vin number decode

1949 p17

A 49 doesn't have a true VIN it has a serial number. I believe all you can decode from it is what plant it was built in and an approximate production time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TodFitch said:

See my page at https://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

thank you.we looked up the vehicle number. we just need to know if it is early or late 1949. french lake auto is asking for early or late to find us a rear window.

My understanding is that an "early" 1949 car looks just like a 1946-48 car as the so called "early" cars were the 1948 model built into early 1949.......if its stock then a "late" or what I call a true 1949 should have the ribbed bumpers for example.....if its a P17 then it should be a true or late 1949 car.......andyd 

• Like 1

french lake auto didn't have a rear glass. we have been looking for 8 years. still looking. may have to use 1/4 inch plexiglass and a heatgun.

Someone could have a cottage industry making rear windows.  Maybe have to be acrylic.  I saw something where a glass company has a sand bed that they contour (per computer, I'm sure) to the required shape, and the hot, limp glass settles into the required shape.  But probably big bucks.   Somewhere in the process the glass has to be flash cooled, to set up the skin stress that makes the glass "tempered". 

Back to the 42 Imperial limousine with the curved glass windshield.  A prototype, I'm sure.  But how did Big Glass Co, custom bend glass for a car or two?  

A whole subject for internet searches.

• Like 1

I've seen old time glass guys find a close enough windshield (one with the right curve and larger than needed) and cut them down to size.

But those guys are almost all gone anymore.  Now days if it ain't in the computer they don't know what to do.

• Like 1

Being it is a fastback, it is a pretty rare body style.  Not many made, fewer left around. You are probably going to need to find a glass shop with a guy who can cut a section out of a modern piece and who can shape it to fit.  Do you have a custom car shop in your area that does chopped top cars?  If so they can probably steer you toward an expert who can do this type of specialized work.  Saw an episode of overhaulin or similar where a guy made a rear glass for a chopped top 50's car from a SAAB 96 windshield section.  That body stylewas 49 to 51/2  only.  Dodge had one also, but their rear glass was different.

• Like 1