Ugh... Insurance Companies. Which One?

Skrambler

Hello All.

It appears that I have come to a crossroad.

For over 23 years I have had all of my Antique, Classic, Daily drivers insured with State Farm. I figured, that since I have my homes, and all these multiple policy's covered under one Company, I should be given he best rates out there. Right?

Not to get too involved personally, I can also state that I have not had a claim in MANY years either. (Now I best go knock on wood somewhere).

I recently bought another Antique Vehicle and contacted my Agent for the cost of insuring the new car. I must admit, I was pretty shocked at the quote given to me... This got me thinking, maybe I should do a bit of phoning around to see what is going on out there in the world of strictly "Collector Car Insurers".

I contacted Grundy, American Collectors Insurance Co., Condon Skelly, and Hagerty.

For my four Antique Policies, all of the above Companies came pretty darn close to what I was paying State Farm. And, the deductibles and the coverage amounts where pretty much tied with my current policies, that is with the exception of Hagerty.... For better coverage, NO/ZERO deductibles and the same total loss values Hagerty beat the others by several hundred dollars over a one year term!

I phoned my State Farm Agent, and he immediately wanted to meet with me, in person to discuss my policies. I will not bore you with the details of that meeting, but the outcome was that he simply could not touch what Hagerty was quoting.

My question before this board is "What have you all found with dealing with Hagerty?".  "Have any of you had to place a claim with them?".  "Where you satisfied with the outcome of this claim?".

ANY input and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Hagerty came out on top? They were $550 higher then Grundy for identical policies on my three cars. I switched from State Farm to Grundy January first of this year and saved a bundle! Like $750 and got a better policy.

I switched from Condon and Skelly to Hagerty about 4 years ago. I haven't had a claim which is the biggest judge of how they are but the few dealings I've had with them have been great. I had just renewed one year and we were about to go on a long 3 day tour. I called them and within minutes had a printable proof of insurance to print and bring.

Insurance is usually on parr with the shell game....location depends a lot on prices and levels of coverage...not all companies can write polices all states...they have several underwriters depending on your location...and who will be the eventual policy holder.  After 35+ years I have changed my insurance carrier for the 06 daily driver..my daily driver jumped 170.00 for 6 months...and same folks just wrote my 2015 Caravan again some 170 cheaper...call to corp..explanation..just the way the computer spits it out...not the right answer...I asked her to reprocess the car as if I just bought it use...same coverage..came back less...still a bit more than the 2105 but lots less than it was in the renewal..no explanation for the cost was my reason to wave bye bye

collectors are with Hagerty....Grundy does well for the most part on multi car classic policy..

I've used classic car insurance for 40 years both Grundy and Haggerty and some of the "everyday" companies off shoot write ups too.

I never had a problem with any of them and did have a claim on a damaged car on route to me. The damege was minimal and the transporter stepped up but Haggerty was backing me up.

Right now I have two cars with Grundy and both are under 200.00 for the year with replacement values around 15 grand each.

Their secured in my 2 1/2 car garage attached to the house, I have two Dobermanns and I'm now a terrible shot which makes me "more dangerous" ha!

Grundy is a little more personable but both do a great job.

Doc.

I had talked to Hagerty about insuring my car, but as soon as I mentioned that I had 1-1/2" lowering blocks on the rear springs they said that they wouldn't cover the car.  Grundy didn't care about the lowering blocks ......

Marty

I have always used J.C.Taylor.  I've never had a claim but my brother did once and they paid for all the repairs.

I have 6 cars insured right now with values ranging from 5K to 15K with a total of 60K total value.

I just paid my yearly premium which was $472.00 total for all the cars.

I had a classic Benz, and I used American Collectors. They were reasonable. But then again, I do have a clean record, and I didn't shop around. When I get my Plymouth on the road, I may ask Erie, who is my regualr company now, then compare notes.

I've always had Condon & Skelly, no issues, great rates, but have never had a claim, either.  A friend uses Hagerty for his "up-engined" 68 GTO.  He creased a rear quarter backing it into his garage, and they did an excellent job with the claim and repairs.  Each company has its "subtle nuances" that draw customers, but whether we like it or not this is a limited customer base and they can be particular with what/how they cover, which I don't mind.  I don't want the same policy as some nug that only has an old car because its cheaper to register and insure.  Our old cars are stock and have always been garaged, so no issues, C&S even started a lay-up provision recently for the winter months - quite sensible here in NY, and I'm pretty sure it will apply in Maine, too.  

Is there any way you can buy just liability with these companies and park it on the driveway instead of a garage?  The requirement of the garage is what's hanging me up.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content44654.aspx

Updated: January 31, 2009

Published: January 27, 2009

What does a garaged auto mean?
A

Each insurance company can define a "garaged vehicle" differently based on their guidelines and policy terms. How an insurance provider defines garaged vehicle should described in each individual policy.

In general though an insured will classify a car as a "garaged auto" if it is stored in a garage at night. This means not parked in the driveway or street but in an actual garage. Knowing if a car is garaged may make a difference in your risk to your insurance company for having a vehicle stolen or other rating factors.

Some auto insurance policies, typically classic car ones, here and in the UK stipulate that the vehicle must be garaged for certain coverages to be maintained. This type of policy will normally say that when your vehicle is not in use, it must be kept in a fully enclosed and locked garage (carports, temporary garages). Zip up garages and covered vehicles kept outside are not acceptable as being a garaged auto.

Sometimes an insurance company will speak about where a vehicle is garaged. When referring to "being garaged" an insurance carrier typically means the address and location of where the car is kept, it does not necessarily in this context mean the car is actually in a garage. For instance a car insurance application may ask for the address for billing and also ask if that is also the garage location of the vehicle.

If your insurance policy speaks of a garaged vehicles or garaged location see if it also defines this term anywhere in the policy or even online on your insurance provider's website, if they have one.

For example Esurance defines garaging location as where your insured car is parked most of the time. This location is usually indicated by the ZIP Code of the policyholder's primary residence. With Esurance or other carriers if you keep your car in a town other than the one you live you would need to notify them of this fact. Your garaging location will affect your auto insurance rates usually.

To find out what a garaged vehicle means to your insurance company read through your policy and then speak to your agent if you need to seek clarification.

Come to us for instant car insurance quotes.

I know one personstated they were using their regular everyday car insurance carrier to insure their antique cars.  Yes this can be done but the big question you need to ask you regular car insurance carrier is how is you antique car coverage terminology. Do they have AGREED VALUES or STATED VALUE onthe car.

Basically most regular car the ones ewe use for everyday commuting have a stated value and when in an accident inwhich the car gets totalled then they depreciate the value.

But witht he specialty antique car insuracne they have what is called AGREEd VALUE. You stated how mush you want to have the car insured for and lets say 20k. If the car is then totalled then they will pay you 20K with no depreciation.

But there are some states that have a 70% limitation onthe agreed value becareful to ask questions to see how your state worked when calling one the major carriers that have the agreed value plans.

So buyere beware when selecting the insuracne carrier for you antique car.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I just spoke toone of the GRUNDY rep's to get their meaning of GARAGED.

Basically the car must be in an enclosed lockable gagre either attached to th

e home or a sperate building that is on the premices as your home seperate free standing lockable building

A car port or one of those free standing viynal temp garge covering with the metal frameing are not permitted and the car is not covered.

You can have the car stored in a lockable gage on a sperate property and this is covered also if you have the car in a storage place that is used that you rent on a monthly basis when you have to store furnoture and other junk is ok so long as the section that you have the car stored is is locable.

So best advise is to contact your specific carrier to get their meaning of garaged.  But I would think they will all be the same, but not sure.

Best to do your own homework.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Also note that some of these carriers will not permit anyone under the age of 25 year of age to driver your antique car.  Grundy states for their eligibility Youthful drivers under the age of 25 are excluded. So you might not be covered if you let your son/daughter or son inlaw or any relatuve that is under the age of 25 drive the car you might not be covered if they have an accident.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

They all have great prices until you have a claim!!!!! I was with Hagerty for years, no claims. One night after a car show I left my car out over night. Got egged by a little :*&t head. Hagerty cancelled my policy. REASON, all insured cars are to be garaged every night (its in the fine print) I went with my local agent for home and other cars, not a huge difference. other than NO SMALL PRINT. Insurance is only good when you need it HAGERTY let me down.

I know one personstated they were using their regular everyday car insurance carrier to insure their antique cars.  Yes this can be done but the big question you need to ask you regular car insurance carrier is how is you antique car coverage terminology. Do they have AGREED VALUES or STATED VALUE onthe car.

Basically most regular car the ones ewe use for everyday commuting have a stated value and when in an accident inwhich the car gets totalled then they depreciate the value.

But witht he specialty antique car insuracne they have what is called AGREEd VALUE. You stated how mush you want to have the car insured for and lets say 20k. If the car is then totalled then they will pay you 20K with no depreciation.

But there are some states that have a 70% limitation onthe agreed value becareful to ask questions to see how your state worked when calling one the major carriers that have the agreed value plans.

So buyere beware when selecting the insuracne carrier for you antique car.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I had an Agreed value policy on each of my classics with State Farm, no special policy just an agreed value. I was paying extra for the agreed value policy but didn't mind because I knew if something were to happen I had an agreed value policy with State Farm and they had agreed to give me the agreed value if there was a total loss. 10 years later a guy pulls out in front of the 1940 and I hit him hard and "total" my car. His insurance company offers 2k for the car because its old. I told progressive where to shove it and called up State Farm and tell them it's been totaled and send me the money we both agreed to 10 years ago when I put the agreed value policy on the car. thats when I was informed that State Farm agreed value policies do not work that way, they have to send an adjuster out to determine the value of the car so they can give you a check for the amount that the car is actually worth and not the amount I said it was worth that we entered into an agreement on when I started the agreed value policy. To say the least I was very upset. Ended up getting some legal advice and got bent over by progressive on the car value and then returned the favor to them when it came to my wife's injury clam from the crash, and then kicked State Farm to the curb and found a company that understands an agreed value policy and honors their end of the agreement.

The above post made me think about my agreement with Grundy. I plan on a few trips once the P22 is worthy and obviously I'm not RENTING a garage

away from home. I didn't buy this one to hang around town, thanks for keeping me sharp!

Doc.

The above post made me think about my agreement with Grundy. I plan on a few trips once the P22 is worthy and obviously I'm not RENTING a garage

away from home. I didn't buy this one to hang around town, thanks for keeping me sharp!

Doc.

You do not need to rent a garage when you are on a trip.  You need the gagre when you are storing the car at your home.  It needs to be in a locked garage when not being used such as winter storage not when on a trip.

rich hartung

I had an Agreed value policy on each of my classics with State Farm, no special policy just an agreed value. I was paying extra for the agreed value policy but didn't mind because I knew if something were to happen I had an agreed value policy with State Farm and they had agreed to give me the agreed value if there was a total loss. 10 years later a guy pulls out in front of the 1940 and I hit him hard and "total" my car. His insurance company offers 2k for the car because its old. I told progressive where to shove it and called up State Farm and tell them it's been totaled and send me the money we both agreed to 10 years ago when I put the agreed value policy on the car. thats when I was informed that State Farm agreed value policies do not work that way, they have to send an adjuster out to determine the value of the car so they can give you a check for the amount that the car is actually worth and not the amount I said it was worth that we entered into an agreement on when I started the agreed value policy. To say the least I was very upset. Ended up getting some legal advice and got bent over by progressive on the car value and then returned the favor to them when it came to my wife's injury clam from the crash, and then kicked State Farm to the curb and found a company that understands an agreed value policy and honors their end of the agreement.

This is why the presentation by the Specialty Insurance carriers is so important. This is a major topic of discussion every year at the AACA Annual Meeting that is held in Philadlephia PA.  If you are insured by your regular car ins company then please check into the policy to see what it really covers you DO NOT want to be in for a BIG and UNHAPPY SURPRIZE when you have a claim.  I can not stress this enought.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I have a State Farm antique/classic policy on the P15. Over the past several years the cost has inched up from around $100 per year tp about $200 a year. They will give you a stated amount of coverage based on either an appraisal by someone considered expert in old cars...,or will often go with a figure in the Antique Auto price guide book.

They want your antique to be in good original or restored condition based on inspection and photos by the agent. I have seen fairly nice, but not slick, old daily drivers turned down. Regarding claims---i had a good adjuster following the 2011 tornado who did his best to include everything that needed repair. There is also a provision for a small amount of spare parts ($500 as I recall).....plus no time limit for payment on added or higher-than-estimated costs. I received more on my top bow replacement as well as on the convertible top.

The car did not have enough damage to call a "total"......thank goodness.

I have my P-15 insured through the Collector Car portion of Geico. It is a completely different policy than my everyday cars. It's insured for an agreed value with unlimited miles and zero deductible. 200 for the entire year.