What was your first car? Slightly OT

JohnTeee

Got this from my dad:

This has to be one of the neatest web sites whether you have gasoline in your veins or not.

This is a web-site featuring the original factory brochures for nearly every American car you have ever owned.

Pick the manufacturer, the year and the model. Enjoy!

American Car Brochures

(Of course, my first car was a FIAT . . .)

Cheers!

John

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea for a thread. My first car was a 1958 Pontiac Pathfinder (Canadian model) four door sedan. Six cylinder (261 CID) and three on the tree. It was the plainest model there was but I sure loved that car and wish I had it now. There are lots of Pontiac brochures but the only one they are missing in the '50's is the 1958 one. I only have one picture of it but have never scanned it so I can put it in my Photobucket account. Got to do that one of these days.

When i graduated from college my Aunt gvae me her 1963 Nova Chevy II with the straight 6, automatic 4 door sedan, Light blue with radio no ac. If I remember correctly the car had 36K on the engine. I ran that for several years then sold this off.

Wish I had it back it was a great little car and the engines in the 196 did not die.

Rich Hartung

I've forgotten what year and model my FIAT was. Split Pea Green, early 70's, four door. I was young, dumb and it was affordable. A REPO by the local bank. That should have been my first clue. I suspect the folks who lost it knew it was going to be REPO'ed, didn't care, drove it hard and put it away wet. Turned into a money pit that I was glad to get rid of.

I almost bough a 'Poor Man's Corvette', an Opal, before that. One headlight was stuck open. Took it out for a test drive and it got stuck in third gear. Limped back to the owner with it and promptly forgot about that idea. Would have been a fun classic today.

Cheers!

John

my dad had not long since wrecked the 61 Belvedere..so they were going to let the car go to the wrecking yard..I asked to keep the car..total wreck..I bought a 59 Plymouth Suburban 9 passenger wagon that a lady drove without water and locked the engine and transferred the running gear..was a fun to drive while in high school..

Gents,

'37 Olds 4-door sedan. Loved that old beast, even lived in a few months, but when I joined the Navy it was sold for $15 by the mother of the guy I bought it from. (I was sure the title was in my name but I was too "busy" to make sure, I guess.) That's when I was bitten by the fix-up-an-old-car-bug but never did get another one until I bought Pigiron in 1990.

-Randy

My first was a 1935 Plymouth rumble seat coupe. It was a former stock car and was painted silver with black fenders. The price; $15.00. Randy, I too had a '37 Oldsmobile 4 door sedan. Boy do I wish I had kept all of old gems that I once owned.

John R

Mine was a 1958 riley 1.5 ,we built some jump ramps and when that failed to kill the car ,i drove it straight into a tree at about 30 miles an hour.That settled it for good, i had to pay £20 for a scrapyard to pick it up.

First car in my name was a '64 Mercury Comet Caliente. I got it for free in 1973 from my cousin's friend who thought it needed a trans. My father and I pushed it home with our '65 Coronet. All it needed was a pan gasket. I used it for a couple of years then sold it because the 'non-integral' power steering drag link started leaking and it would have been an expensive repair.

Bought a 37 Ford tudor sedan, then got a 50 Plymouth 'fastback'. Drove the plymouth to CA and back from Western Nebr. We set our speed by the temp guage so that we drove across the Majove desert at 40 mph. We smiled at the cadilacs with their hoods up!!!:D

My first car was a 1965 Envoy Epic, a little British car, basically a Vauxhall Victor for Canadian Chev-Olds dealers. It had a 1-litre 4-cylinder engine with a 4-speed transmission and independent front suspension with a single transverse leaf spring. Anyone into 1936 to 1949 Studebakers will know the set up.

Great car in the city, but on the highway 60 mph was too much for it. Made a 30 mile trip on the highway and burned a litre of oil.

At the time I bought it I was also considering a 4-door 1962 Valiant with the 170-cid slant six.

Had the Envoy for one year. Wish I had bought the Valiant.

You guys are certainly making me live up to my screen name. The first car I ever legally owned was a 1989 Buick Century Limited with an aftermarket vinyl roof. My second car was an upgrade to a 95 century. Had each of those about a year and in 2000 I bought Dads 94 dakota that I still drive today.