Vintage picture thread

coW52Dodge

What is the model name and number for this semi? I think I know where there is a fixer upper.

3656f533-f23b-4217-8af9-9750.jpg

I could tell which tonnage truck it is if I could see the rear axle flange size and stud count.

The rear axle flange looks like a domed 12 stud to me. 

Tires look to be 11.00X20.

Air horns = air brakes

Grab handles

Front axle looks like a 7500lb axle..though could be a 8000lb axle

Truck is gussied up.

40 gallon fuel tank......

My vote is it's a 3 or 4 tonner Y series truck

Found in the www wonderworld...

10403690_10152809766418090_5704929890599

No idea which city? Time could be end of 1930's.

Thats a 41-47 Dodge COE wrecker so time has got be to 40s.

Ed,

That model was launched 1940, which was the last year of the 1930's decade.

I assumed there has to be a special reason to shoot a photo of service tow truck in the parade yard of the dealership - a brand new wrecker?

1940%20Dodge%20Truck%20Ad-01.jpg

Ed,

That model was launched 1940, which was the last year of the 1930's decade.

I assumed there has to be a special reason to shoot a photo of service tow truck in the parade yard of the dealership - a brand new wrecker?

1940%20Dodge%20Truck%20Ad-01.jpg

Yes but the 40 has parking lights on the headlights and that dealership photo truck has cowl lights.

Yes but the 40 has parking lights on the headlights and that dealership photo truck has cowl lights.

Thanks Ed, I stand corrected. Are the cowl/parking lights the only external difference btw m.1940 vs. m.1946 ?

The below is then 1946?

bfebd7f061b11deb8078d31da7a2194e.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Ed, I stand corrected. Are the cowl/parking lights the only external difference btw m.1940 vs. m.1946 ?

The below is then 1946?

bfebd7f061b11deb8078d31da7a2194e.jpg

For the reg pickups the headlights also moved from closer to the grill on a stand into a depression on top of the fender after 1940. I am not sure if the COE trucks followed this same trend. The 1940 trucks also had a leaping ram ornament vs the stylized one in that shot. I am not sure of the timing but the early COE trucks also did not have that little door under the Dodge script.

• Like 2

saw this'n on FB:

attachicon.gif1950DODGE1tonSNOW.jpg

Anybody got a clue as to what those contraptions are in the windshield?  I'm guessing it's some sort of anti-glare lens or sumthin'ruther cuz of all the snow as I've seen similar doohickies that were tinted, but ain't too certain as those seem clear... B)

Anybody got a clue as to what those contraptions are in the windshield?  I'm guessing it's some sort of anti-glare lens or sumthin'ruther cuz of all the snow as I've seen similar doohickies that were tinted, but ain't too certain as those seem clear... B)

I believe they are anti-fog lenses that stick on the inside of the glass.

I believe they are anti-fog lenses that stick on the inside of the glass.

They might also be the sucksoncup style of window defroster. Remember back then the heater and defroster units were a dealer installed option and most cars and trucks did not come with these installed.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...