Show your tools.

Don Coatney

You can believe that if you want.  No way to test it though,  Can't open it to get a baseline then put it back on the shelf.

As for the tester collection moisture?  Really? 

not saying it collects moisture on the tester, but the dried contaminants/oxidation left on the probe leads could lead to a bad reading, found that with my soil tester that is built on the same principle is all.  I think in some regard the amount of moisture in the system over time is more prone to internal damage to components in form of long tern rust long before the daily use vehicle would ever experience brake fade or failure due to heat and moisture boil point.  Other white papers support this very thing but as you said, it often boils down to believe what you wish to go along with.    Below is another online paper.....while some of these facts below seem way out of order, I am sure in some cases of daily driven cars with faulty seals and reservoir lids, etc could contain some high levels of moisture.  While I find 30% saturation as very high, this they must be calling a worst case scenario....the 10 percent I would think more in line to an older very darkfluid whe the system is checked and exposed to the air frequently when checked often by an owner and why the reservoirs today are transparent so one can view these without exposing to the atmosphere directly.   While 10% could well display some fade and loss/spongy pedal I also agreed that the 3-5% max would be more to what you would likely find and would well be the flushing point.   We all know that scheduled changes will lead to longer life of metal components over the long haul.   

Percentage Fact In-depth Sentence
70% Amount of water absorbed by brake fluid Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it has the ability to absorb moisture from the air. This can lead to a decrease in brake performance and potentially damage the braking system.
30% Recommended maximum water content in brake fluid Most manufacturers recommend that brake fluid should not contain more than 3% water to maintain optimal performance.
0.5% Water content in new, unopened brake fluid Even new, unopened brake fluid may contain a small amount of water due to air exposure during production.
5% Water content in used brake fluid As brake fluid ages and is exposed to moisture, it can reach a water content of up to 5%. This can decrease the boiling point of the fluid and potentially cause brake failure.
10% Water content that can cause brake fluid to fail If brake fluid contains more than 10% water, it can cause corrosion and damage to the braking system, leading to potential brake failure.
3 years Recommended lifespan of brake fluid Brake fluid should be changed every 2-3 years, as it can absorb water over time and decrease in effectiveness.

I agree with changing out brake fluid periodically. I thought I’d  post on a tool that we all rely on. I’ve needed a good air compressor for years. I just couldn’t make the dive into spending a couple thousand for what I wanted. I have a school bus business next door. They had to replace their compressor. One day the secretary asked if I wanted the tank on a pallet outside. The motor was gone but the cage and grommets were there. I pulled the heads on the compressor and replaced the reed valves and head gaskets for $100, found a 5 hp. motor for $100, and changed the pulley to 9.250” on the motor. 21 cfm is what it seems to pump up to with a slower motor and larger pulley on the motor. I put it on wheels, so I can get it to various places in my home/shop. 80 gallon tank. So, for $300, I have a $2000.00 compressor. I was lucky that the heat didn’t hurt the rings on the pistons. My next favorite tool is my bead blaster cabinet, with a dust collector, instead of a shop vacuum. You can see my old Curtis compressor in the background. I only use glass beads, but the filter still needs periodic cleaning, for full suction/vacuuming of dust. You can tell by the suction on the gloves if the filter is clogging. Rick D.

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

TOOLBOX ARSENAL:

Brake pressure bleeder made from economy pump sprayer; the pressure gauge is the most expensive component.  Top off the reservoir, pump up to 15psi, crack open the bleed valves as required.  Happy accident is the adapter can be stowed between the pump handle and the tank collar...works waaay better than the old fashioned way :rolleyes:

large.20240515_200856.jpg.17a04273721611ea1800afe03171a777.jpg

large.20240515_200911.jpg.d609ed5504586f97f4ef1446237a8103.jpg

large.20240515_200921.jpg.5560e903b5c1394f3db25155d6745b73.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a recommendation for applying wax a little faster than by hand? I've got 64 and 66 Plymouth station wagons both in need of a good shining up before the Plymouth national meet 

I don't know, maybe challenge you wife to a race.......see if she can outdo the old man!  Trick here is to look like you are doing your best while she smokes you into the dirt.  Caution if this works at all, it likely will be a one time thing.  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

wow...been almost two years since I snagged this thing home and serviced it with a few new parts and tweak of the differential valve.  Son came over to help me move it to the barn high bay this afternoon (truth is I helped him) which is real close to where I will pour a foundation and lean-to shelter so to put this horse into operation and no have to dig and bury air lines from the compressor that is some 120 feet away.   Son is pretty big dude.....

IMG_1370.JPG

Travis.jpg

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

wow...been almost two years since I snagged this thing home and serviced it with a few new parts and tweak of the differential valve.  Son came over to help me move it to the barn high bay this afternoon (truth is I helped him) which is real close to where I will pour a foundation and lean-to shelter so to put this horse into operation and no have to dig and bury air lines from the compressor that is some 120 feet away.   Son is pretty big dude.....

IMG_1370.JPG

Travis.jpg

Two very useful pieces of equipment there. The human one certainly bears resemblance to his paternal line...

New toy, neighbor gave this to me saying he cannot think of a single need for this device.  Still NIB and wrappers still in place.  I will take special good care of this.  Goes with the more delicate tools and such I have on hand now.  I have a use for it now, may not use it till after I get a bit more done and company gone but definitely got an use for this.  

Teslong Endoscope 1.jpg

• Like 2