Removal of Brake Band Springs

In order to remove the half brake band cylinders from my '51 B3C rear wheels, I must first remove the two brake band springs (shown in the attachment). When I restored the rear brakes about two years ago, I have a dim recollection of using a special tool (shown in an attachment). If, in fact, that was the tool I used, I can't figure out nowpost-2952-0-89802700-1394755074_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-67936600-1394755098_thumb.jpg how to remove the springs. Is this the correct tool? If so, how is it used? If not, how do I get the springs off? Any help will be appreciated.

Bary

I would not use that tool even though it is made to remove the springs from the brake shoes.

It puts a hole or gouge in the brake lining  .I use a hook tool to pull them off.

Clean and easy.

Bob

post-302-0-34060600-1394755869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Brake band --> brake shoe?

Brake band springs --> brake shoe return springs?

Anyway, if your shoes are riveted the slide the hooked part of the tool on the spring, put the pointed in into a rivet depression along the line of the spring and squeeze. Don't know about bonded linings as I don't have those.

By the way, if you have loop of strong string you can simply loop it behind the spring and then pull on it. I did it that way for years before buying the special tool. What finally got me to buy the tool was the reinstallation of the springs.

You can put a small piece of lauan, or such under the point of the tool. This type of tool provides good control when removing, and installing a spring.

Edit: I have used locking pliers and screwdrivers followed by some curse words, and band-aids.

post-80-0-45151600-1394756599_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

You can put a small piece of lauan, or such under the point of the tool. This type of tool provides good control when removing, and installing a spring.

Yes if I intend to reuse the shoes I do that too. A piece of wood or anything handy that the point won't go through will work.

I used my buddy Matt, he just easily pulled the spring with a pliers...he's 6'5" and built like a small mountain and the strongest person I know.  He made it look easy.

I used the brake spring removal tool with a formed piece of metal to get the job done safely & quickly.  The metal was used as a cover for the brake shoe to prevent the tool from damaging the brake lining.  I scored a scrap piece of galvanized air conditioning duct, about 12" long x 6" wide.  I folded the metal in half in the bench vise so that it was still 12" long, then formed it so that it wedged between the brake shoe & the back plate lip.  The folded metal was thick enough that the brake tool would bite into it but not through it.  If the metal isn't wedged tight enough against the lip, it'll start moving around and does not respond well to creative German words  :cool:

Thank you guys for your responses. Now I know how to use the brake spring tool! Actually, I should have figured that out myself but, as usual, I didn't. Many thanks.

An OT question. When I attach photos to a post I first type the text and then attach the photos. As you see in my first post, the photos end up superimposed on the text. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct procedure? Thanks again.

Barry

Thank you guys for your responses. Now I know how to use the brake spring tool! Actually, I should have figured that out myself but, as usual, I didn't. Many thanks.

An OT question. When I attach photos to a post I first type the text and then attach the photos. As you see in my first post, the photos end up superimposed on the text. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct procedure? Thanks again.

Barry

Watch where your cursor is when you post the photo.

please never use needle nose pliers when I was a kid working on my first car . I used them on a brake spring it was all I had .  they slipped off and stuck up in my cheek bone just under my eye. thought this might save someone's eye.      twt

You were lucky. I use a small vise grip and cover it and my hand with a rag for removal and installation, but now I'm scared.

Hank  :eek:

Vice grips locked onto the hook part of spring as close to the coil as possible. Two hands on the grips and one move to streatch spring and un hook.  reverse to reinstall. It works fine, done it that way for years, never knew there was a tool to make it easier.

^^^^^That too! :rolleyes:

i've used the brake spring pliers for years, both on my cj and my b-1-fa. they work much better than pliers/vise-grips or levering via screwdriver, and are also just as useful for installing the springs as for removing them.

Edited by wallytoo

Edit: I have used locking pliers and screwdrivers followed by some curse words, and band-aids.

You and I have had similar experiences obviously. I almost always use the brake spring pliers. One time I didn't when working on my '95 GMC Sonoma. Ended up putting side of my head into the box when the regular pliers slipped. LOL Bent my glasses and lucky I did not damage my eye.

i've used the brake spring pliers for years, both on my cj and my b-1-fa. they work much better than pliers/vise-grips or levering via screwdriver, and are also just as useful for installing the springs as for removing them.

I kind of know what they look like but I've noticed some tools are bent differently than others. Would someone(s) please post some pictures of tools they have used sucessfully a few times over the years. Also manufacturer and model # might help me locate one at our local swap market. Does one Brake Tool both remove and install. 

Thanks,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

I kind of know what they look like but I've noticed some tools are bent differently than others. Would someone(s) please post some pictures of tools they have used sucessfully a few times over the years. Also manufacturer and model # might help me locate one at our local swap market. Does one Brake Tool both remove and install. 

Thanks,

Hank  :)

The one in post 5 takes off, puts on. Under $10 at the auto parts store,

Use the right size pliers if thats what you are going to use..

post-302-0-20881300-1395025784_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The one in my pic is a replacement. First one broke after I had only used it a few times. The rivet hole was not centered on it. Got a replacement, no charge. Looked close at the workmanship on the second one before I left the store.

The one in post 5 takes off, puts on. Under $10 at the auto parts store,

I try not to buy the cheapest. I did that with my first brake spring pliers and they bent on first use. Got an upgrade and replacement on the second set. They bent too. Finally went to the local auto parts store and bought the best they had and have used them probably 25 times with no problems. You usually get what you pay for.