Carter electric fuel pump

Doug&Deb

I seem to recall that some of you are using a Carter 6 volt electric fuel pump. Can someone please tell me which one? I’m currently using an Airtex E-8901 pump as an auxiliary pump and I think it may be causing some restriction issues. 

7 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

I seem to recall that some of you are using a Carter 6 volt electric fuel pump. Can someone please tell me which one? I’m currently using an Airtex E-8901 pump as an auxiliary pump and I think it may be causing some restriction issues. 

I've run the Carter P4259 6v rotary pump for the past four years and it has been flawless.

Here are the specs from the Carter website:

https://carterengineered.com/electric-fuel-pump-p4259

One source I found is Amazon (please excuse the long link), looks like Speedway and Summit Racing also have it.

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4259-Line-Electric-Fuel/dp/B000CIS4IU/ref=asc_df_B000CIS4IU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312454010291&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9870229423753049456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012692&hvtargid=pla-568638290350&psc=1&mcid=dc26961fd30a3fc2b585a1d550c924e2&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61179236814&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312454010291&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9870229423753049456&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012692&hvtargid=pla-568638290350&gclid=CjwKCAjw8diwBhAbEiwA7i_sJfAVg2MLX5clS4soqkFp44g4RQrvU99v7liFt0QOokgUYEUqfKTxnRoC1MUQAvD_BwE

I mounted the pump just forward of the fuel tank and used rubber isolation to reduce noise, I no longer notice it running except when first turning on the key to prime the carb.

fuel-pump-soft-mount.jpg.c1c0bbac7247b172847fac896de37dbd.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tired iron said:

Do you happen to know the psi output of this pump? Lots of pumps that say they are low pressure also post numbers of 5-9 psi which, in my experience, can sometimes overpower the float and needle valve.

I don't know the specific number but the carb on my '48 P15 is perfectly happy with the pump with no need for a regulator or return line.

The Carter pump is the full-time pump on my car, here is the mechanical pump:  😁

stripped-nut-4.jpg.dd6a9284dbd020bd1cd22cc4fc4b7e8a.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

One source I found is Amazon (please excuse the long link),

You can use tiny url to shorten those long links.  https://tinyurl.com/app

Your long link becomes https://tinyurl.com/3a7nu28w

3 hours ago, Tired iron said:

Do you happen to know the psi output of this pump?

I went an looked at the Carter link so see if they gae that specification.  They do not, but by god they et you know it's 139mm long.  Who cares, not like most of us (any of us?) know how long that is without converting.  Lol

I did fond the installation manual though https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/carter/p4259/installation-manual-english.html

No help there, FWIW.

Yes, have used tinyURL many times through the years, just didn't take the time to use the third party app this instance. I knew the long link would work in my reply even though it was messy. But the info about tinyURL might be helpful for those who are not aware of the app.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Even better, you can hide the link behind the text, so you link becomes what ever you want it to be :)

True, or perhaps even better I could have not even participated in this thread.........................which I thought was about an electric fuel pump............

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 1

Carter

| 

Carter P4259 6 Volt Electric Fuel Pumps

12 Reviews

| 

12 Questions

• The inlet and outlet ports are both 1/4" NPT
  • It is suitable for most RV, marine, agricultural, industrial and performance applications
  • The rotating vanes driven by a heavy-duty wet six volt motor that delivers 5-3/4 PSI max pressure and a flow rate up to 72 GPH

I have been wanting to do this since my car sits a lot and it takes a while to start for the first time. My logic also says it would be nice to have in case the mechanical pump fails. Is there any reason not to have this pump installed with the mechanical pump? Or is it better to just eliminate the mechanical pump and run the electric? I kind of like the option of having both just in case.

24 minutes ago, 38plymouth said:

I have been wanting to do this since my car sits a lot and it takes a while to start for the first time. My logic also says it would be nice to have in case the mechanical pump fails. Is there any reason not to have this pump installed with the mechanical pump? Or is it better to just eliminate the mechanical pump and run the electric? I kind of like the option of having both just in case.

@keithb7 has a great YouTube video on this.  His electric pump is on a hidden switch.  Faster starts, a backup if mechanical pump dies, and I think solves any vapor lock issues...it's on my list as well.

• Thanks 1

Doug&Deb - Thank you very much for this post ….. I’m very interested in this and very much value everyone for responding. 
  My lack of mechanical skills can only be exceeded by my complete non - existing computer abilities. 
  When I can read a post like this on this cell phone , simply touch the link that comes up in red print & it tells me where I can get this pump , and the icing on the cake - a few pictures of how & where the optimal place to install , that I can unashamedly copy is absolutely golden for me and how I have learned so much from this forum.  
  All responses much appreciated, I for one , do not mind how long the red print link is , ….. touch & go how much easier can it get !  👍

Thanks sniper and DJK for digging up info. And here's my two cents about electric pumps.  First off, I love 'em!  And here's why: When one of my vehicles has been sitting for a long time, I don't have to waste precious battery capacity cranking the motor to get fuel up to and in the carb.  I also put a electric switch in the supply line to the pump so that, in Autumn when I'm putting cars to sleep, I can turn off the switch and keep running the motor until it dies.  This does a good job of draining the carb, reducing varnish build-up.  Yes, I could use a gas additive (and I often do), but with lots of cars and equipment, and full gas tanks in each, that's lots of Stabil!

And, in regards to leaving the mechanical pump in the line, I've done that numerous times, but one thing to consider is this: if you do that and the rubber diaphram of the mechanical pump fails, you'll get raw gas going into your crankcase and diluting your oil... and not know it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tired iron said:

I don't have to waste precious battery capacity cranking the motor to get fuel up to and in the carb. 

Not an issue if you convert to 12v, lol.

Sorry

I am interested in following @keithb7's lead but with a 12 volt Carter pump. This came up on an Amazon search:

Carter Electrical Fuel Pump Automotive Replacement 12V (P4594)

but in the specs it says fuel type - diesel. Would it work with gas?

4 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

I am interested in following @keithb7's lead but with a 12 volt Carter pump. This came up on an Amazon search:

Carter Electrical Fuel Pump Automotive Replacement 12V (P4594)

but in the specs it says fuel type - diesel. Would it work with gas?

Best source of info is the manufacturer:

https://carterengineered.com/electric-fuel-pump-p4594

According to their specs......diesel or gas.

Unfortunately, the Amazon 1 star reviews slam the new Carters as "Chinese junk" (not the boats). Not sure I want to take a chance on them. Any better options out there? 

4 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

Unfortunately, the Amazon 1 star reviews slam the new Carters as "Chinese junk" (not the boats). Not sure I want to take a chance on them. Any better options out there? 

83% four and five star reviews. Who you gonna believe?  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Odds are most of those 1 star reviews problems are caused by the actual problem (the reviewer) not the pump.

27 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

83% four and five star reviews. Who you gonna believe? 

I like to note the date of the review, if I see a pattern of complaints after a certain time frame I think maybe there was a change by the manufacturer.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've had a lot of experience with Amazon and it's policies and I don't trust 4 and 5 star reviews at all. I go to the 1 and 2 star reviews because you know those folks don't get paid to write them.

Amazon Reviews: How We Spot the Fakes

Back to electric pumps- any suggestions for American made? Are there any? If buying NOS would there be a possible problem with order non-ethanol-loving rubber diaphragms, etc?

34 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I've had a lot of experience with Amazon and it's policies and I don't trust 4 and 5 star reviews at all. I go to the 1 and 2 star reviews because you know those folks don't get paid to write them.

Amazon Reviews: How We Spot the Fakes

Back to electric pumps- any suggestions for American made? Are there any? If buying NOS would there be a possible problem with order non-ethanol-loving rubber diaphragms, etc?

Ok. Here is the Summit Racing listing of electric fuel pumps (2000+ hits related to fuel pumps):

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=electric fuel pump

Most of the pumps have fewer than ten reviews except the......wait for it.......Carter pumps, the most common which have hundreds of reviews averaging at least 4.5 stars.

Here is the search return for just Carter pumps and related stuff:

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=carter electric fuel pump

If you want to look elsewhere you might check into Bosch, AC Delco, Airtex and Walbro but I have no personal experience with them. I've run Carter rotary pumps on two vehicles over the past 15 years with no failures. But the one on the Plymouth might die tomorrow.....

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

I think I’m a year with the electric 6V boost pump in Chrysler. No complaints.  It will push through vapor lock. I have done so with it. 

I do like it spliced into ignition switch (wire to fuel gage). Then I cannot leave it on when I park the car. I have left the heater blower and AM radio on by accident. They were wired to direct non-switched power sourced.  Dead battery the next morning. A sure way to ensure premature death of an otherwise good 6V battery. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:21 AM, Tired iron said:

Thanks sniper and DJK for digging up info. And here's my two cents about electric pumps.  First off, I love 'em!  And here's why: When one of my vehicles has been sitting for a long time, I don't have to waste precious battery capacity cranking the motor to get fuel up to and in the carb.  I also put a electric switch in the supply line to the pump so that, in Autumn when I'm putting cars to sleep, I can turn off the switch and keep running the motor until it dies.  This does a good job of draining the carb, reducing varnish build-up.  Yes, I could use a gas additive (and I often do), but with lots of cars and equipment, and full gas tanks in each, that's lots of Stabil!

And, in regards to leaving the mechanical pump in the line, I've done that numerous times, but one thing to consider is this: if you do that and the rubber diaphram of the mechanical pump fails, you'll get raw gas going into your crankcase and diluting your oil... and not know it!

I also shut the pump off to drain the carb to prevent hard hot starts.