some progress...

52b3b Joe

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!! As I've said before, I don't think I could have done as good as I did without everyone's support and help!!! Thanks Again!

I think tomorrow night I'll hit a local cruise with it. The truck definitly gets more attention than my 61 Ford convertible. When I took it to fill it up the first time everyone at the gas station was all over it. I think its partly due to no bed being on it, but I don't know. 

Correct front bumper....chrome grille....chrome square side mirror....the Ram's head painted....doggy dish embossment painted...correct color for the rims.....Radials??....and the correct location of the rearview mirror.

No-ice lookin' ride boyee! ^_^

48D    

Thanks Tim! The tires are bias, I have the original side mirror, but it needs a little TLC. It will go on eventually. I don't think these trucks/cars are ever done! 

Sure is a pretty show truck!!

Please show us a load of boulders in the new bed when it is installed!

Bob

I will definitely have to post a picture of that if it ever happens!!! No time soon though!!!!  :D

That plate originally would have been attached to the block just aft of the oil pump bulge. It would have been attached by 2 drive rivets. Paint might be covering up the original holes, but that's where it belongs.

I'll have to look for the rivets. I still don't have to plate on the engine. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the info! 

I took the truck out for the second time tonight, and ran into some issues that popped up. Unfortanatly my radiator's top tank is leaking again a lot worse than it ever has and now the gas tank is leaking on the bottom. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the gas tank yet. I don't know if I can find a replacement, fit in a W series tank like I have seen others do, or try to JB weld it for now. I am leaning on draining the tank, finding the leak and putting some JB weld on it. What do you think? As far as the radiator, I think I'm SOL. I would like an original radiator but they are a pricy gamble to find a good one. I see some aluminum ones on the internet, but I would hate the look of it I think.

Pay the price for a replacement core??? OR

Bit the bullet?

and replace with alum. one and paint flat back.

After all you have done which is the most important- restored or functional ability?.

Up to you, doubt anyone here will second guess your choice!

DJ

I took the truck out for the second time tonight, and ran into some issues that popped up. Unfortanatly my radiator's top tank is leaking again a lot worse than it ever has and now the gas tank is leaking on the bottom. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the gas tank yet. I don't know if I can find a replacement, fit in a W series tank like I have seen others do, or try to JB weld it for now. I am leaning on draining the tank, finding the leak and putting some JB weld on it. What do you think? As far as the radiator, I think I'm SOL. I would like an original radiator but they are a pricy gamble to find a good one. I see some aluminum ones on the internet, but I would hate the look of it I think.

Joe;

I had a more modern truck that developed a pin hole leak. I did what I thought was going to be a temporary repair in the parking lot at work that day. Self tapping screw and a rubber washer. When I sold it many years later it still had that "repair" and it never leaked again either.

Jeff

Can't add to what others have said, sure is nice. Find an engine block, paint it flat black and mount it on the frame over the rear axle. Be a nice conversation piece "rear end engine" and the truck will drive VERY nice.

A minor setback Joe which I am sure you will overcome. I recall when I had my original radiator refurbished for the blue truck and about a week later the fan went through the back of it. These things are set to try us!

Desoto, better the fan than a fire! lol

True that Paul!

I got a 'stack' of tanks in the shed at present, but suspect that It will be difficult to pick one for the 53 truck that holds gas!

post-3915-0-95375600-1404293921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

Joe;

I had a more modern truck that developed a pin hole leak. I did what I thought was going to be a temporary repair in the parking lot at work that day. Self tapping screw and a rubber washer. When I sold it many years later it still had that "repair" and it never leaked again either.

Jeff

I already have a repair in the top tank just like that in it. Now it is leaking at the core to tank area. I have to think about it for a while on what I want to do. 

A minor setback Joe which I am sure you will overcome. I recall when I had my original radiator refurbished for the blue truck and about a week later the fan went through the back of it. These things are set to try us!

Well I guess I can't complain about my little leak!!! That had to put dent in your motivation! 

• 4 weeks later...

I thought some would get a kick out of this, so here it is: On Saturday our local touring club had a tour not going far from my house, so I thought I'd take the truck on it's first outing with the club. I took the truck to a tractor show last weekend and put around 70 miles on it along with putting around the field with the tractors as they plowed. It was very warm and I was often shutting it off to talk to people then restarting it with no issues. Well this wasn't the case with it Saturday. I started it up and it was fine. I left the house and filled up the gas tank. From there on out, I had horrible vapor lock problems/fuel problem. I could hardly get the truck to restart after it had even sat a while, while touring some places. Then it got to the point of it stalling in a downtown Toledo intersection. We had to push it to get it started. After that one, it seemed to run a little better, but on the way home after cruising at 55 mph on the expressway, it died as I reached the top of an exit to get off. In the end my dad had to tow me with the 41 Desoto. I thought it was pretty funny! I don't have any pictures of the actual towing, but here is of me hooking it up. 

As far as the problem, I think I pumped some bad gas. I had no problems before I filled up in the morning, and it was a fairly cool day to be having those kinds of problems. The truck was running right at 180 and didn't go over that. I also don't have my fuel pump heat shield on yet, so I am going to install it soon along with an extra carb insulator gasket. To see if that played a roll in the problems. I don't see how I had these problems when I had it out in very hot weather idling around a field for hours and had zero issues the week before. I think its the fuel. 

post-3516-0-29615500-1406652241_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 1

did pop's think it was as funny? :D  i'll bet that was a "white knuckle" tow for both of you....  :)

it's the bed, if you had the bed on it would level out the fuel float indicator and you'd be fine!  REALLY!   :P

AHHH, I see. I'll get right on it!!! I should be getting close to having it back I would think. That reminds me, I need to call the body shop!

did pop's think it was as funny? :D  i'll bet that was a "white knuckle" tow for both of you....  :)

He didn't find it as funny as me, but I think deep down he enjoyed towing my truck with his car. The traffic wasn't bad at all and I don't think his car broke a sweat pulling me. 

Think of it this way Paul, without the weight of the truck bed, it's got a pretty healthy tail in the air attitude.  It could possibly be affecting the actual float level in the carb, causing his problem.  Whether or not that's the real problem remains to be seen but I suppose it's a possibility.  That's the way I interpreted it.

Think of it this way Paul, without the weight of the truck bed, it's got a pretty healthy tail in the air attitude.  It could possibly be affecting the actual float level in the carb, causing his problem.  Whether or not that's the real problem remains to be seen but I suppose it's a possibility.  That's the way I interpreted it.

I was actually going for funny...more along the lines of "blinker fluid" or "rotating his ball bearings"....sorry, I wasn't that clever!

I was actually going for funny...more along the lines of "blinker fluid" or "rotating his ball bearings"....sorry, I wasn't that clever!

That does remind me, I need to change out the winter air in my tires for some summer air....

• Like 1

I do hope you will use recycled air and be sure to recycle the winter air.

As someone who regularly recycles low pressure cold air into high pressure hot air......I support that. :lol:

48D  

• Like 1

Where to you get cold air these days in this climate? Low pressure avail. everywhere but not cold.

I need some!  :(

DJ

• Like 1

This evening I finally installed my fuel pump heat shield, I added a second thick carb base gasket, and I put some dry gas in the tank to mend a water problem if there is one. I also bought a new battery for the truck. I think the battery in it is going bad because the charging system is always putting out full bore and the battery always never seems to have a lot of power. I have tried to trickle charge it a few times and it doesn't seem to change anything. It's not wasted money if it doesn't end up being a problem because we need one for the 48 Desoto anyway. The 48 is getting closer to starting up for the first time, but that's a different topic. I am hoping the new battery makes an improvement. I'll install it tomorrow and go take it for a drive, hopefully it will come home under its own power!