PT81PlymouthPickup

1939 - 47 Mopar Job Rated 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck Wheels

Greetings!

Anyone know if there are any 16 inch wheels (either new or used) that would go on these trucks and are a bit wider to accept modern radials? I'm also hoping that I could use the original hub caps and trim rings. I think bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5.  Also it's difficult to measure the offset and backspacing without removing the tires. Anyone have this info? I'm hoping to install a set of Michelins 215/85/R16. Anyone drive one of these trucks with radial tires?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Steve Lowe

20160813_155421.jpg.8bed2423812506a53086b27ad674fe76.jpg

wheel_dimensions.jpg.d60c6c1c2b310f92f58eed448a63bf29.jpg

I drove my 46 Dodge pickup everyday, and hauled my kid and his racing go kart all over NY and Pa for a couples years with 15 inch Diplomat cop car wheels and 235/75/15 radial tires with no problem. Musta' put 20/30 thousand miles on it. Only upgrade was 12 volts and a more modern late 60's 8 3/4 rear end with flanged axles from a Chrysler B body car. Stock steering, brakes, suspension, etc. Stock 4 sp tranny, but with the 3.55 rear end ratio, keeping up with traffic, even at highway speeds was no problem. Had no speedometer, but I passed as many cars as passed me, so I'm sure I was cruisin'  along at about 65. Also had 70's Chrysler ralley wheels on it too. I think they and the cop wheels where 61/2 inches wide.

As always......your results may vary.

Although they say you need wider rims I've got those same tires on my stock 4.5 wide rims. Been on there about 12 years and 5-6K miles

That's interesting Ed!  I have been told that my rims are too narrow and also because the rims are riveted to the center part of the wheels they probably would not hold air without tubes?  Are you using tubes? Did you find your vehicle drove much better after installing?

2 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

That's interesting Ed!  I have been told that my rims are too narrow and also because the rims are riveted to the center part of the wheels they probably would not hold air without tubes?  Are you using tubes? Did you find your vehicle drove much better after installing?

No tubes. Can't say how it compares because I've only driven it with these tires.

We have used radial tires on our 47's original  wheels with good success .

Another option is the 15 x5 1/2 wheel used on Chrysler and Desoto '48  to 54.  The hub caps fit if the wheel has the 5 clips to hold the cap.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:06 AM, dpollo said:

We have used radial tires on our 47's original  wheels with good success .

Another option is the 15 x5 1/2 wheel used on Chrysler and Desoto '48  to 54.  The hub caps fit if the wheel has the 5 clips to hold the cap.

Yes, the clips are the issue for me. I really want to put some wider rubber especially on the rear of my truck to fill some of that excessive space and give it a bit more eye appeal. At the same time, I would also love to keep my original Plymouth hubcaps. I guess it's just wishful thinking? I'm wondering if Mopar made any wider 16" wheels that have the clips? There are some lug centric aftermarket wheels that would work but can't use the oem hubcaps. I also have always preferred hub centric wheels. I need to make a decision soon. Although my bias ply tires still hold air, they are 25 years old and have many small cracks appearing.

I've got one wheel of unknown origin that has the factory clips and it stamped 15x6. I do wonder if later trucks came with wider 16s?

Any specialty wheel manufacturers companies in your area?  A company by the name- Detroit Speed or Wheel? has done this in the past maybe even all new as someone on this forum said they sell hubcap cllps as repo's I believe?  Anyone still on the forum with info?

Some So. Calif. companies and others used to mount your stock wheels in a lathe and cut off the original welds and take just the center portions and install them on wider wheel hoops and reinstall/weld them back in wider Hoops.

What sizes are available?  You will need to do some checking around for that info.

Should be able to be be done if what you desire is available.

Good luck, not the cheapest  way to get it done but if you really Need them!  😎

Happy Hunting,

DJ

Edited by DJ194950