Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

MoPar Evr-Dry WeatherProofing Service kit

MarcDeSoto

Has anyone ever installed one these accessory Ever-Dry kits on their spark plugs.  I just found an NOS box I bought make in the 80s.  I saw that it's going to be hard trying to put the rubber boots over the 90 degree spark plug terminals.  I guess lubricant will help.  I'm including my scan of the original 1949 instructions.  

evrdry ad.png

mopar evrdry kit.jpg

evrdry.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I think I have a magazine ad that shows a man with a sprinkler hose dousing the engine with water as the engine goes on without a miss!  

That will be true for any engine good ignition wires. Unless you have exposed spark plug terminals on your wires, and you are driving around in the rain with the hood open, you should have nothing to worry about. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

Slide the end without the terminal on it backwards through the rubber boot. That way you don't have to work the 90 degree terminal end through the boot. Should slide right up in.

The "Enjoy quick starting..." promotional artwork took some artistic liberties?  I only see five spark plugs and five spark plug wires.  There are strange white blobs, where the spark plug would be, at the wires coming out of the tube, and at the distributor cap. Maybe the Ever-Dry works for 5 out of 6 spark plugs. 

I had these on my car when I bought it.  They had a metal cup that was held in place by the spark plug.  The rubber boot then fit over the edge of the disk.  Mine developed leaks around the  edge of the cups which caused a loss of some compression.  I finally gave up on them and removed them.  I've had no problems since.

Edited by busycoupe

if I remember correctly you do not use the copper compression gasket that comes with each sparkplg when using  the everdry kit. The metal cup which sits inthe whole for the plug becomes the copper gasket.

Line number 3 makes note of the NON-USE of the copper gasket I was able to make this line bigger to read the statement.

I also have a set of these still in the MoPar Box. These wee useful on the cars that had the butterfly wing style dood that opened in the center instead of the aligator stype that hinged at the back of the hood.  The center style hood hinge allowed the water to weep down onto the top of the head and into the sparkplugs holes

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

All 1946-52 Chrysler's with the flathead six or eight had Evr-Dry's installed from the factory.

I've never had a problem with them in my cars for over 40 years.

The Evr-Dry kits have junk distributor cap terminal ends though.

Sometimes the brass ends stick in the cap when removing the wires.

I always install professional ends with the correct crimping tool.

MANY guys on the Dodge Power Wagon forum refer to these as "Ever-wet" and have ditched them.  Crevices around each plug will hold the water, condensation, etc.  Trucks that are used regularly burn off that moisture and rarely have a problem.

Dick Hultman

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

All 1946-52 Chrysler's with the flathead six or eight had Evr-Dry's installed from the factory.

I've never had a problem with them in my cars for over 40 years.

The Evr-Dry kits have junk distributor cap terminal ends though.

Sometimes the brass ends stick in the cap when removing the wires.

I always install professional ends with the correct crimping tool.

I didn't know these kits came standard on 46-52 models.  My Evr-Dry kit just has what's shown in the pic above.  No distributor cap terminals.  I had a 50 Plymouth once that shorted out if it rained because the hood was in two pieces even though it was an alligator hood.  On cars like that, you have to get this kit, or seal the leak with silicone.  

If someone hates these kits...please send them to me?

• Like 1

I'm hoping someone who has had issues with them will find this thread and give first hand experience with them as to why they failed.  I too have heard that they got the nick name Ever-wet.  I was going to get a set for my car.  Kind of pricey though.  But then as I started to research them I was reading nothing but complaints.  So I passed on them.  A couple of my plug recesses often fill with water.  I can't figure out where it's coming from.  It's not sweet so it isn't coolant leaking from a hose or gasket and I don't drive Harmony in the rain. 

It's good to hear Dodgeb4ya's side of the story.   

My.52 Dodge pu has them on it.

I put them on it in the mid 70's and used to drive thst truck every day in the 70's thru the 90's.

It's very wet here in the Seattle area..never had a misfire in it from leaky wet Evr-Dry's.

Yes water when the truck sat over night water did leak from the 3 piece hood and into the gap between the metal cups and the head well.

No issues from that other than the cups got a little rusty looking.

Also no plug gaskets are used...tighten the plugs tight...no leaking issues.

My Chrysler's are never left out in the rain. They will rot. 

• Thanks 1

First hand terrible experience right here, got repros from DCM, my truck with the split hood lives outside, the cups seem to seal the plug whole decent enough, you remove the plug washer before installing 

Problem was the really really cheap boots not securing over the lip of the cup very well at all, felt like the boots were a wee bit too small, and this is right out of the box, when you finally felt get that lip all down around it, you can’t even think about touching the plug wire or an edge of the boot will pull off, I fought these things for a few months and now they’re off, in less than one year the rubber boots developed crack at the bend, as I’m working on this truck the whole time, they have been moved many times, but still 

I hate those things more than any repro part I’ve ever bought, never again!

On 1/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, 47Jim said:

First hand terrible experience right here, got repros from DCM, my truck with the split hood lives outside, the cups seem to seal the plug whole decent enough, you remove the plug washer before installing 

Problem was the really really cheap boots not securing over the lip of the cup very well at all, felt like the boots were a wee bit too small, and this is right out of the box, when you finally felt get that lip all down around it, you can’t even think about touching the plug wire or an edge of the boot will pull off, I fought these things for a few months and now they’re off, in less than one year the rubber boots developed crack at the bend, as I’m working on this truck the whole time, they have been moved many times, but still 

I hate those things more than any repro part I’ve ever bought, never again!

That's good to know.