Basic Turn Signal Question

Joe Flanagan

Does anyone know if turn signal levers were year/model-specific? I've seen a number of different styles and mounting arrangements. My 49 Special Deluxe came without them and I was wondering if there is anything particular I should be looking for if I wanted to get one that is historically accurate.

Joe unless you are going for a Plymouth factory one, I remember several diffeent brands and several different toggle designs. I gues my favorite from the era was the one that had the repeater bulb at the end of the lever. similar to this

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Turn-Signal-Switch,7012.html

I have one of these for my Studebaker truck

AutoLamp9000_SelfCancelling_TurnSignalSwitchAssy.JPG

There are probably as many different leers as there are manufacturers so it comes down to what you find and if you like it.

Here is the original one installed on my 52 you can also see the replacement aftermarket one,which is not historically correct. I have not checked out what is the problem with the original. It has PLYAL 55G marked on the ring that goes around the wheel

plydir1.jpg

plydir1a.jpg

Edited by oldmopar

Joe unless you are going for a Plymouth factory one, I remember several diffeent brands and several different toggle designs. I gues my favorite from the era was the one that had the repeater bulb at the end of the lever. similar to this

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Turn-Signal-Switch,7012.html

There are probably as many different leers as there are manufacturers so it comes down to what you find and if you like it.

Greg, the Speedway one looks like the one I'm putting in my '37. I found a place that has a mounting bracket and flasher for it. The wires on the flasher unit look like about 18 ga wire and on the flasher bracket it looks like 16 ga. I', going to use the "Hot Rod" type lights for the signals. They will probably have 16 ga pigtails. Will I have any problems connecting the two sizes of wires (operation wise)? I know I can solder the wire together, but will the lights/switch work ok?

are you 12 V?? Only thing you need to be aware of is the bulbs need to creat enough resistance for the flasher to heat up and flash. I think the little hot rod fixtures are 18 gauge.

Car is 6v. I'm using the medium sized lights (Dual filament). Comes as a 12 volt, but I have the 6 volt replacement bulbs and 6v flasher.

Ed;

Where can one find the factory deal?

Standard places. Parts cars, salvage yards, ebay etc. I'd have to check part #s to be sure but I believe 49-52 plymouth are all the same.

If you get an early aftermarket unit from the junkyard, many are self-canceling. There is a small rubber wheel in them that is drilled with an eccentric (offset) hole. Rides on the steering wheel base collar, as the wheel turns the signal gets shut off. My truck has had one since 49 or 50, when my grandpa had turn signals added. Works great if you get the height adjusted right.

Some tractor shops sell them as well, same style. About $60 or so. Older tractors need lights added if you take them on the paved road while changing fields you are working in.

And don't buy the square or rectangular "hot rod signals". Most are cheap Taiwanese junk that was designed to go on Japanese street bikes from the 70s and early 80s. Soft chrome, really cheap potmetal, really thin insulation.

Edited by Scruffy49

:confused:on ebay there is an accessory manuel for sale by SEAPLYM that supposedly lists an mopar turn signal for 1949-1950 mopar. don't still know if one was avail. for 49 plymouth or not. cost ya $19.49 to find out. if there's a part #, at least you would know what to look for.

ebay# 260763696350

happy hunting,

doug

I have a Signal Stat 800 in my Dodge.It is not self cancelling,but the end of the turn signal handle flashes indicating the turn signals are on.For another vehicle I have,I bought an NOS Signal Stat 900 complete with 6 volt flasher, fuse holder,etc for about $25.00 which I thought was reasonable.For safety I like the "Hazard" flasher feature on the 900.

One thing that is worthwhile considering and I believe P-12 Tommy suggested it, is painting the clear 6 volt lamp bulbs if you are using the front clear parking lens for signalling.I did it on my Dodge and it works great -highly visible.The paint Tom used is "Tamiya Color" - Clear Orange X-26. I bought it locally at a hobby supply shop,and as I remember about $3.00 for a small bottle and probably a lifetime supply.My .02 :)

post-423-13585362116456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe
Spelling error on Tamiya

I don't think there was a standard. They were all aftermarket items. Napa has one... Part #LIT 900 and there are many other sources.

55282.jpg

This is the one I have in my P15. I modified the front markers to have a 2 wire instead of the stock 1 wire lights. Now I have marker light and turn signals in the front. The rears came with 2 wire but I put new contacts in the sockets. This includes the center light. I put a bright bulb in that so people dont follow as close at night. So bright you can even see it really well in the daytime too.

Oh yeah! If you get one of these and want some bling... The 900 is black but the 901 should be chrome!

Edited by yourpc48