OT Where is everybody from?

LuckyDevil

RM of St. Andrews, just 12 miles north of Winnipeg (pop 800000) Manitoba, Canada. We are located 200 miles north of Fargo ND, follow I 29 right to Winnipeg, then just outside of the city to St Andrews........

post-114-13585352585439_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585352585608_thumb.jpg

post-114-1358535258579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rockwood

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born and raised in Minn and Wisc, ( it was too cold ) , retired moved to the 'hill country' in Texas, ( they got too many people) , moved to SE Kansas, ( not enough anything here ! ) wish I was back in Texas !!!!!

That's one reason we're staying put where we are. It's too hot in the south, and cold in the north. There's always something wrong with the place you move to. No place is perfect. So........may as well stay put.;)

That's one reason we're staying put where we are. It's too hot in the south' date=' and cold in the north. There's always something wrong with the place you move to. No place is perfect. So........may as well stay put.;)[/quote']

I have lived in about 20 zip codes and I have no regrets. I have learned a lot about the different life styles from coast to coast and further. I almost feel sorry for the folks who have never left the homested as they have missed out on a big education. But to each there own. You are correct Norm as there is no place I have found that is perfect except possibly Hawaii but I was only there for 45 perfect days.

...also from southern Alberta,and not bragging about the weather today. ;)

south eastern PA, out side philadelphia,,where the rudest people in the world live,,,,cant wait to go some place else,,,

did half your original population move to Charlotte NC...these folks are the most rude and inconsiderate folks on the highway possible...I rather traverse Atlanta traffic two to one over Charlotte..now as far a regular hospitality..the state of Tennessee does not have a rest stop open along one of its major throughfares..at first I thought this was a money thing..turns out this last trip they almost have new ones to replace the older ones..but to shut all of them down at once..not a sound move in my book..

did half your original population move to Charlotte NC...these folks are the most rude and inconsiderate folks on the highway possible...I rather traverse Atlanta traffic two to one over Charlotte..now as far a regular hospitality..the state of Tennessee does not have a rest stop open along one of its major throughfares..at first I thought this was a money thing..turns out this last trip they almost have new ones to replace the older ones..but to shut all of them down at once..not a sound move in my book..

Tim,

Tennessee is not the only state that's shut down their rest area's. Several states have shut a lot of them down in the past few years. Noticed that when the wife and I take trips. Wisconsin has even done that. Those that are open, usually no longer have people working in them to give out directions, maps, etc. I know in Wisconsin it was done to save money, so that's probably the reason other states have done the same.

Look at it from the bright side. If people get off the freeways to make a pit stop, they'll end up spending more money on the local economy. So........in a way, it helps those small places just off the freeways.

TIM,,, yes as a matter of fact,,thats one of the places high on my list to relocate too,,,,people from the charlotte area are as nice usually as mid western people,,where i lived for 22 years,,,got tired of the wind and snow near chicago,,decided to move back to PA to see what i was missing,,,all i found that i was missing was BAD ATTITUDE and the RUDEST and lazyest people ive ever met,,,

when you tell N,CAROLIANS you want to move there,,and they find out your comming from the N,E, look out,,if your from N NEW JERSEY, or NEW YORK,,you will get an ear full,,,they say those people move there,, then want to bring all the public parks,side walks and curbs with them,,driving up taxes,,,and property values,,,

i wanna go there cause lower taxes,,,nicer people,,,no side walks,,ETC,,, and i need a change,,,

one good thing about S,E PA,, great car scene here,,

Why is it that when people move to the country, they still want to surround themselves with all the crap they moved to escape from????? Then they will move in across the road from a farm, and start complaining about the smell, and the noise and the equipment parked out front, and the early and late hours the farmer keeps, and start going to town or village council meetings to get the farmer to quite farming, sell the land to a developer to put in some tract houses and strip malls, Starbucks, and Panera bread places. They won't be happy till every town looks just like the one down the road, with all the Wal marts, Home Despots, Lowe's, and Ikeas all linged up just so. Then they will complain about the traffic and need to have the roads widened and straightened, so they don't drive in stop and go traffic in their BMW and Volvo crossovers.

My sister in law lives in the Hudson valley and the place is being over run with retired folks from the NYC metro area. Great for real estate values if you want to sell, but typically they will buy a place, tear down the house, barn and garage and put up one of those Mc Mansions, covered with faux character cladding, and then complain about how thier neighbor's house (who has lived there for the past 30/40 years) looks, because its dragging their property values down.

Edited by greg g

amen brother....so far this has not happened to our rural country scenic area..but somehow I do not think that will last...I think everyone whould be allowed to live their dream as long as it does not kill the dreams of others..for the record IF:

last in..unhappy...first out

they don't call it a grandfather clause for nothing..

Tim, start buying up some property in your area. When all the boomers, yuppies and Dinks in Hot lanta decide it time to retire, they will start looking for stuff out in the boonies. So at least this way when thay start complaining about the neighbors, in thei caase you, you can take some solice in knowing you over charged them for the property they bought from you........................

Not all people who retire want to live out in the sticks.;) Wife and I are those types. I'd rather stay put where I've lived since 73. It's not only cheaper because it's long paid for, but.....we have anything we want to do right here without driving more than 10 to 20 miles or less to get there.

To begin with, it doesn't make since to me, or my wife to buy a bigger house with the kids gone. Why pay for the extra heat, upkeep and not to mention it's more to keep clean in a larger house. I think it's better to downsize when you retire than go bigger. Gives you more time and money to do other things by keeping or buying the smaller house.;)

Florence Arizona...1/2 way from phoenix,,and Tuscon...about 4 miles from where tom mix died... 10 miles from where all the old cowboy movies were made.. left so.cal. 10 years ago.. couldn't stand all the people/ traffic any more.. now i'm in middle of nowhere....

..............bob......

Norm, you have to factor into the equation the folks that are moving up to the woods, are selling places for highly inflated prices in or near the city. So if you sell a house place for a million plus, or more, and move to where an expensive house used to be 150K, or you can buy a 50 to 60 acre farmstead for only 2 or 3 times that, you gotta do something with most of that money or Capital gains will kill you.

So they plow it back into their new digs, with lotsa bling inside and outside. Besides whats the sense of moving out of the city unless you can rub your affluence in the rubes faces. Down side is all the old handy men that used to charge 15 or 20 bucks an hour to fix your furnace or put up your gutters or repoint your chimney, are now charging the new country slickers 70 or 80 bucks an hour to install their granite counter tops and undersunk sinks and faux stone gas fireplaces.

They think they are getting a bargain and the locals can't afford to keep their property up or make improvements, cause they can't afford the new going rate. Plus all the home repair stores have gone way upscale and you can't buy a 40 buck kitchen faucet any more except by special order because they aren't stocked anymore.

Why is it that when people move to the country, they still want to surround themselves with all the crap they moved to escape from????? Then they will move in across the road from a farm, and start complaining about the smell, and the noise and the equipment parked out front, and the early and late hours the farmer keeps, and start going to town or village council meetings to get the farmer to quite farming, sell the land to a developer to put in some tract houses and strip malls, Starbucks, and Panera bread places. They won't be happy till every town looks just like the one down the road, with all the Wal marts, Home Despots, Lowe's, and Ikeas all linged up just so. Then they will complain about the traffic and need to have the roads widened and straightened, so they don't drive in stop and go traffic in their BMW and Volvo crossovers.

My sister in law lives in the Hudson valley and the place is being over run with retired folks from the NYC metro area. Great for real estate values if you want to sell, but typically they will buy a place, tear down the house, barn and garage and put up one of those Mc Mansions, covered with faux character cladding, and then complain about how thier neighbor's house (who has lived there for the past 30/40 years) looks, because its dragging their property values down.

As Tim Adams stated...amen brother....I like things here just the way they are right now. Someone said something in one of the other post about the advantage of living different places.....I live here on the same place were I was born and raised, and having lived a few other places, including the big town scene of Northern Va., there is no place I like better. Joel