What's Your Stance?

larryconnors

My P15 has the original suspension and wheels and tires which has it sit high and level. In fact, it's stance is striking compared to modern cars. I know many of you like your car to sit lower or to be raked toward the front. Why did you choose the stance you did and what advantage does it give you?

Larry, the same holds true for the Pilot-house trucks. To my eye two simple things significantly changes the looks of these vehicles: (!) clearance i.e., a lower stance and (2) wider tires. The height gives a better height / width balance and the tires a better look for the foundation. I lowered my truck 2" front and back and put on 235 x 75 x 15 radials on 5.5 rims. 

From my viewpoint my carriage shows attitude by both the color and posture without being over bearing. From my standpoint I see a slight slant to the front. To avoid say-so I will take a stand saying I like my stance without fear of deportment.

gold16.jpg

• Like 3

I like mine stock height as a personal preference, it looks like they are standing tall and ready to perform, not slouching around. Plus I like not dragging my cars into parking lots or over speed bumps.....

post-19-0-02476300-1370651737_thumb.jpgslightly aggressive looking with front slight lower than the rear...

PS..though the profile has not changed, the wheels and other components are slightly varied..the axles and hubs and drum/disc plus the wheels are now all converted to 5 x 4.5

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Mine has a all original suspension and it has a bit of rake with the back sitting high. Maybe the HD spring package on the rear of my 3/4 ton truck has something to do with that. ;)  If it was carrying a load of grain, like it did many times earlier in it's life, it would probably level right out.

Mine sits level, to just a bit lower in the rear.   

I keep two 60 pound sandbags just behind the rear seat which gives the car a slightly heavier feel and

keeps the rear end from being a bit high.  

Have all original springs which I'm sure are a little weak.

100_7571.jpg

• Like 1

Larry, Your 2 door is a great looking car.  To me it would look even better slightly lowered front and back.  Assuming its a stocker, I'm not suggesting anything agressive.  In my opinion, 2" would make it look more stabile, more attached to the road, in todays environment.  Most folks won't even notice.  Also one coil out of the spring will stiffen the ride slightly, a small bit more like  a newer car. 

Edited by mrwrstory

What I've found interesting in this thread, is that what others did to their vehicles seemed to be correct. Some do look better stock and color also is a consideration. I like the coupes with the front slightly lower, the older sedans stock the the verts a bit lower and level. It's all personal and yet this is a good thread to see what the choices are and what the results are.

Edited by pflaming

49 truck still has stock 7 front 8 rear leaf spring packs, going to be 5 front 6 rear with the 2 smallest pulled out. If I can stand a beer can up under the running boards, bed unloaded, it's too high off the ground. Plus, it is a whole lot easier to load the vintage motor or pedal cycles with it closer to the ground.

69 truck is a former shine hauler. Springs are beyond worn out. The cattle racks on it now turned it into a near tail dragger, probably lowered the rear 4 inches or so. And I started out with 3/4 ton spec springs stock, it's a 1/2 ton camper special. The shine was hauled in saddle tanks with a fake fuel transfer switch and dummy lines. The switch operated the tank drains. Truck was well known to the ATF, got me stopped not long after I bought it, they thought I'd taken over the runs. They never did figure out how the stuff was hauled (pop the cap and it smelled like gasoline, little dummy tank off the filler neck fillable via syringe).

Edited by Scruffy49

69 truck is a former shine hauler. Springs are beyond worn out. The cattle racks on it now turned it into a near tail dragger, probably lowered the rear 4 inches or so. And I started out with 3/4 ton spec springs stock, it's a 1/2 ton camper special. The shine was hauled in saddle tanks with a fake fuel transfer switch and dummy lines. The switch operated the tank drains. Truck was well known to the ATF, got me stopped not long after I bought it, they thought I'd taken over the runs. They never did figure out how the stuff was hauled (pop the cap and it smelled like gasoline, little dummy tank off the filler neck fillable via syringe).

I'd love to see a picture of this truck!  :)

Both, really. But especially this one.

That is a great story.

I'd love to see a picture of this truck!  :)

Both, really. But especially this one.

Just your typical "ragged out old farm beater". All the whiskey hauling parts are long gone, I've had the truck for 9 years. I'm too old to be messing with the revenuers... There are a couple pics of it in the O.T. section's Work Car thread. One as purchased, one as it sits now.

ChampatHahobas_zps157d599b.jpg Taken at a Boy Scout camp in western WA. The tank is hanging down below the filler door. Primary saddle tank went into a 55 Dodge, secondary saddle tank went into a pie plate (65.5-67) D100.

• Like 1

My '37 probably sits as original (as much as original springs will let it). In the past, my cars stance were changed. My '59 Pontiac Catalina was lowered with clamped springs. Lake pipes would hit the curb if I got too close. It changed some when I went from 14" wheels to 15" Buick Wildcat rims. My '99 Dakota R/T (sold) and my wife's 2000 Dakota R/T (still has it) sit about 2" lower than a regular Dakota. This is from the factory. Before the Pontiac, I had a '54 Merc that I reversed the rear shackles which raised the rear. My '64 GTO was raised all around with 2" ball joint spacers and twist in blocks in the front and air bag in the rear.

1959Pontiac2.jpg