Huh? Scratching My Head On This One

keithb7

Putting my engine back together. Same fan and pulley that I took off it. Same water pump. Generator too.  The generator pulley lines up with crank pulley. Yet my fan pulley belt groove sets about 1/4” out of of line. It sits closer to the engine block.  I don’t recall a spacer behind the pulley hub to move it forward 1/4”.  Weird. Nothing shown in the parts book. I could put some washers behind pulley for draw it toward rad 1/4”.  Scratching my head. Hmm. Wondering why?   What have I done? Lol. 

64B08DA1-FACC-4C6F-AA35-16098438AFFD.jpeg

Thanks Kevin.  I found some old photos I took before disassembly. Its reassembled the same as before. Generator on front side of bracket. I reassembled again here now. It’s more like 1/8” not 1/4”. I must not have noticed it before.  It’s not a big variance. I’ll keep an eye on it. 

Generator and crank pulley like up perfectly. 

I seem to recall the belt drive on the horizontal 6 Corvair engine. Holy moly it certainly has twists in it.  My deflection is pretty minute by comparison. 

F8D07DC6-C110-4B28-A74E-69F605C42DD1.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

There were factory spacers used to help line up the water pump pulley with the others. Four holes drilled for the bolts to go through. I have used them but can’t remember which car(s).   Not even sure if I have spares and even less sure where they might be. 

2 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

There were factory spacers used to help line up the water pump pulley with the others. Four holes drilled for the bolts to go through. I have used them but can’t remember which car(s).   Not even sure if I have spares and even less sure where they might be. 

Betchya you are right Robert. I figured someone here may have seen spacers on the back side of the pulley. I have never seen that. Perhaps I will make one.

Just now, Bryan said:

If you changed the water pump is there a chance it is different than the old?

Same water pump. Was new and I installed it Summer of 2020.

51 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Thanks Kevin.  I found some old photos I took before disassembly. Its reassembled the same as before. Generator on front side of bracket. I reassembled again here now. It’s more like 1/8” not 1/4”. I must not have noticed it before.  It’s not a big variance. I’ll keep an eye on it. 

Generator and crank pulley like up perfectly. 

I seem to recall the belt drive on the horizontal 6 Corvair engine. Holy moly it certainly has twists in it.  My deflection is pretty minute by comparison. 

F8D07DC6-C110-4B28-A74E-69F605C42DD1.jpeg

I look at this and it seems that the generator is not in alignment. May be an illusion but the fan on the generator is at an angle with the water pump pulley. Just my opinion.

The photo is making it appear that way. The generator is not on an angle. The gen pulley and fan turn true.  i was experimenting with odd camera angles to try and showcase the belt deflection. The photo makes the generator pulley look skewed I agree. In reality it is not.

48 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Just thought about it. Those exhaust manifold washers I took off were pretty thick. If you had some of those..

Seems like some washers behind the water pump pulley would be the answer.

FWIW, I misplaced the large washers used on the exhaust manifold and ended up making some from some appropriate sized bar stock from the local big box building supply. Turns out I found the original washers later. But a drill press, a metal cutting hole saw, and some readily available steel stock is all you need to make a range of hard to find washers. If you are a bit more skilled than I you could probably do it with a plain old electric drill.

This is the correct spacer 20211219_203002_compress8.jpg.bee7683eb3733389b8170bf656ff471c.jpgitem and what to use to space out the fan and pulley.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

This is the correct spacer 20211219_203002_compress8.jpg.bee7683eb3733389b8170bf656ff471c.jpgitem and what to use to space out the fan and pulley.

Aha!  Thank you. Love this place. So much great info. 

The spacer is .186" thick.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spell check