Fuel pump problem.

jgreg53

48 plymouth not starting. Took fuel line loose from carb. Turned engine over, no fuel coming out.  Pump has gas in the bowl. I've rebuilt this pump once. Removed pump and compared it to an old one i had lying around.  The round brass mesh peice is gone.  Did it disenegrate? What's its purpose any way. I plan to rebuild it again.

Look up at the pump arm fulcrum pin. Did it walk out? They tend to.  The brass screen keeps larger rust scale or other crap in your fuel tank from going any farther than the bowl. It settles as sediment, in the "sediment bowl". 

If the 48 Ply has not been started in quite a while, it can take a fair amount of time to prime the fuel system. Which is why I installed a back up 6V electric pump. Hit it for a few seconds before I flash up the engine. Fires up quickly every time. Then I leave it off, using the old mechanical pump while I drive around.

Leave the fuel line disconnected from the carb and the end of it in a container. Remove the gas tank cap and push an air nozzle into the fuel filler and stuff a rag around it while you apple a few psi to the tank. This should push gas through the pump and prime the system. Hook everything back up and start the car.

If no gas comes out of the fuel line at the carb while applying pressure to the tank, there is a blockage that must be addressed.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jgreg53 said:

I had just put new bushings in the carb throttle shaft and she hasen't been right since.

Where did you get the bushings from? Mine suck air something fierce and I need to fix it.

Joe Lee

I believe one can check these valves for integrity and ability to control direction of flow...I can see where they can accumulate debris/trash and cause by-passing and thus no compressed/pressure fuel...if the diaphragm is good, these are suspect number two and do ensure the inlet screen and passage is also free from accumulated foreign matter....many times the components, tubes and lines, fitting are not tight or suffer from a pin hole that will suck air and not fuel...this is often check by short line of good quality tightly fitted and feeding out of a clean bucket of fuel close to the pump itself.

1 hour ago, jgreg53 said:

Check valves are just a spring, a seal and the stem. Springs aren't broken.

Sometimes they just don't seal reliably (weak spring...worn seat?) and pressure/suction if present may be reduced or intermittent.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

So i put the pump in the vice. Did a pressure check. Shows the pump works. I put a hose on suction side ing stuck it in the gas can. Put a hose on the other side and rsn it to a container. I worked the arm and it performed right.  I got half a beer bottle full of gas with 3 pumps of the arm.  Put the pump back on and tried to start.  Got some gas in the filter this time. Now starter is dragging after trying a few times to start.  The car is on a slight incline with the front higher. I have quarter tank gas.  Maybe i'll try turning it around pointing down hill.

ok so you have verified that the new FP works with  a separate can of gas feeding the pump via the vacuum from the arm movement and gas comes out the other end.

As you stated the car was sitting on a hill with the tank end on the downward of the engine.  Ok so you want to turn the car around but it will not starts.  Go get more gas 5 gallons and put it inthe tank. Sounds as if the tank was so low that it is not getting gas to the line or can you jack up the rear end and put jack stands under the rear to at least level the car or push the car to a level spot an retest. just be careful if the car is up inthe air.

Rich

desoto1939@aol.com

take it to a good alternator starter repair shop. Have them put  it on a growler and also to see if the mica needs to be cut down.  Or just replace the brushes yourself and see if that helps.

Could also just be the bearing are trashed and need to be replaced.

So are you now saying that since the starter is not up to full usage you think the issue with the gas is the starter motor?  Or did you solve the issue with the fuel pump?

Rich Hartung