Dolly Dodge Update

Hi all:  I was gone for a week but back again.  Yes I did the gates, the wheels were off some old fire hose carts.  The tach was done by Mark Clawson of Clawson Classic Instruments using and old speedo case and a 6v tach from Westach (it was very hard to find a 6 volt tach, and Mark had to do quite a bit of customizing. I also got my vacuum and volt gauges from Westach).  As far as what I was leaning forward to adjust, I was just using my hand to push the accelerator u

Your photos are fantastic of the underside and the especially of the parking brake linkage.  Clean is an understandment... very sharp looking.

The parking brake cable where it connects to the lever is supposed to have a return spring connect at the same point at the bottom of the lever.  During the tear down phase of my B-3-B all that was there was an inch of spring hanging down from the connection point on the lever for the spring and parking brake cable. 

So I have two questions today :)

1.  Did you manage to find a replacement spring and if so where did you get it from.

2.  Where does the long extension (#4-19-4) of this spring (#4-19-1) connect to on the vehicle? 

Nothing stood out to me as the obivious connection/anchor point for the extensiion end when I broke the parking brake down.

The attached photo is from my parts B-series catalog and it gives no connection point in any photos there nor does the truck shop manuel as far as I can find.

Enjoy reading your updates

post-7088-0-31452200-1424981612_thumb.jpg

I had a supply of parking brake springs and extensions made from stainless steel a while back Phil. I'll have to check for you to see whether I still have some left over. There should be a small hole in the chassis cross member where the extension part fits into.

post-3915-0-12398400-1424997723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

I had a supply of parking brake springs and extensions made from stainless steel a while back Phil. I'll have to check for you to see whether I still have some left over. There should be a small hole in the chassis cross member where the extension part fits into.

Thanks for the photo and the measurement information ... I found the anchor point.  I was curious what could have gone there as every point on the cross member had something connected to it with just the exception of this one small hole.  It just did not scream .. HEY!!! I am the anchor point for that spring over there :P  well now I know.

Sent you a PM as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Dolly Dodge is on the road again. My mom and her dog Rachel went with me. I am having a little trouble with hot starts as you will see. It starts right away ...when cold, but takes several attempts when warm. Also the gas pedal was sticking so the shifts are a little rough (grinds a bit). I got that fixed this afternoon. She runs really nice. All the gauges work, no leaks, nothing: works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNFFpx0owjs&list=UUJACJS-2H6EdCN-Pxuvb4Kw

• Like 4

It appears that I am the first to congratulate you Rob. Your workmanship, patience and persistence are to be commended. Well done to you!

I (and are many others here) have looked forward to seeing the old DD return to the roadway for a long time, and it is so good that the big day has arrived.

DD seemed to cruise along quite well on the highway. I love that tach which you fitted! What was the sticky throttle caused by?... just a fitting in the linkage too tight?

I look forward to seeing many more ventures of Dolly Dodge.

Edit:  Meant to ask are you running a crash box?... or do you just need a slight clutch adjustment?

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

DesotoDav. The gas pedal post was hitting the firewall. I made the hole a little bigger when we got back, and now it is fine. The reason the gears were grinding is because the gas pedal was sticking and the rpms didn't drop down when I shifted, all is fixed now, no more crashbox. Thanks for the congrats, fun to be on the road again.

Will have to drive my truck to D V in the spring when the flowers are in bloom. Our patinas would draw a crowd, now a word to the wise, don't trade the dog for a cat!! lol

Edit:  Meant to ask are you running a crash box?... or do you just need a slight clutch adjustment?

Most definitely a non-synchronized, spur gear (aka crash box) transmission. It has the signature gear whine in 2nd and 3rd gears. Working on double clutching technique will help with the gear grinding as well, but a sticky throttle isn't helping.

Good job getting DD back on the road. Looking forward to seeing the "Continuing Adventures of Dolly Dodge".

Merle

Will have to drive my truck to D V in the spring when the flowers are in bloom. Our patinas would draw a crowd, now a word to the wise, don't trade the dog for a cat!! lol

'.....don't trade a dog for a cat!!" 

I know there is a message there but it escapes me. B)

As one of our famous Politicians once said (Desoto Dav knows who she is)...."Please explain......?"

'.....don't trade a dog for a cat!!" 

I know there is a message there but it escapes me. B)

As one of our famous Politicians once said (Desoto Dav knows who she is)...."Please explain......?"

It is alleged that a now missing cat had something to do with the fire that burned pflaming's truck. My guess is the implication is that dogs are less inclined to be arsonists.

• Like 1

It is alleged that a now missing cat had something to do with the fire that burned pflaming's truck. My guess is the implication is that dogs are less inclined to be arsonists.

I once had a dog that ate a five thousand dollar fire damage insurance check right out of my wife's purse leaving every thing else intact. My point being that dogs can be as dangerous as cats in a fire situation.  :o

Alleged? Tod you must be an attorney..... ;) or a cat lover? :lol: A decent dog would have at the very least woke the whole neighborhood when that fire got started. When did a cat ever run to it's master and try and tell him that "Timmie fell down the well" ? Never......'cause they just don't care. A good dog could go a long way to keeping Paul out of trouble......

Alleged? Tod you must be an attorney..... ;) or a cat lover? :lol: A decent dog would have at the very least woke the whole neighborhood when that fire got started. When did a cat ever run to it's master and try and tell him that "Timmie fell down the well" ? Never......'cause they just don't care. A good dog could go a long way to keeping Paul out of trouble......

I am not now nor have I ever been an attorney. Here is a photo of our last pet, she was very sweet.

post-45-0-99275500-1425856073_thumb.jpg

Hey Merle:  My tranny is a non synchronized model.  I got the gas pedal moving smoothly now, no grinding of gears now.  I learned to double clutch that old truck when I was about 12.  I almost didn't post the video because I new folks would comment on the gear grinding, but I didn't know I had the sticky pedal until I drove it out the gate.  Anyway all is well now.

As one who is at the starting gate for driving again, I can appreciate the feeling you got when that engine ran AND THE GAUGES WORKED.  That is no mean task;  just one bad wire, one bad connection, one bad connector, one loose bolt, one bad ground, and rust frustration begins to set in. Had one park light bucket that would not light, finally had to put a ground screw through it to the fender. Fire damages many things the eye cannot see.  Much more insidious than rust itself.

Nice work, been enjoying your journey.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I sure like the whine of that spur gear 4 speed. Reminds me of my brothers 1950 dodge panel 4 speed whine. I used to do gardening hauling jobs when I wasa kid and always liked that whiny spur gear transmission.

He still has the panel... now for 48 years!

.. I almost didn't post the video because I new folks would comment on the gear grinding, but I didn't know I had the sticky pedal until I drove it out the gate.  Anyway all is well now.

I'm sure glad you posted it. You should have heard me crunching gears a couple of weeks back on my way to (and home from) a car show. I hadn't driven the blue truck in a while, and still have no idea how the clutch got out of adjustment. I spent about 5 minutes underneath the truck when I got home with a 1/2 inch and 7/16 spanner and all was well again!

post-3915-0-32705300-1425929989_thumb.jpg