1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I like Plymouthy:'s suggestion to show the pattern in the floor. All cleaned up and painted an it will look great.

Suburbanrearsectionfloor_zpsd768f0dc.jpg

To make the pattern for the floor boards I needed to confirm that the bucket seats in my parked 87 T-Bird will work and they fit very nicely. I can use the outside mounting bolts for each seat. There will be a bit of space between the buckets. Both of them are solid seats so upholstered will work great. I will need to put a better head on mum's sewing machine so I can sew seat covers.  

SuburbanampT-Birdbucketseat005_zpsade380

SuburbanampT-Birdbucketseat004_zpse9f37e

Edited by pflaming

Paul,

you do have a big project ahead and while it can be a good thing to look at everything and plan, do not think that you're going to have the final solution to all repairs needed from the start. Start somewhere and just concentrate for now on that. ;)

You'll be supprised how answers to other things will show up from all types of sources, just trust.

Lots of help here  in this one source. :)

Call me any afternoon with sheetmetal questions if you like.

Doug

All the side panel patterns, door patterns, and kick panel patterns are done.  A forum member's tip to fine tune the first cut by adding 2" masking tape for the final 'line' saves a bundle of time and work. 

I will probably make the final panels out of thin wall masonite, then 'COVER' that. 

SuburbanDoorandKickpanels001_zpsd6d0e26b

SuburbanDoorandKickpanels003_zps83d5964c

SuburbanDoorandKickpanels_zps7b2fa514.jp

Paul,

try dropping by auto/boat upholstery shop and having a talk with the owner. For about the same price as masonite (less? reasonable though.) my friend was able to buy some board made for the job. Waterproof?/resistant? These cars always leak by the doors. The factory put drain hole in the bottoms for a reason! Cover the steel panels with heavy plastic first, glued down but with a removalable type sealer. You may need to work on the innerds again.

Progress. ;)

Doug

I paid $350 for these bumpers and he threw in the rest of the car. My only current expense on this build is for sanding discs. A bit of work has gone into it, but then the reservoirs in California are empty so fishing is out of the question anyway. So . . . I do what I can to keep busy and I learn something as a result.

These bumpers really need to chromed.But I'm going to use the cloric acid and tin foil method first and then re-evaluate. 

SuburbanBumpersasfound001_zps957de640.jp

SuburbanBumpersasfound002_zps511d1f59.jp

Suburbaninthealley001_zps939ee10a.jpg

Edited by pflaming

To pull the steering wheel on my truck I made this contraption and hung it on the wall as 'shop art'.. Guess what, it came in handy this morning. Got to know and remember that there are line up spaces on the shaft and in the spine of the wheel. Put the wheels straight then install the steering wheel. 

Sometimes I think that I'm posting to myself, but I see the view number rising so I guess someone is curious, interested, or wondering when the old man will give up! 

Well I figure, as long as this thread isn't political, religious, or profane it's legit. :)

SuburbanSteeringwheelpull_zps39a1c51f.jp

Edited by pflaming

I've been following,  Actually been waiting for it to show up in primer because I know it's going to look a whole lot better in one color.  If you need encouragement, I'll say this, you're working a lot harder and getting more done faster than most anyone else on the forum, including me.  No one here has said to stop working on it and you're wasting your time, so keep at it and keep posting.

I'm not in the least discouraged on this project but I must attend to some details on the truck before I head for Carmel and Big Sur. 

I have needed some simple means to move a car. This chain and pipe setup works very nice for very shot pulls. With this set up one can pull the car and also push it, like into the garage. Got the pipe given to me and had the chain. So I'm set.

Will be back in a week. Thanks for the kind responses. I found two key trim pieces today so that is progressing as well.

NEWSFLASH! I just confirmed murfman's offer on the trim. I AM STOKED, GOT TO WORK HARDER AND SMARTER!  I have the two rock guards, I just found the two quarter panel trims that go above the wheels (got to confirm the lengths), so ail I need now are the two belt line door trims and the top of the quarter panel 'fins'.   "Happy days are here again, the sky's are clear and blue again . . . " and I'm a REP!!!!!!!!!!

SuburbanTowingPipeampChain001_zpsba2b6aa

To trail the suburban it needed a steering wheel and a seat, that accomplished, this evening it goes to the front garage for a rest.

SuburbanTowingPipeampChain002_zps40cf513

Edited by pflaming

I have a complete set (2 Doors, 2 Quarter panels, and the tailgate)  of the belt mouldings (the ones just under the windows) for your wagon if you are interested.  2 of them have small dings on them and they could use a good polishing.  They are off a 54 from Nevada.  100.00 shipped to your front door.  Murf

Perfect hole fillers, kind of spendy though, you can beat this price elsewhere...http://www.jpcycles.com/product/970-666

Have fun with it, if you are building a surf wagon, you can go tacky as a Tijuana taxi and it will still look right.

At 8.09 club price for only two nuts and bolts...it would break the bank to do the body in these...ouf course if PP paints it black and puts a ugly front grill in..it could pass for a Rottweiler

Weld the holes up using a piece of copper backer bar. Easy and fast.

" Note the trim just below the window line, the across the belt line, and then on the rocker panels.  Now if I cannot find those trim pieces, then I have over 80 holes to fill."   I posted that on Sept 16, just five (5) days ago. Today I only lack the two pieces that go on the belt line of the doors and the two small fins that go just above the tail lights. That, my friends, is the power and value of this forum. Parts I will need to finish I can get at my local parts house, so now its just a matter of time, 'skills to be learned', and the energy to do it all. So if the local drug store does not run out of Advil and Ben Gay, it;s looking to be a doable project. 

Ed, the trim on the belt line are the same as a two door coupe, but the quarter panel pieces, the piece across the top of the 'tail' gate, and the two 'fins' on the rear fender I believe are unique to the suburban. The rear seats are suburban only, other wise the chassis could be from about any model. I think the only exception on the frame is the convertible frame with it's X in the middle.

I have a 53 doghouse on a 54 body so that is unique to my car. I would prefer the '54 but will use what I have. It's in good shape and is only a cosmetic item. Few will know the difference. Plymouthy will but I like the "50  dilla tooth grille.  ;)

Ed, the trim on the belt line are the same as a two door coupe, but the quarter panel pieces, the piece across the top of the 'tail' gate, and the two 'fins' on the rear fender I believe are unique to the suburban. The rear seats are suburban only, other wise the chassis could be from about any model. I think the only exception on the frame is the convertible frame with it's X in the middle.

I have a 53 doghouse on a 54 body so that is unique to my car. I would prefer the '54 but will use what I have. It's in good shape and is only a cosmetic item. Few will know the difference. Plymouthy will but I like the "50  dilla tooth grille.  ;)

Paul the yard by me had I think a couple 53-54s I think even 1 hardtop. I'm planning another trip in a week or two. Stay in touch. They also have 2 53-54 dodge wagons that might yield you a proper back seat but that's beyond my area for shipping something that huge and crushable.

Edit: and why not at least keep an eye out for the proper front clip? I think the car will retain more value with all its proper parts.

Edited by Young Ed

Ed..there is a very good chance the rar spears on the belt line of the dodge wagons may work...PP can use 4 door rear trim if he trims its at the front proper...the only difference between the coupe and the 4 door is 1/4 inch..you will never see that.  So if you make it back to the yard..would be a simple look see to compare the wagon belt trim to that of a sedan..if the profile is right then the trim is useable...also take a close look....earlier wagon did not have trim across the top of the gate...not sure of the 53/54..very little hands experience here...I do not recall the beltline going around the corner of the wagon body thus there is no continuance of the trim..

Tim, thank you for the rear spear information. I know where I can get those. I am of the opinion that only the Belevedere model had the trim up by the window line and thus across the back across the gate.  This vehicle is a 54 Belevedere..  

It's all coming together I just have to work a little harder and I'll have me a neat little wagon. Maybe I should paint it red and have someone paint "Radio Flyer" on the side. 

PP..again...I cannot comment specifically on any rear gate trim....the highline was the very application of the beltline...there are reported some 450 Savoy wagons....some claim they are just myth...the Savoy would have this optional to them..Some options were extended to the low line Plaza...I don't think there is an appointment on the Belvedere that was not optional to the Savoy..and there is dispute between proper application of the 54 badges even on some Belvedere models per what is on the road and what the option sheets says went to each specific model car..

Paul the yard by me had I think a couple 53-54s I think even 1 hardtop. I'm planning another trip in a week or two. Stay in touch. They also have 2 53-54 dodge wagons that might yield you a proper back seat but that's beyond my area for shipping something that huge and crushable.

Edit: and why not at least keep an eye out for the proper front clip? I think the car will retain more value with all its proper parts.

Shipping large pieces can be done Via Greyhound Bus Line.  I have also seen an ad for Fastenal shipping large items from store to store.  Just a thought...

They also have 2 53-54 dodge wagons that might yield you a proper back seat but that's beyond my area for shipping something that huge and crushable.

You just missed your shipping service. Right in the back with that sink. Darn near express service covering 400 miles a day :cool: