1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I just passed through the "dark side" into the "twilight zone" because I just bought this suburban. The bumpers are worth more than I paid for the entire 'roller'(no engine or tranny)  vehicle, so it's really a parts car for my vert, and includes extra 54 fenders and hood, and most of the trim.  Yet I Iike this body style and will store it for future consideration.

This is not a picture of mine, but it is the same car. My suburban looks new compared to my convertible, no sig rust, etc. Could go original patina, put a surf board on top, and head for the coast. Then get a good tan and fake the surfing stories, like I said, "the twilight zone"!.   

(to be continued)

53suburbanlightgree_zps2b3ca5cf.jpg

Edited by pflaming

The value of parts I need that are in this vehicle exceed what the car cost me and I have the car body for a future project or a Christmas give to Yound Ed. It will go into storage after I have picked what I need and I will concentrate on the convertible.  The car is in Fresno about 25 miles from me so a tow dolly will be sufficient to get it home.

It is a 54 which I like and has two sets of front fenders and hoods. The rocker panels are solid and the floors as well except for the front driver and passenger side. So. . . in a week or so watch the for sale list. Most of the stainless steel trim is in the car. If anyone needs a fuel tank, there is an extra.

53Suburban001_zps4cf01111.jpg

53Suburban002_zps62c2eec9.jpg

53Suburban003_zps9e42b23d.jpg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Nice find Paul. Are you trying to get a bulk discount on registration fees by running a 'fleet' of old MOPAR's? I hope that you have enough room to store all of these vehicles.

I agree with you mate on the value of parts. I try to snap up trucks whenever I see them at the right price.

Thats a upper line Savoy too! 1953-4 Wagon gas tanks are rare as hen's teeth that are good........$$$$$$$$$. If you need another Savoy wagon I have one too Paul. Then you could even be more of a  little busy bee! Make it a woodie..

Bob

post-302-0-58920000-1374943603_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-08476500-1374943616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The value of parts I need that are in this vehicle exceed what the car cost me and I have the car body for a future project or a Christmas give to Yound Ed. It will go into storage after I have picked what I need and I will concentrate on the convertible.  The car is in Fresno about 25 miles from me so a tow dolly will be sufficient to get it home.

It is a 54 which I like and has two sets of front fenders and hoods. The rocker panels are solid and the floors as well except for the front driver and passenger side. So. . . in a week or so watch the for sale list. Most of the stainless steel trim is in the car. If anyone needs a fuel tank, there is an extra.

Paul how did you know today is my birthday! Its so kind of you to get me a wagon to work on.

" . . . That's an upper line Savoy too!"  How can you tell from the pictures that it is an upper line?

I'm beginning to like this car more than the convertible. I bought this so quickly I didn't consult my wife. SO. . . gonna have to find some 'off campus' storage for a while or she may follow through on her threat to rent out my bedroom! Oh, the perils of the hobby. 

Oh yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUNG ED! 

Suburbanincoralcolor_zps0f0068c8.jpg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Paul,

I've got all the motor parts to build at least 2- 218's, a flywheel or two, maybe a std. trans bell. No trans though. A std 3 sp. should be relatively easy to find in your area. Perhaps the guy you got the vert. from. Just my 2cents!

You could pick them up in Sept. when you come up! ^_^

Save all you leftover pieces from the vert. and  bolt together a complete wagon and resell?? :rolleyes:

Do it all at your storage location without the wife knowing? Probably not!!  ;)

Best to ya,

Doug

" . . . That's an upper line Savoy too!" How can you tell from the pictures that it is an upper line?"

I owned and drove a 1953 top of the line Savoy wagon for 10 years. It had all the extra chrome inside and outside- the car you bought has the upper line rear taigate chrome hinges. Being that your wagon is a 1954 it's a upper line Belvedere wagon that replaces the 1953 Savoy models. More chrome nicer deluxe interior than the 1954 plain jane Plaza wagon.

Bob.

I see my suggestion for a "neighborhood watch group'" to keep an eye on you was well founded :o

This is what happens when Plymouthy, my mentor, leaves town and I'm on my own.  :huh:

Yes....well you can blame it on someone else if you so choose.......but no one (read Momma) is going to buy into that.

I am picturing a scene from the movie a Christmas Story......you are Ralphie and Mom is saying " boy are you going to get it now". And it seems to me that something similar is going to play out soon in your home. :lol:So long old friend.......

Honestly Paul......what's got into you? I think maybe you got a bad case of attention deficit disorder. One project at a time. Besides you already have a Pilothouse and there is no way any of these cars are going to turn out anywhere near as cool or as useful as a truck.

Jeff......shaking my head in disbelief  :rolleyes:

Murfman: Using 54 headlight rims is cool. I've never seen an all chromed cross piece in this grille. THAT IS SPECTACULAR, it makes the car look wider. Looks like you've lowered it some. How and how much? 

Jeff, so what's so wrong about ADD, Attention!  Dodge Disorder!  I just double my Zoloft dosage and all's well and at times being hard of hearing is very convenient, and if you add short term memory loss, well then it's hard to keep enemies and every day is a new car!  

• Like 1

Since I have gained Jeff's permission, and with suggestions from chat  to do the suburban first, I will now transition to the suburban.

It will be an "original patina" rebuild. In a long past thread someone posted a pic of a 53 suburban with an original patina exterior and surf board on the top. That is what I'm going to do so that my truck has a companion.

Gotta find an engine and tranny for this. Will use a standard flat head and three on the tree. Got a set located for $100  (less if I help pull it) so will check that out.  

". . . if snagging these cars from ruin/crusher makes you happy, keep your mind and heart pumping..they have served their purpose..entertainment and therapy all in one. . . "   From the sage Plymouthy! 

Edited by pflaming

Paul;

You are breaking the rules. Dont get another project until you complete the one you are working on. Just look at Plymouthy, I rest my case.

It is not good to REST too much...while I do have a few projects..none are on a time schedule and thus they keeps the "fun" in them..it is all about having fun, there is no law or rules that says you much must finish them all in x time..if snagging these cars from ruin/crusher make you happy, keep your mind and heart pumping..they have served their purpose..entertainment and therapy all in one..

Since I have gained Jeff's permission, and with suggestions from chat  to do the suburban first, I will now transition to the suburban.

It will be an "original patina" rebuild. In a long past thread someone posted a pic of a 53 suburban with an original patina exterior and surf board on the top. That is what I'm going to do so that my truck has a companion.

Gotta find an engine and tranny for this. Will use a standard flat head and three on the tree. Got a set located for $100  (less if I help pull it) so will check that out.  

". . . if snagging these cars from ruin/crusher makes you happy, keep your mind and heart pumping..they have served their purpose..entertainment and therapy all in one. . . "   From the sage Plymouthy! 

Paul;

Call it permission with a condition.......you gotta keep the truck!!! :lol:

Jeff

I once owned this 54 Plym wagon.  The guy who bought it from me, basically let it sit for 25 years under a carport and it

deteriorated from a nice driver to a rusty vehicle with broken glass and no motor.  He was going to rebuild the motor.  In

addition, this car even had overdrive.  In the picture, it is in the hands of an area fellow who deals old cars and parts.

He thought the buyer took it to the Kansas City area......so it may reappear some day in improved condition.

54PlymwagonatRiedigers9-03.jpg