New "truck"

Got a free half a truck this weekend. Guy is frame swapping to a modern chassis. This one has some interesting modifications that I've never seen before. Engine turns over so me and the kids are going to see if it'll run. First challenge is getting the broken plug out. I managed to get the other 5 out without breaking more but they were stuck!! Had to heat and break out a 1/2 drive long ratchet. 

So any tips on getting that out?

IMG_20240128_133032.jpg

IMG_20240128_132937.jpg

IMG_20240128_132926.jpg

IMG_20240128_133047.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Do you have a picture of how it's broken? You might have to remove the head to get that fixed...

I didn't take one as I'd already tarped over the engine. However it's just the threads left in the head. The rest is completely gone. 

Well, there are a few ways to get it out. First, you can probably try the heat/cold/oil and the extractor method:

If that does not work, the other methods would involve physically destroying the left-over plug and potentially getting metal shavings inside the cylinder. If it's dry, you might be able to clean those out with a vacuum/magnet, etc. As a last resort - the head comes off :)

Edited by Ivan_B

Screw extractor may work but you have to limit how far in they want to go.  I used to take a lot of broken pipe fittings out of hydraulic cylinders with a screw extractor by clamping a vise grip to the extractor to limit how far in it would go.  That may not work well with a plug snapped off in a recessed hole.  I've had moderate success with straight fluted extractors, better with the screw type.  either way, the remaining porcelain needs to come out first.

I heat the broken off threaded and lower shell part red hot with a oxy/acet torch.... then melt a little candle wax on it.

I remove them with a shortened easy out. They will come right out.

Try to keep the valves down.

2 things I can add that help me:

• When using heat my objective is to first heat the head around the hole and try to keep the heat off the remnant so the threaded hole in the head increases in diameter with the remnant staying as cool and close to normal size as possible. To me putting the heat on the remnant just increases its size quickly before the head warms up. In the video I believe his attempts focused the heat on the remnant which swells it in the hole at first.
  • As Dave72dt mentions I also like to shoulder a twist style extractor to limit the amount it can swell up the remnant so it locks. You can use   a nut or piece of pipe to put on the extractor prior to inserting the extractor in the remnant. The metal used in most sparkplugs is fairly soft and will deform easily in my experience.

Merle showed a oxy/acetylene  torch heating up the remnants of a spark plug being removed here a few years back.

Bamfords D24 Dodge.

Broken off plugs are common on flatheads as they rust thin in the sunken head wells.

I thought it was interesting they added the  coil springs as over loads ....

image.png.214bf4a89cf20a3f2753e23fb533f314.png

Disconnecting the springs from the spring perches ...... Just looks bad to me.

So I'm confused about what they were trying to do here.

Was this a hokey pokey fix to add coil springs and eliminate the original springs importance?

Or was it done on purpose to redistribute the weight and make it act more favorably?

Just saying, I looked at that and got no clue what they were trying to do here.

My guess was the shackle bushings wore out and this was their hokey fix. They did take the time to cut the hangers off the frame and bolt them back on ....

Just now, Ivan_B said:

Is there a shackle in the rear? Otherwise, this leaf spring will have no place to expand under load... Could be a cool DIY lowering, as well ?

Technically there is a shackle but it's not connected to anything!! They welded a pad on top of the spring pack to allow it to slide. But nothing would stop it from coming down on slamming back into the hanger on bumps. I'm guessing it was always loaded down with whatever loads they were hauling 

Yeah just one of those things you look at and say wow .... seems like it worked and ran a long time like that .... I doubt anyone here in this forum would build it like that.

Good luck with the plug, I only had one plug like that on a 1980's Toyota.

I had a bad head gasket and leaking coolant between middle cylinders.  The plug broke off and in the end I had to remove the head and drill it out.

Then used a helicoil for the over sized spark plug hole. ..... Worked fine for a few years afterwords ..... think it was carburetor issues I finally junked the car over.

I never did have a problem with the spark plug or helicoil again.

Poor factory design with no head bolts between the cylinders and the heads would warp.

The factory recall on it was to add a shim with the head gasket ...... I just added two head gaskets and problem was solved. .... they had to order the shim & 2 weeks out if lucky.

12 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

The plug broke off and in the end I had to remove the head and drill it out.

That should be the last option ever. Even if you need to remove the remains of the plug physically, I would first attempt to cut it up to the thread, from the inside, with a tiny saw blade. And then pry it out toward the center of the hole. I've removed some stuck bolts like this in the past. You drill it out, but at a smaller diameter, and then chisel away the old threads. If you are careful, the hole itself remains the same way it used to be :)

I'm curious about what's going on here.  Looks like the cut the eyelet off (or broke off) and they welded it to the spring?

image.png.e4f03704c12ba826cdaf45d767f216f2.png

The eyelet appears intact with the added piece welded on. The other side just has the eyelet riding on the bottom of the hanger which is even more sketchy because there isn't much contact patch. 

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

The eyelet appears intact with the added piece welded on. The other side just has the eyelet riding on the bottom of the hanger which is even more sketchy because there isn't much contact patch. 

LOL I didn't notice that extra piece.....DRIVE IT!  What could possibly go wrong?

25 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Well, he can technically bolt a recliner to the frame and take a chance... ?

5 gallon bucket and pictures or it never happened   :D

15 hours ago, Ivan_B said:

That should be the last option ever.

I have to say it was 35 years ago and do not remember everything I tried. .... I know it was the typical things.

I was getting ready to go on a 6 hour drive to my mothers funeral the next day.

I had the car all packed and ready to go, my wife was working til noon that day. So killing time I thought I would put a new set of plugs in the car.

So I spent a couple hours trying to extract it with no luck .... Running out of patience I pulled the head and worked on it all night. The wife was on standby and we would leave as soon as finished.

Was 8:00 AM when I pulled the car out of the garage and ready to go .... The funeral was at 10:00 AM and 6 hours away ..... I tried.

19 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Ok zuk??

adding coils to a leaf spring suspension.  it's a popular modification to 80s toyota trucks (rear leafs), using a coil that mounts around the spring rubber bumper.  it was invented by a gearing dude who goes by "Zuk".

Edited by wallytoo