1950 plymouth trunk handle cover (im from the uk so would love some help!)

pittaway

hi all, im from the uk so parts are non existent, i was wondering if anyone had a spare trunk handle or more importantly the stainless key cover and pin as mines just recently fell off and the back end just doesn't look the same without it! 

IMG_8197.JPG

I can probably help you.   To remove the lock, insert the key and give it a partial turn.  Then by putting a pin into the little hole in the handle, 

You can withdraw the lock by pulling with the key.  I have the pieces that your handle lacks but for a lasting repair, a new lock assembly would be best.

I will mail you the flapper and the piece behind it for the cost of a mailer and postage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It has been some time since you received my lock cover.  I asked only a token amount. $ 5. 

Perhaps it is still in the mail.   Or perhaps it has been forgotten.

Thank you, Ivan.  That is the case.  I did receive notice that the part was received.  It is not the money, but the principle.

I can accept maybe the mails are slow and will get on with my life.  As tech advisor, I have met and corresponded with many Fine people.

I can be joyful for that.   BTW  I also have a P10.  Nice original Deluxe business coupe)

• Like 1

When sending parts to anyone i always state that payment is due prior to shipping any parts. Some people forget to send the money and think the part was sent as a gift.

It is great to help fellow car owners but they need to pay for an item if the sender just asked for the postage and handling cost.  It is the only the correct way to say thank you.

I learned the hard way, an owner of a 39 Desoto coupe up in Buffalo wanted to convert her headlight back to the original style headlight and wanted to remove the conversion kit that she had on her coupe that had the sealed beams. I told he I would look for the parts and that she could pay me the cost after returning from the Hershey swap meet.  I was able to find the necessary parts that she had requested and called her with the cost. At that time she informed me that she no longer wanted the parts. I kept the parts. The bad part was that I had spent my time and money to look for the parts and purchase the parts.

so I ate the costs. But from that day on if anyone ever asked to look for or purchase parts for them I requested that they send me an appropriate amount of funds to cover the cost and I told them that I would then use their funds to pay for the items and that the sale was a final sale, a lot of people did not like this arrangement so they never got any parts.  Once burned but no twice and I even told them this same story.

When I was loaning out my Miller Tools I had the same arrangement, They had to put down a major deposit to cover the cost of the tool if they decided to not return it. They also had to pay for the shipping costs. So if I loaned out the AMMCO 1750 Brake gage tool I wanted at least in todays selling cost on Ebay $750. That was to insure I got the tool back, and if they did not send it back I then could purchase a replacement. Some tools are not replaceable because of being so hard to find. Some people just wanted me to trust them because they were a member of this forum, but does not hold any water for me.

So when someone goes out of their way to help you with a part remember your gentlemans agreement between both parties.

Now i am off my soapbox.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich Hartung

My sentiments exactly Rich.   However 60 years in the hobby and have only been burned once or twice and usually by locals.

Through this forum and several others I have met many people who share my interests and have even travelled to meet them.

Some have come here to meet me and I can only hope that they felt welcome.   

• Like 1

I'm also in the UK and have benefitted from the generosity of several owners who have sent me items and asked only for a 'thank you' or payment of shipping costs.
And I've repaid the favor by doing the same for others.
This P15-D24 community is a great space.
Thank you all for your enthusiasm, advice and help over the past 20+ years.

And yet the original poster hasn't replied in any way..............its not surprising that those who go out of their way to help get annoyed with the bad manners of some............not a good attitude by the original poster which then affects all of us who live outside of North America..............my oz 2 cents worth.......Andy Douglas 

per history on this forum, man joined and posted a parts request on open forum, no-no number one....he last signed in some 2 weeks later and would assume by then the part arrived and the forum was no longer needed as he has not signed in since July 26th OR pigeons ate his bread crumb trail back to this site.   So sorry this guy flaked out on you.  Trust, it's just a name on a bank.....

On 9/13/2023 at 5:19 PM, dpollo said:

I can accept maybe the mails are slow and will get on with my life. . . . BTW  I also have a P10.  Nice original Deluxe business coupe)

I think we all understand your point, here, and thank you for letting us know about this unpleasant occasion. Let's give the TS the benefit of the doubt, and assume that he did not reply for a good reason. If anything, it will make ourselves feel better, wouldn't it? :)

I have a 2-door sedan, a very nice car!

On 9/13/2023 at 6:29 PM, desoto1939 said:

Some people just wanted me to trust them because they were a member of this forum, but does not hold any water for me.

So when someone goes out of their way to help you with a part remember your gentleman's agreement between both parties.

As you know: gentleman said - gentleman did. But I am afraid that these are usually two different gentlemen ? I have also been cheated (or it was attempted) several times, and specifically on auto forums (not this one). So anything can happen, you just need to be cautious about the things you do. Hope for the best, but do not expect anything so you don't get disappointed later on.

Times like this can be tricky,  I myself might write it off as $5 is a cheap lesson. I would now know not to deal with that person again .... although still trust others here.

I have had good luck dealing with people here, I generally send the item and when I know exactly what it cost to ship I tell the other party my return address is on the package & send me a check for the amount owed. When they get it. ..... Might be backwards for some, but I have had good luck & faith in people.

If someone did not pay, well then I learned something about that person .... I still treat others as usual.

I feel bad about the last transaction, I sent a guy a brake spring. I purchased a small manila envelope for $1.

My wife asked me to buy a book of stamps while I was at the post office ..... I asked the lady how many stamps would it take to mail the envelope.

Since I had a book of stamps I could add what was needed, or she could figure out what was needed and add it to the bill.

She asked if I wanted her to just process it .... sure go ahead. ..... I thought she would put 3 stamps on it and send it.

She ran it just like a regular package with $100 insurance & a tracking number for $7.

I just feel bad because I allowed her to ship it that way when it was not what I wanted ... what should have been $2-$3 was now $8.

The gentleman promptly sent me $10 after getting my return address .... I feel guilty about taking it   :(

I will not change my ways, I have sent parts to all parts of Canada, to the USA  and Germany, Belgium, France , New Zealand and Australia and have made many fine friends along the way. I am not in the hobby to be a buy-sell-trade guy.  In one instance, the USPS delivered about half of an empty envelope.  Later, I got the other half (containing an oil gauge fitting and a visible return address) back.  Accidents happen and good results still occur.  Thanks for the support.

6 hours ago, dpollo said:

I will not change my ways, I have sent parts to all parts of Canada, to the USA  and Germany, Belgium, France , New Zealand and Australia and have made many fine friends along the way. I am not in the hobby to be a buy-sell-trade guy.  In one instance, the USPS delivered about half of an empty envelope.  Later, I got the other half (containing an oil gauge fitting and a visible return address) back.  Accidents happen and good results still occur.  Thanks for the support.

Well, nothing against anyone here and would hate for folks to think I am slighting them...but I am not in the used car parts selling arena.  The few parts I let go usually go to Europe as they do not have yards and such to kick through with these cars sitting about although they still have access to e-bay which I call an equal playing field for the proactive.  Granted our sources are drying up annually also.   I have mailed parts to a number of countries but even today with the cost of shipping and the snotty nosed customs folks and so called clearing scam agents.  You learn quick who is kicking tires and who is seriously looking also.  Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many tire kickers these days.   Even the swap meets are drying up...space fees, higher gate and often paid parking driving the customers away.  If this coming swap meet is anything like the last two...it is my final bid to market a few items.  

That is the state of our hobby.    I have often said that there are none of my collected parts that I would not GIVE to the right party, but none are for sale to the wrong party.  Especially those who don't pay up on an IOU.  As most of you know, I am a Farmer and for a long time, I was a school teacher , and this former colleague still owes me a dollar for a dozen eggs dating back to 1978.     Best to all.  

• Like 1

I have a former colleague still owing me 400 Chinese Yen, from 2014... ? I've also saw a posting in social media, where one person gave another one a "gentleman's word" that he would pay him $20 tomorrow, but never did. So, the first person was now offering the true "gentleman's word" for sale, for $20, as a joke.

Edited by Ivan_B
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 1:13 AM, dpollo said:

this former colleague still owes me a dollar for a dozen eggs dating back to 1978.

With inflation, he now owes you $31 not including any interest