Bolt spins then clicks and won't come out

Cooper40

We are trying to remove this bolt from the oil filter and it isn't coming out. It spins and then at a certain point there is a clicking sound and it won't come out any further. We tried prying up on the bottom of the bolt with no luck. You can see from the two pictures that it does move up slightly when prying on it. Any suggestions?

20230912_102237.jpg

20230912_102253.jpg

It looks like a standard canister with a cap. Can you pull the cap of the can to confirm? Maybe the pipe channel inside broke off or something... These filters cans are available on e-Bay, if necessary.

Here is a sealed one, for reference:

Edited by Ivan_B

17 minutes ago, Cooper40 said:

@Plymouthy Adams I think the filter element sits inside. Don't know if that's what you meant. 

A sealed filter canister is not designed to be open it it's designed to be discarded and replaced and it's entirety. The one that's on my car has no bolt on top I think what you are running into is the fact that you're bolt is likely captured and it needs to come off with the top that's separately from it.

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

A sealed filter canister is not designed to be open it it's designed to be discarded and replaced and it's entirety. The one that's on my car has no bolt on top I think what you are running into is the fact that you're bolt is likely captured and it needs to come off with the top that's separately from it.

Sniper is correct.

There is a rubber o-ring that seals the cap and they get stuck from years of being tightened down.

Take a rubber mallet and tap upward along the edge of the cap . This will loosen the cap from the filter housing. (hopefully you drained some oil out of the filter otherwise you may have a mess from oil in the canister coming out over the top)

Also, there should be a spring on the inside of the cap that the bolt goes through. That could be the "clicking" sound you hear.

Before you ask, this is the filter I use on my 48 P-15. Also when you install the seal for the cap, put a little grease on the rubber to keep it from slipping away from the seat of the filter. If it moves, about a 1/2 to 1 quart can spray over your engine. Ask me how I and others know this. LOL

Joe Lee

FRAM C134PL Oil and Fuel Filter

Edited by soth122003

17 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

I second what Joe said. Not a fun clean up. Also get a cheap turkey baster to remove the oil from the canister. Don’t steal your wife’s lol. Wipe out the rest and install the new filter.

go to your Dollar store and get several. If they are plastic style the plaster and the rubber end do deteriate. I like the metal tuber style. But they only last so long. I have been doing this for the past 35 years on my 1939 Desoto. It is a n easy job and just take some time to cleanout the old oil in the canister.

Rich Hartung

Or step up to the plate and get a finned Beehive filter, they normally come with a paper listing of over 1 dozen different filter canisters that fit and being a finned filter can they make the engine look faster..............lol...........at least thats my story..........andyd 

IMG_1543.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cooper40 said:

We got it off by hammering the cap from the underside like you guys suggested. Anyone know when this filter came out. Kind of curious.

No idea when it came out I'm guessing 20 minutes after you put the hammer to it, lol.

But to cross reference that part number

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/BIG-A/92080

Sniper................lol............I had the finned head, finned intake, finned valve side covers, split headers, even a custom water pump & was gunna have a finned aircleaner but sold it.............sometimes I do dumb things...lol...andyd. 

IMG_1389.JPG

• Haha 1