Why did you buy your Pilot house/So how did you get started with the old Dodge trucks?

My Uncle had 2 '51 PH on his farm. Sold one to my dad when I was 12. Helped work on it and when I was 15 did a complete Engine rebuild (course dad was there to guide me). He died in '77 and it sat next to the garage until '95 when I put it in the garage and rebuilt from the ground up. Rebuilt the engine the 2nd time when I was 45. Wanted a truck at the time and the other-half told me to rebuild it. I didn't restore only for the truck and it's age, but for that time I spent with dad working on her when he was alive. While rebuilding her I could sense my dad looking over my shoulder watching what and how I did things. I know some may think its strange but haven't felt that close to my dad since he died. I sold her because I was on the road most of the time and didn't want her to start going back to a bad shape again as I did not have garage where I live now.

I got my first PH in 88. I wanted a Dodge truck to use for light hauling around the house. The first plan was to built a hot rod but after I got the truck home someone removed the door tag and I didn't know about the blank replacements then. I picked up a parts truck in PA that was in better shape than the first one and now I have the parts truck as my driver. I have since picked up another 1 ton for parts and in the future that may be the hot rod.

Truth be told, this forum was a major reason.

I am still in my 30s and a tinkerer at best. In high school and college I was able to keep a 67 Mustang in good condition. Getting married, having kids, the joys of home ownership led me to realize that I needed a truck for all the things we use trucks for. Was not set on a Dodge. Sold the Mustang and found a 57 D100. I liked it because it looked like a mongrel and had never seen one before.

It was in decent shape but needed work. Free storage was a plus but the neighborhood it was housed in was not so great and I ended up unable to do the work to get it running. I also had problems with some parts and resources. All searches on "Dodge Truck" led me back here and I got the bug for a Pilot House.

After about a year searching, I found a B2C in good running condition a couple miles from my house. It happened to belong to the fiancee of someone I had gotten a job for in the past ... not that that helped the negotiation process.

In the end, I paid too much for it but have a decent runner and an extra set of doors and fenders that need paint and hanging. They are near perfect. I just need time to get them on.

I am still undecided on hunting for a bed. The homemade stake bed (previous owner creation) is unique and people get a kick out of it.

This brings me back to the start of this post. I lurked around for a while as I was looking for my truck. During that time I became very impressed at this community.

When people ask about parts or why I got a 1950 Dodge, I tell them that I always wanted an old truck and there are a bunch of rabid guys on the interweb who are ready, willing, and able to help out with any issues on these old trucks.

I got my 52 Dodge B3B from my son in law’s father, who had kind of lost interest in it, about 4 years ago. It had been restored sometime in the mid 70’s but had sat outside for some time before I got it. I have replaced the bake lines, radiator, the seat and headliner, and put a new wood floor in the box. It starts and runs very good.

I enjoy working on it and I plan to keep it as original as possible. I have restored several old farm tractors so I kind of know what it takes to keep something 50 years old up and running. My wife likes the truck also since she can now ride with me, which was kind of difficult on a tractor.

Last weekend I got it going for the summer. Since I live in MN it gets to rest all winter.

Born and raised in Texas, I've always wanted a traditional open bed truck. I learned to drive in a 50's Dodge from my 15 year older brother, so when I decided pursue a bed truck, Dodge was on the top of my list. I came across an old beat-up but running B3B Fluid Drive, delux cab, low bed on Craigslist. It was reasonaby priced and it fit my mechanical skills. It ran hot, the brakes needed overhauling and it just had real character, so I bought it with the blessing of my wife as a B-day gift to myself - B3B #1. I found the Forum immediately in November 2005 (the older format) and by the next summer I had enough confidence to take on my first project since high school in the late 50's/60's. I'm not retired so progress was slow, and by 2007 I missed having a driver, so I found a B3B #2 low bed on e-Bay in great shape. I drove all weekend to Knoxville Tennessee and trailered it back. #2 has been a blast to drive and putt around the neighborhood and it took the pressure off completing my frame-off project in a couple of years. In 2008 I found a B3C #3 abandoned project with a hemi. I passed on it but when the seller sold the hemi he called me back and made a sweet offer to get the truck out of his back yard. So I ended up with a good body parts truck. Today I am 80% complete with body on B3B #1 and will be painting this summer. Frame and engine are 100%. The Forum has been instrumental in working through my renovate issues. I have to admit many mechanical discussions are still over my head, but I have a good time trying to follow along. I hop on the Forum several times a day and enjoy contributing on subjects I have experienced.

Well that is what my wife called it the first time she saw it. Does look like a boat pilot house on the tugs from the Ohio River where we use to live. I've always piddled with old stuff since I was a youngun. The one I was working on when we moved to Tn. I gave to my step son, a 51 furd, he now has a 351 all slated to go in.

I have a detached garage here at the new den and it was too empty, so I had never owned a dodge pickup and made a deal from ebay to go into Va. to pick it up. I wanted a 48 as I was born in 48 and that is what the title says but it is not what the truck says as I found out from stopping in here to gather some wool. Tag on door post says B2B but serial no. does not match frame # so some one may have replaced the tag or whatever. Old man who had it says he bought it years ago and title verifies that from late 60's. So it is mine now regardless and I can always make a new tag. Bought a trashed panel truck that had new brakes, new king pins, new motor and rebuilt tranny and master cyclinder. Just pulled off the body and prepin it now to put pickup truck on the better frame. Motor was already set up to fit (251) with radiator moved and last guy have switched to 12volt so now it is time to clean'er all up put on some fresh paint and reassemble doing body work as I go.

I am close to retirement and this should keep me busy for a while but I am looking for a car to go with it for later.

Lee

My '51 Pilot-house was a present to myself for graduating college. I've always liked the looks of the older trucks. Such simple and purpose built vehicles that were made to last the test of time. Classic designs that are admired by people of all ages, from the older, to the small kids. EVERYONE loves old trucks!

While driving out in the country to visit my grandparents, I happened to drive by this old farm house with this beautiful looking black truck sitting out front. I got to thinking about this truck for a day and I couldn't get it off my mind. I've always wanted an old truck to just tinker and have fun with. So the next day, I made a trip back out to that house. Stopped by to see exactly what the truck was and how much they were asking. To my surprise, it was a Dodge! Prior to that point, I had never seen a classic Dodge truck like that, only Chevrolet and Ford (maybe a few Internationals). Why standing there looking the truck over, an older gentleman came out of the front door to talk. Turns out, he was selling it because he was getting too old to keep it around. None of his children were interested in the truck and he wanted to sell it to someone who has a passion for them (as we all do). We talked for a few hours and lo and behold I ended taking it home with me. Price wise, let's just say I think I did alright...;)

That was 3 years ago and I'm still as excited about that truck as I was the day I purchased it...

I don't own a pilot house but I do have some fun memories of one Dad had when I was little. It was blue with black fenders. I remember playing around taking random stuff apart on the parts truck he had for it. Now I look at the parts truck and think what a shame we didn't save much more of it. This truck and a 55 international he had back then and then later his 40 plymouth pickup are all what lead to my interest in trucks and the hunt for one when I was going to get an old truck. The first one we looked at was a IHC KB that the guy wouldnt come down on his price. The second one was my 46 dodge pickup. It will be 10 years this July.

I bought my first Pilot House in 1979 shortly after escaping the rat race of the S.F.Bay area and moving to the country. I had always admired these trucks because they reminded me of a tough bull dog.

My first memories of these trucks was back in the late 50's when I use to watch our grammar school maintenance man drive a yellow 1 ton dually pick up around the school grounds taking care of business.

In high school my girlfriends best friend came over one day in her parents green 1/2 ton. She let me drive it around a little bit and I was hooked. She used that little 1/2 ton to haul a horse and trailer to local horse shows back then ( mid 60's)

Here's a couple photos of my first Pilot House. I paid $750 and drove it home. Later I traded it for a 40 Pontiac ( big Mistake )

MyfirstPilothousein79.jpg

MyfirstPilothouse1979.jpg

I bought my first Pilot House in 1979 shortly after escaping the rat race of the S.F.Bay area and moving to the country. I had always admired these trucks because they reminded me of a tough bull dog.

My first memories of these trucks was back in the late 50's when I use to watch our grammar school maintenance man drive a yellow 1 ton dually pick up around the school grounds taking care of business.

In high school my girlfriends best friend came over one day in her parents green 1/2 ton. She let me drive it around a little bit and I was hooked. She used that little 1/2 ton to haul a horse and trailer to local horse shows back then ( mid 60's)

Here's a couple photos of my first Pilot House. I paid $750 and drove it home. Later I traded it for a 40 Pontiac ( big Mistake )

You look like a long haired hippy:D

Well since 2 years ago I have now owned 3 1951,s and 1... 53 Pilot house here is a pic of the first one that I bought for 1200.00 then sold it for 1500.00 to buy the second one for 2.200 and the last 2 where parted out . I have always liked these trucks cause they stand out from the rest.... and Iam a mopar nut

1951fargo004.jpg this is the one I drive now ( BEFORE)

1951fargo.jpg

(AFTER)

006.jpg

parts trucks

SDC10334.jpg

SDC10332.jpg

Way cool pictures, very cool hair and haircut! Nice blue dodge too.

Your right about my past Merle...It included a gray pilothouse Dodge that was owned by my grandfather. That truck was his ride and I'll always remember grandpa and the truck. Me and my brother Mike used to love riding in the back especially when Grandma was on board. I know he's not here anymore but when I look at these trucks I get a warm feeling inside. The search for the right truck has become somewhat of an obsession I'm afraid..its probably a bit pathologic but what the hey..I don't give a crap...I want my Dodge truck! Grandpa became a peddler of fruit and vegetables which he sold off of his 36 or 37 dodge dually. I have pics of both trucks.

I really appreciate all of you guys helping me out with my quest to relive a precious part of my past. These are the coolest, most beautiful, as well as masculine trucks ever built. I don't care if it has compound low, double clutch or not..its all good.

• 1 month later...

What's Chuck Norris doing in your truck Reg?:D

My grandfather bought the 1948 B1B in 1952 from one of the local car dealers for use on the farm. They hauled hogs and wheat with it and it was used more for fencing later in life. My dad parked it along one of our pastures in the 70's and I remember firing it up a couple times as a young boy in the 80's.

During one of our long cold South Dakota winter's in 2007 I decided to pull it into the shop and make it my project truck. I enjoy every minute I get working on it. It's even more special since it has been in the family for so long...

• Like 1

Hey you're in Aberdeen? My new bride is from there and we travel there a few times a year. We attended hot summer nights last august but won't be able to make it this summer due to another wedding we have to attend.

I used to have a panel shop (body shop) and one day got hooked on restoring vintage cars so, rather then doing crash work I concentrated on anything old. But then life changed, I went from panel beating to working with street kids, ended up running a boys home for a while and became a foster parent. At the same time I went back to college and became a Counsellor and started working for Government welfare agencies as an intensive support worker.

Besides working in that industry, I also bought an old Motel and together with my 2 sons and wife set up a Cafe and Function centre. I think it may have been a little to much because everything changed when in 2007 I got a double stroke.

It flattened me and had to learn to walk again, my speech and thinking was all over the place. It totally stopped me working in a stressful environment such as working with abused kids. I became depressed as I got written off; I even got a pensioner card! I AM 56! Well, luckily we only had one foster child left and today he turned 18 and soon is going to leave us. I still have the Motel but closed down the Cafe and Function centre.

As part of my healing / therapy someone suggested a vintage car restoration project and voila, here I am... I am loving it!:)

Doing physical work and organising parts gave me a renewed interest in life and a purpose to carry on. The picks are from the truck arriving and the total strip I am doing..

post-6484-13585355128904_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585355129672_thumb.jpg

post-6484-135853551307_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585355131352_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585355132372_thumb.jpg

What's Chuck Norris doing in your truck Reg?:D

It's funny that you should mention that Frankie. Back in the mid 80's a 10 or 11 year old boy approached me at the local fairgrounds and asked me if I was Chuck Norris.

I'm afraid now if I ran into that same young man he would ask ,"Hey,aren't you Wilford Brimley" :o

PS....Dontknowitall, Very inspirational story. Hang in there Mate ! Love that UTE.

Edited by Reg Evans

We had just about every old truck there was at one time or another when I was a kid, and I liked em all. I decided a while back to try and get a pickup of every brand from the 1940's. I started with a 46 Ford. I was able to get a 37 Plymouth (near enough to the 40's). I figured Chevy could be last, as there are still plenty of them. I watched e-bay and this 49 Dodge came up at Coffeville, Ks. and it must have been one of those weeks everyone was gone, as I think I was the only bidder/got it fairly cheap, so, in a short time I had a Dodge. I had a Studebaker Champ, but dealt it off, as it was not really the Studebaker I wanted. I have found and am working on buying a 42 that an old man here thinks is a family member. I snagged a decent 46 International last summer. Still lurking in the back of mind are a Hudson, a Federal, and a Jeep pickup, even if it's later. I also like the Oldsmobile front sheet metal on the late 40's Chevy pickups that was in Classic Trucks magizine a few years back, and I have been told that Nash car sheet metal makes a fairly easy fit to a Chevy also, so no telling what I might end up with, if time holds out.

Regarding the PilotHouse, I was in the mind of a mild street rod type thing, with a 318. After getting into the truck a bit, the engine had great compression, and everything worked so well I decided to keep it stock, and mostly original, with a few minor exceptions, such as moving the battery box, deleting the wing vents, a custom interior, and using a different grille setup.

Joel

post-2269-13585355133726_thumb.jpg

Hey you're in Aberdeen? My new bride is from there and we travel there a few times a year. We attended hot summer nights last august but won't be able to make it this summer due to another wedding we have to attend.

Well if she is from Aberdeen, you definitely got a good one! I was born and raised here and after some moving around after college, luckily ended up back here. Hope you enjoyed hot summer nights. It is a good time and lots of nice cars and trucks. Too bad you can't make it this year...

Ya one of her cousins will be getting married here in the twin cities that weekend. So instead her parents are coming here for that and we'll go to the great MN state fair. We did drive the 48 there last summer for the show. It was a good one. I'll look you up the next time we come to visit.

I got my PH off of craigslist, it was listed for $600, and I traded a `69 C10 chevy for it. I originally was gonna pull the 230 to build to replace the one in my Power Wagon, but the more I looked at it, and sat in the seat, the fonder I got. After I got her running, and heard a flattie that flat embarassed the wheazy 230 in my PW, I was sold. And then my girlfriend saw it. Now I get to fix up a PH, and am in the market for a `39-`47 dodge truck :rolleyes: Best thing is, she wants the `51 for a daily driver:cool: