Front seat done

Tired iron

I've got the front seat finally finished. Sheesh, this seat was way harder than the rear. Not perfect, but so so much better than the rotting thing that was present when i got this meadowbrook.  Now carpeting and then the interior is finished.

20230412_143200.jpg.17cf46b0141294a0307d52158e08c0c9.jpg

20230621_110318.jpg.3419b88c5af231812bd75e5d4a152a0f.jpg

20230621_110034.jpg.f9c2ec2c629f9f848c5a6bd9ce1d2632.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. I gotta say...I really have enjoyed digging into upholstery work. At least my hands don't get greasy!

And now I can drive it without sitting on a milk crate.

Sorry, I don't have any in-progress pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I see. You do not need to use a pattern, unless you are mass-producing these. :) Did you left too much material on the back side? Or was the shape traced not close enough to the seat frame? I am just trying to understand where all these large wrinkles came from. Is there a way to, perhaps, manually fold them in a more appealing pattern, on both sides?

• Sad 1

Admirable job for a first time.  Those corners are tough.  It looks like the seams line up between the top and bottom sections.   I make patterns because I would need to make at least 2 identical pieces, make allowances for seams and mark for corners.  If I don't like the fit when sewn, I don't have to start from scratch.  I already have a pattern I can adjust.  Upholstery, like welding, body work, painting and mechanical repairs has a learning curve.  It can always be redone at some point in the future.  Right now, it's very serviceable.

16 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

I see. You do not need to use a pattern, unless you are mass-producing these. :) Did you left too much material on the back side? Or was the shape traced not close enough to the seat frame? I am just trying to understand where all these large wrinkles came from. Is there a way to, perhaps, manually fold them in a more appealing pattern, on both sides?

The large wrinkles happened because I didn't get the seam right when I sewed the horizontal seatbottom side piece to the vertical seatback piece. That, then, made the angle of the two pieces a little off which then crowded the corner with extra material after I sewed it all up and began fitting.

The original upholstery was gone, so I had to guess as to where to place this seam, using pictures off the internet as a guide. Next time, I think I'll actually staple the two pattern pieces together at my proposed seam so I can make sure I get the angle just right before sitting down at the Consew. Live and learn!

In the two years I've been a regular to this forum, I've observed all the support and comraderie, along with the wealth of knowledge about these great old cars. You all have been such a great resource and I thank you all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1