Ouch!

Barabbas

Last Feb I send George Asche a deposit for an Overdrive--I think I was third in line. A couple of weeks he called, he had it done. So I waited with great anticipation for it to arrive. Well it did...appears that Fed Ex decided to roll the tranny down hill or at least drop it off of a fork lift.:eek:

The Solenoid has a serious dent in it, the governor has chunks of plastic missing and one of the mounting ears was broken off of the case.

My question is: can I just have a new ear fabricated and welded on--or do I have to remove the internal parts first and then weld

Thx

Mike

post-6656-13585356335107_thumb.jpg

post-6656-13585356335699_thumb.jpg

Do some measuring first. They have 6 mounting holes but I'm pretty sure they only use 4 bolts. If the one that broke is one of the 4 you need perhaps drilling and tapping one of the two spots for unused bolts would get you by. I've heard of alot of these run with only 3 bolts because the one top one is a pain to install.

I've filed some paperwork but have to wait "5-7" business days before someone will call me back. Hopefully I will get reimbursed enough for a new Solenoid ....on the plus side, the brake, input shaft etc. have no dings or dents

I guess there is a reason behind that dash..but it surely escapes me as to what it could be...like giving a preschooler a box of 64 crayons..he is dang sure to use each one on the same picture..I keep looking to find a set of dog tags..

Edited by Tim Adams

I can hear the words they are responding with.

it is all shippers fault cause inadequate shipping crating/packaging

they arent going to cover NOTHING Been there done that. friend shipped computer to another friend,,INSURED,,and all. Looked like it was dropped at destination from 30,000 feet without aid of parachute. Said no coverage,we did nothing wrong.

If it was shipped in a cardboard box then you have nobody to blame but the guy who shipped it.

I bought two OD over the years, both came to me in cardboard. How does anyone expect to have cardboard last?

I have sold both of those units, and each time I crated the shipments in wood. With rope handles on each end. Never a problem.

They are heavy, do you really expect cardboard to carry that weight?

Edited by jd52cranbrook

The packing was a combination of Wood and Cardboard. O/D wired down on a board, then board and O/D put into a Cardboard box with a ton of Styrofoam peanuts. I agree a wood box would have prevented the damage---the only good news is that the OD is salvageable---worse case scenario is I'm out a couple of bills, best case is I'll have to wait a couple of weeks longer to drive on the interstate

The outside is a work of art--but the dash is priceless; the ol tin cup is perfect.

Let me guess, he has a 230 with high compression head, dual Ball & Ball carbs, dual exhaust with an overdrive

The old tin cup is used to get water from the sink that is located in a "pull-out" under the spigot on the dash. Engine is a full race 265 CI Crashler engine as pictured below. George drove this car to 142 MPH on the beach at Daytona in 1952.

GA1.jpg

GA2.jpg

As the proud owner of a 1939 DESOTO 4 DOOR SEDAN that I have tried to keep as original as possible it saden me to see this great example of the first year Desoto ruined. This was the first year for the Desoto and this is also a rare car. I can see changing the engine with some speed equipment but to ruin the dash and interior has deeply destroyed this car.

I know everyone has the right to customize their own car as they deem necessary but this has spolied a perfectly great car. If the ownere is a member of the forum I am not trying to put you down or critize you I just feel bad that the originality of this car was destroyed. I also do not know the condition that you first started with to restore the car and that might have someting to do with all of the customizations. This is jus my 2 cents on this subject.

As the proud owner of a 1939 DESOTO 4 DOOR SEDAN that I have tried to keep as original as possible it saden me to see this great example of the first year Desoto ruined. This was the first year for the Desoto and this is also a rare car. I can see changing the engine with some speed equipment but to ruin the dash and interior has deeply destroyed this car.

I know everyone has the right to customize their own car as they deem necessary but this has spolied a perfectly great car. If the ownere is a member of the forum I am not trying to put you down or critize you I just feel bad that the originality of this car was destroyed. I also do not know the condition that you first started with to restore the car and that might have someting to do with all of the customizations. This is jus my 2 cents on this subject.

You should drive over to Venus, Pa and meet George Asche and see his Desoto up close and personal. I think you would then have a better understanding of who he is and what he does. He has owned this Desoto for well over 50 years.

GA9.jpg

When George made those modifications, that DeSoto was just an other old car. In 1950, the average person wouldn't have given it a second look. It is no different than the folks that lament the Dukes of Hazzard for crashing all of those '69 Chargers. In 1978, a '69 Charger was just an old gas guzzler that folks couldn't give a way. I, personally, give George full props for what he's done. It would have been driven to death by some one else, and would have been Coke cans by now had George not gotten hold of it.

While I understand the beauty of an unrestored car and its historical value, I doubt there is a forum member who cherishes his car more than George.

A few years ago, George sent me a card with the DeSoto on the front. The inscription inside reads:

This car is not original. It has been saved or born again to meet my desires. Its owner is not original either. I have been saved or born again to meet God's desires.

There is not another car like this one. There is not another person just like you or me.

To me, there is no other way to travel for fun, than with this car. There is no other way to get to heaven that by Jessus Christ. He is the straight and narrow road.

I bought this car in 1950 and paid $150.00 for it. God bought me in 1965 and paid the life and blood of his only begotten son for me.

I enjoy this car and thank God for it, and the ability He has given me to restore it. I hope you have or will receive a car that you enjoy, and thank God for it, but these words are written in hope that you may received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Dear fellow Form members,

I am not putting down George, please understand that. As I stated in my post I do not know the full background or history of the car. It was just hard for me to look at the interior and see all of the changes that George had done to the car. The modifications to the engine with the dual carb and alternator are great for a better driving car but the change to the dash are hard to understand. These changes to me do not enhance the car but take away fromthe car.

If George would like to comment please do. I would like to hear from him as to why he did all that he did to the car. I am not against him please understand that. I do not know why he did what he did and for what reason.

George please add your comments. I would like to hear from you since I am a Desoto owner also.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

QUOTE=Reg Evans;209408]George does not use a computer.

now would be a good time for him to upgrade that dash with a USB port..

And another chuckle :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

• 4 weeks later...

The O/D is in and running fine--almost. :) The govenor doesn't work, but I have a manual switch to override. I had her out over the weekend-about 250 mile trip. She runs quiet now at 65 and is able to keep up with the big boys

Young Ed was right, the broken mounting ear wasn't needed-so no harm no foul. Fed EX took just a week to send me a check to cover the broken Govenor and solenoid. The solenoid is in and I will be ordering a new Gov from George. In the end all I lost was a little time--now I'm looking forward to longer road trips