly OT

JohnTeee

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was a Renault 12 that i boughtin 1987 fixed up with the old man drove it for four years till someone came through a roundabout :mad: and t boned it . They had no insurance so got the car back and had a mate in the panel game and we put a new side in it :) kept it on the road for another year then retired to paddock when the new car came along.

Mine was a 1952 Volvo 444, the last year that they still had the split windshield. My Dad wasn't going to let me buy it until I mentioned that I could afford a motorcycle. I drove it for several years with the 1600 engine, then swapped in an 1800 when the old motor died. It lasted through my early college years and my time in the Navy.

Marty

My 1st car was my 51 chevy pickup that dad gave me in '91. However it took too long to restore (almost 8 years) so in the mean time to get back and forth to school I got a loan and bought an 84 daytona turbo z. It was a quick car and a money pit, everything the lemonaid used car buyers guide said would go wrong did, I cursed that car and the day I bought it....and now I miss it and wished I'd never sold it.:o

52 Plymouth Cambridge 2 door sedan, a birthday gift from my cousin, was his firts car, he replaced it with w 57 Plymouth Savoy. 2nd car was a 1960 Dodge Dart that was my father's car. 3rd was almost a 63 Renault Dauphine but it overheated on my test drive, the salesman said to turn back to the lot and keep driving, we got about half a mile and it siezed up.

First car was a 1947 Chevy two door fastback Fleetline, purchased for the

sum of $115 by my grandfather. He said "I bought your Dad his first car, so

I'll buy you yours". That was in 1959.

A few years later, I purchased this P15 coupe from the local Chevy

dealer for $35. I had $15 on me, and Mom loaned me $20. The car had

been owned by a farmer who evidently had hauled some hay in it, among

other things. Kept it for two or three years....my sister drove it to high

school during her senior year.

I lowered the front by having the coils heated.....yes, it rode a bit

rough. Also put a "cutout" on the tailpipe, using a gas tank filler neck

with gas cap. Ah, the good ole days........

DSC02387.jpg

The first car in my name was/is my 46 P15 - purchased in 1981 at age 25.

My actual first car was the old family car, a 62 Chrysler Newport, 361 pushbutton automatic, baby blue. (My younger brother has it now - but just for parts.) The second car I had - that I actually bought, but in my father's name - was a 72 Dodge Coronet 318 auto, gold with a black vinyl top. (I bought it in his name because I was planning to move overseas for missionary service soon, and he wanted to keep it afterwards. But it took longer than I thought to get over there, so I ended up selling it here in Ohio.) (All of my cars have been 4-doors - the only 2 door I have ever had is my 49 P15 parts car.)

Neto

My first car back in 1974 was a a 1965 Truiph Spitfire MKII. Painted British racing green with a bolt on hard top and wire wheels.

Also like many that have posted I wish I still had it.

Bought my first car from the dean of students: 1950 Buick Special. Paid him $25 for it and I found a dollar in change when I cleaned it out.

Had a straight 8 and it purred. Bought it in Utah and drove home to San Francisco. The car never let me down.

My first car was a 60 Corvair. Bought if from the bank for $300, after the previous owner had it overhauled and defaulted on the loan. That was in the summer of 1966.

Traded the Corvair for a 65 Mustang Fastback 2+2. Now that’s the car I wish I still had.

post-309-13585365152154_thumb.jpg

1950 Ford; 4 door with shaved chrome all around, bucket seats, 3 speed on the floor, baby moon hubcaps and 49 Meteor hood and grille. Bought it for $35.00 when I was 12 years old with paper route money. This was the most unreliable car I have ever owned but I sure do wish I still had it :).

Phil

First car: 1976 Mercury Capri II. It was 1982, and I was 16. Bought it from Dad for $650- @ $25 / month. When I got to $600, he handed me the title and said we where square. Never tackled anything other than lawnmower engines at that point in my life. Three months into ownership I replaced the OHC's and was quite proud of my accomplishment. It was a founding moment in my life, and when I realized Henry Ford was right; "anything can be accomplished one step at a time."

post-7609-13585365156504_thumb.jpg

48 Plymouth Business Coupe.

Bought it when I was 14 with my life savings earned mowing yards. That was 1975. We had a driveway that went all the way through the property so you could enter / exit from either the street or the alley. I would get in my Plymouth and drive from one end of the driveway to the other, then back it up all the way to the other end, Over and Over and Over. Lord only knows how many trips I made up and down that driveway. To listen to my mom it was thousands.

To this day, I'm a pretty good driver in reverse. :cool:

Drove it with the flatty until I blew it up at about 17. My grandpa had a 68 Plymouth wagon with a 383 and 727 that he no longer drove. My folks would not let me do a swap because the flatty ran just fine, so I took care of that. Grandpa gave me the wagon and I built the 383 using the old Direct Connection catalog that had the recipe for the parts needed to build a car to a certain ET. I built the running gear using their 11 second parts / machining list. Ran pretty good but never an 11 second car because I didn't make the required suspension, weight saving changes.

Got the muscle car bug when I was 19, sold the coupe minus running gear and dropped them in a 73 Cuda which was an 11 second car.

Edited by hkestes41

40 Plymouth 4 door sedan for $40 in 1962. A guy I met had just driven it from Oregan to Missouri after buying it used for $40 instead of paying Greyhound.

Second, a year later, was a 55 Plymouth 4 door, 6 cylinder powerflite. $25 with 4 broken pistons and the timing chain slipping. Got it as fast as 25 mph on the way home. Bought a set of Sears and Roebuck pistons for about $20, dug the broken motor block (which i'd put a rod through the block, then replaced) from the 40 up at the dump and got the timing gears and chain from it and put the 55 together. Drove it a couple years, sold it to a neighbor who drove it 5 more years and only put front brakes on it.

Next was a 65 Barracuda high performance 273 with the 4 speed and posi ordered from the factory. Put 60,000 hard miles on that one. It would do about 80 in second, 125+ in third and who knows? in fourth. Passed a cop once at about 135 and accelerating. That went over real good when they stopped me 40 miles down the interstate.

Edited by austinsailor