To keep or not to keep?

Rollie���

On my very clean '51 Plymouth (which numbers indicate was built on the second to last day of '51 production and has zero rust through) I did the front disk brake conversion. I have kept all of the front drum parts but they have taking up valuable space for two years now. So the question I pose to all of you early Mopar faithful is: do I keep the drum assemblies for the next owner, throw that junk away, or donate them to some body that can use them. My line of thinking has been to save the drum parts for the next owner since the car is so dang original, but will these parts ever be important to a future owner?

discuss.

Disc brakes are simply safer, I doubt anyone would want to return to the "drums of death". You also should consider just how "desireable" an all original 51 Plymouth is on the market (outside of the purist lobby). A lot of folks wouldn't even know the difference. You'll probably find that if you decide to sell the car, the potential buyer will give you one of those odd looks when you ask if they want the old brake parts. Not that I'm very good at this (I tend to keep things I'll probably never need), but I'd offer the old parts either for sale, trade, or just for someone to take off my hands. If in good condition, just those drums, (despite my previous comment), are getting hard to find and can fetch enough to make other improvements to your car.

Keep them..put a good coat of paint to protect them from rusting out...get some pipe to stick in the holes and use them at car shows as base mounts the plastic chain that surrounds your car to keep the little snooties away from the car..(they kinda big and clumsey to use as a paperweight)

For me there was no turning back. I traded my brake parts for other parts I needed. Now I have more space to store more worthless stuff.

And for Tim, I dont chain my car off at shows. I dont use the "dont touch unless nude" signs as I got tired of the beautiful young ladys who accepted that offer:rolleyes: I encourage all to touch my car, sit in it, and enjoy it.

yeah right nude takers on your offer, maybe the teapot guy...! here in the buckle of the bible belt as they say...regard the buckle..these folks tend to be fond of 4.75 pound belt buckles with Skoal, Budwiser, Remmington etc in bass releif...these things are murder on paint as they look into windows and lean over fenders..ladies wear them too..evident by dents on the rear bumpers...I think uyou get the picture of the average southern car show arena..it is my honest beief if they inheirited a Roll Royce there would be rifle rack, mudders, stacks and a dogbox mounted before sundown..bumper sticker that says BACK OFF-TOBACCO CHEWER

Edited by Tim Adams

Everybody to his own. We have a newer Chrysler T&C with MODERN Brakes.

If I wanted another car with disc brakes--I would buy another late model car!

Sure--They are better,but with common sense,I can drive my 40s models and

enjoy what they felt like. I really dont want a new tech. car with a old skin covering it. It just isnt a old car,and We like old cars. Im not trying to say anything to irritate anyone!!!! Just expressing our feelings. Isnt that what this forum is for? Frank M.

sure thing Frank, some folks love the areneline rush of a panic stop..

my 54 is still stock brakes but I will upgrade when the time to renew the brakes come about..kits are already laid aside...as I heard it, Nebraska..one dirt road in, one dirt road out...if you ain't from around here, keep rolling..not picking on ya, actually jealous as this area gets hectic at times and I am still considered in the country...

As I said before--TO EACH HIS OWN! Tim--Dont worry about picking on me. I started driving in 47. Not as many panic stops as may be thought. Again,COMMON SENSE! Disc brakes are not Panic Proof! How can I get this thru AGAIN? When I wanna drive a old car---I wanna drive a REAL old car, not a Hybrid ! Ill take my chances with my "DRUMS OF DEATH" Ive found if they are adjusted correctly They can put you thru the wind shield. All they really lack is "CHIC" Frank M.

I guess I feel like Frank. When I drive my old car it is so that I can experience what it was like to drive back in the day. Driving any old car comes with an increased risk of injury. It is true they do not have modern brakes, they also do not have modern suspensions, dash padding, crush zones, air bags, etc. Even if you replace the brakes and bolt in seat belts driving an old car is still far more hazardous than driving a new car. I would never want to drive an old car as a daily driver, there are simply too many cars available for short money that have been built in the last ten years and have modern safety features. That said, I still enjoy my old car and enjoy driving it when the roads are dry and not too busy. Even then I try to leave myself plenty of room to maneuver and stop.

Dave

Mopar Lockheed brakes are decent equipment, when well maintained and correctly adjusted, at least on my car, I have had a few minor panic stops, worked well.

Now in all fairness, I have not driven a 40s Mopar with the upgraded to front disc brakes, so cannot compare. Maybe someday will get the opportunity to drive someones car, and see for myself.

I do know many have there cars and trucks with the stock drums, which at times get a bad rap on here, by some who see them as antiquated inferior brake systems that have no place on a modern roadway.

I can understand anyone who lives in hill country, or regular high traffic freeway speeds, or anywhere there is heavy traffic, or as mentioned the untimely panic stop.

I for one would not worry about nostalgia if these brake systems did not work, or were totally unreliable, I would switch immediately no questions asked, but for now they are working just fine.

I am interested in the moderness of the disc conversion though and any benefits they may provide, mind you I drive slow, and live in a light traffic area, and usually keep my car at 55 mph or less, so I may have an advantage over those in high traffic areas. Wonder can we get some opinions on those with stock brakes driving on freeways and in high traffic areas to declare how their stock brakes are performing....

Edited by Rockwood

long before I got my daily cars with power brakes and cruise control any and all trips of any length netted me a stiff and sore leg that took the fun out of my arrival for a couple days and then it was usally back on the road to home and a couple more days of pain..todays cars makes those trip pleasant....it is unfortunate that one must be stuck with a bad knee..so I take the easy way out and stick with the less pedal pressure when and where I can....same as I prefer an automatic...because of this preference most call me a shiftless bastard.....but I am okay with that..the 54 is stock with the automatic and one of the prime considerations for buying it..though I do not have power brakes on this car, it was an option and the floor pan is factory ready for the booster install...common sense is a must when driving any car..driving ahead and watching the other guy is job one...though I know where I am, my speed, maintaing a safe distance between me and the bumper ahead..here is this area that is an invite for someone to jump in and hit the brakes to adjust for speed..and jump they will..if not for non locking discs and at times when towing, a hand on the aux electric brakes..I would probably not be here typing this..

The original question had to do with save or get rid of old brake parts. I would see if you can sell them or give them to someone that will use the them. The buyer of your car probably will not have the interest in down grading the brake system. If the parts are useable, try not to just put them in the trash can.

I cant understand this sore leg thing. I am now 82 and have taken trips in excess of 600 miles. Most of this done on my old cars in the last 30 years.

I just had a knee replacement last Nov. which was bothering me for the last two years. Even then it wasnt bothered from old car driving. Ive got 4 old mopars all 40s, and the brakes are REALLY good. Cant understand what you guys are doing with them. Could it be that a 5' 8" little 184 lb. spaggetti bender like me, has monster muscles in my right leg? Yes---they will NEVER be as easy to the touch as Disc brakes, but come on------ with correct adjustment they are fine. Frank M.

Yes trade or give away the original parts if you decide not to keep them. They aren't making this stuff anymore and drums do wear out eventually.

On a long trip my foot/leg will start to hurt too. Frank it could be something of a height thing. I'm 6'2". I recover pretty quick after arriving at the destination though.

I would trade/sell the spare parts. I work with a gentleman who is in his early 70's, he bought a brand new loaded Mustang GT a couple of years ago. Every one asked him, why would he buy a Sports car like that with an Automatic transmission? His response was that; I am nearly 70 years old, what if I blow out my knee and can't shift?

locked throttle will never be a cruise control..the sensing circuit of a cruise control relates a given speed in form of a generated voltage and will will lock and hold that voltage and by feedback circuits, adjust the trottle position open or close to maintain this exact voltage..as the load changes up or down hill so will the unit maintain this voltage even to the point of downshift into a lower gear to keep downhill speed increases in check...if the law was to ever say I had to maintain my old cars as manufactured..they'd be gone...I have mine for the body style..not the mechanics..I can do stock all day long...just not my preference..just remember when those that change their cars, the purist get spares...everybody wins..

When I wanna drive a old car---I wanna drive a REAL old car, not a Hybrid ! Ill take my chances with my "DRUMS OF DEATH" Ive found if they are adjusted correctly They can put you thru the wind shield.

Ditto!

However, as you have done the conversion the last thing you want to do is throw out the old parts. Drums in particular are getting hard to find as mentioned earlier.

I really chuckle when I read these discussions. I lean toward original wherever possible but recognize that it is a fight we are going to lose with the younger generation and wouldn't mind a few upgrades under the skin. Most of my kids friends wonder why I would drive a 50 Dodge sedan with a flathead and fluid drive rather than a 69 Road Runner or Charger with a 440 or Hemi. As I tour the backroads at 50 or 55 I just enjoy driving an original car that is not that common and that starts a discussion with people over 50 wherever I stop. Plus I don't have the kind of hobby money to sink into that muscle car. :mad:

why is it everyone thinks that a upgrade has to be a hemi or other high output engine..these are the last things I want in a car I intend to drive on the road..and as for the discussion...no one here has ever condemned a stock car...but yet the modified cars are always fair game to the purist...sites like the POC, AACA WPC and such are your avenues to that end and have the stated creed up front for aide to moderate the masses..if anyone here were to make like statements there against a purist car like the modifieds get hit here it would be a permanent ban...being their creed is posted it is respected by most folks that have modifieds who do visit these site..one would think a bit of the same respect would be found here and not a chance to shoot over a baited field so to speak...and yes I have attended AACA and POC events...I say you should at least see one in your lifetime..to me. that one visit was all that was needed

Edited by Tim Adams

Come on Tim. I read these posts too. Originals are always getting put down.

Trailer Queens. Old man cars stuff like that. I WOULDNT have a car I cant drive on the streets. I NEVER put chains around my cars!!. Whos kidding who. This forum has more modified than original and Ill bet on that. " I encourage people to touch and sit in my car" I would to if I could go to the nearest Grocery store,or NAPA and get another part for my Hybrid Frank M.

Frank..agree to disagree and I see your pet peeve of the trailer queen you have resurrected...and I remember well your arguement that you see nothing wrong with trialer queens in judging at a show among street driven daily drivers who by the way are sponsoring the show and not a concours event..these are very different and distinctive classes of automobiles and they cannot be equally grouped together fairly...it is basically the fact that your liberties here to voice an opinion are not equal on the POC, AACA and WPC that you are member of and you also know that to be a fact..again I say it is good that there are original representaions of the old cars out there, it is good to see some of these being used as dailys, it is better yet to see them brought up to a level of safety for highway use..especially if they are going to be in commuter traffic..so at least I can say that I have a respect for the purist, his car and their objectives though I wish not to be one or own one per se folr I do not go to their web site and naysay..I do not have respect however for those who try to force their pruist idealogy or so insistant on a trophy, any ole $5.00 trophy as to trailer to a local show with daily drivers just to get a bit of glitter..I have a few original cars but for the most part they just do not suit my purpose everytime and thus the changes I and others like myself make..I do not recall stating that anyone with an original car is old, outdated or out of touch with reality unless of course they threw the first stone and fruit should be called forward to judge...and this forum is as you stated more in line to what I and others do to our cars..modernize, personalize, upgrade, retrofit, make saftey related upgrades and on and on thus the ability to share and ask opinions..If I have a question as to originality and such, what did it look like from the factory..then yes..your three listed clubs are sourced by myself if I cannot find it in a book by researching..so basically, if you do not like the modified cars..why are you even reading the thread let alone replying negatively to them..guess that is what really blow me away here..what is good for the goose is not even applicable to the gander..

Come on Tim. I read these posts too. Originals are always getting put down.

Trailer Queens. Old man cars stuff like that. I WOULDNT have a car I cant drive on the streets. I NEVER put chains around my cars!!. Whos kidding who. This forum has more modified than original and Ill bet on that. " I encourage people to touch and sit in my car" I would to if I could go to the nearest Grocery store,or NAPA and get another part for my Hybrid Frank M.

My car is a "Hybrid" and I am proud of it for a couple of reasons. First off I did it all myself and I did it my way. Next is my car looks like a stocker with the exception of the chrome wheels and I do not have an original paint color.

I do have piece of mind that when on long trips (and I have made many) I can if required stop in the local parts store for many spare parts. I could not do this with a stocker. However I, as well as you with stockers, can at least buy replacement oil in most grocery stores to wash down the baloney.

I am verry happy to report that allowing people at shows to touch and sit in my hybrid car has not caused any parts to suddenly fail. It is too bad that some of you with stockers cannot do this (for fear of a brakedown) as it greatly enhances my enjoyment of the old car hobby.

As the old saying goes, to each his own.