License plate restoration

JerryinTx

One of our club members had his plate done by this place. Seems kind of pricy, but they did good work on his plate.

RESTORATION MOJO ARTWORKS LICENSE

PLATE

Bill McCoy has been in business since 1997.

Restoration Process: 1. Acid bath to remove

paint;

2. Glassbead to remove rust; 3. Metal work to

repair all dents, pits, and holes; 4. Prime using

2 coats of automotive primer; 5. Basecoat using

2 coats of automotive paint; 6. Hand Lettering

using high quality lettering enamel; Cost Per

Plate: $70.00

AUGUSTA, WV 26704; PH: 304-496-8936 EMAI:

mojo@mojoartworks.com

If you Fed-Ex or UPS your plate(s), send them

to:

Mojo Art Works, 50 Dogwood Drive, Augusta,

WV 26704; Allow 4 to 6 weeks for completion of

your plate(s) Call to check on your order

anytime (DEC09)

I did one a couple years ago for practice and then another since. I striped the plate and cleaned it up then primed it, put on 4 coats of letter color laquer rattle can stuff,

followed by the field color in two or three coats of field color enamel. then with a lint free cloth, dipped in enamal reducer removed the enamel from the raised letters, exposing the laquer below. The Laquer was out in the noonday sun for three days to make it good and hard before the enamel went on. I think it is easier than trying to paint the letters. If you screw up you just put on another coat of enamel and start over. And though the yellow is not correct, it came out fairly presentable.

acd11083.jpg

8bf059d3.jpg

664b25de.jpg

I suppose you would just wipe off for the line around the outside edge,

too.

I repainted the 1946 plate - did black first, then the numbers by hand. Not the best job....numbers are too

fat. Needs to be re-done sometime. Others are original.

IM003018__Mo_40_s_plates.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

I do my plates like BobT-47P15. I spray the background colour first and then do the letters, numbers, and lines by hand. You want to have a couple of size brushes, one for the larger areas and one for the more intricate. This method has worked well for me.

d25reardeck.jpg

...I painted mine using Greg's method.I did this plate a few years back.I found the method relatively easy to do.I used Tremclad (Rustoleum) rattle can paint.The color for the background is very close to original.Not suitable for a plate collector I suppose,but good enough for me. :)

post-423-1358535322184_thumb.jpg

I also repainted the historic plates that are on the car. They were new

back in 1973. When new they were a reflective off white material

with sort of dark blue numbers. Now, they're like the older versions

with white background/black numbers. Been this way for quite a while -

no one has ever commented about them, except to remark that the

plate must be old due to the numbers. I'm sure none of the law

enforcement types even know what color those plates were originally.

100_3835.jpg

Another question that occurs to me is......back in 47 the state only

used one license plate. Now we have two. So, I suppose if I went for

a Y O M plate, they could only require the one....on the rear. Have

never asked that question at the license bureau.

YOM plates whether allowing single or double according to now or then application depends solely on the state..in 41 Georgia is a dual plate but today I need but a single tag number...but if you are unlucky and buy a single someone else has already you be in the wind as they have the right to registeration..first come first serve..I did not take a chance and thus have a matched pair of 41 tags..as a triva point, 41 Georgia tag was the first Us tag with reflective paint..

this site is bit old..has a tad of info.

http://www.thebolthole.com/misc/yom.html

There are additional states since this site updated I understand..

Here's my unrestored 1947 Manitoba Tag, BTW, Ralph, what you be doing with a Manitoba plate, in Alberta......LOL

Hi Fred,My Dodge was bought new in Killarney,Manitoba in July,1948.I came across a 1948 Manitoba plate so I bought it...I also have a 1948 Alberta plate.;)

Hi Fred,My Dodge was bought new in Killarney,Manitoba in July,1948.I came across a 1948 Manitoba plate so I bought it...I also have a 1948 Alberta plate.;)

I kinda figured that, Killarney, my 47 Chrysler coupe parts car is from there, my Coupe was found near Amaranth Manitoba, just north of the Yellowhead Hwy.

I have never seen another 46 to 48 Chrysler Club Coupe on the road here in Manitoba, I have only seen a Windsor 4 door, a T&C ragtop, and a T&C Sedan, and 1 other Royal sedan, that is the only ones I know of on the road in this Province....Fred

Another question that occurs to me is......back in 47 the state only

used one license plate. Now we have two. So, I suppose if I went for

a Y O M plate, they could only require the one....on the rear. Have

never asked that question at the license bureau.

Bob, at the risk of the MO State Troopers or a local Barney Fife giving me some roadside counseling, I have just have one regular tag on the back of my four door. I've never been hassled. I doubt that a member of local law enforcement would give you too much grief if you went YOM w/ a single plate on the deck.

Most cops don't want to risk getting discredited in court so if you calmly but firmly explain to them that in 1947 Missouri only issued a single plate, and are not required to display a second. You can even try to sound like you really know what you are talking about and inform him that the State of Missouri only requires a single plate for any vehicle manufactured prior to 1965 regardless of registration. :)

Bob, however, since you are good guy. Any police officer that wants to hassle you will forget why he pulled you over in the first place once you finish dazzling him w/ your good nature, and showing him the ins and outs of an old MoPar.