Looking For Or Selling Parts?

Post your request in the free classifieds section, not the general forums! Ads in the general forums will be deleted.

Photo
- - - - -

New Wiring For 1948 Dodge Truck

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Craig107

Craig107

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hello all! I am the proud new owner of 1948 Dodge B-1. It's a pretty solid vehicle with just a few issues; the major one is the electrical. The car runs and drives great but all the lights do not work. The wiring is original and should probably be replaced. I want to keep it a 6volt as well. What are your suggestions on wiring harnesses? Also how tough of a job is this to do on my own? If I have a pro do it how much would I cost? Sorry for all the questions but I'm excited o get started on this awesome truck!

#2 pflaming

pflaming

Addicted to old cars and how they were made

• Members
  • 5,196 posts
  • LocationReedley, California
  • My Project Cars:1952 B3B Pickup
    1953 Plymouth Suburban - have two
    1954 Plymouth Suburban

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've wired two vehicles, 52 truck/ 53 car. Harnesses are not difficult only time consuming. There isn't much wiring on that truck. Go for it and spend the wiring money on front disc brakes.

I wish you well. 

Paul 

#3 ggdad1951

ggdad1951

Zen Master, I breathe vintage mopar!

• Moderators
  • 4,732 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Welcome!   I used RIWire.com to redo my truck, spendy, but a complete harness that was super easy to install.

restored great granddad's B-3-D: were did my money go?  It's now going into TODD and the COE!

FEF  ||  TODD Build  ||  COE Project  ||  Building a Wood Bed  || Setting Split Rivets  ||  Caboose Project  ||  Door Lock Mount Rebuild

#4 Plymouthy Adams

Plymouthy Adams

A.L.F.

• Members
  • 20,144 posts
  • LocationSouthern US

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Its just money...

Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

#5 Desotodav

Desotodav

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Welcome aboard Craig. Be sure to post some photos of your truck. Try this link for great wiring info provided by Alan... http://api.viglink.c...13702140513019 

Desotodav

#6 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,726 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN
  • My Project Cars:40 Plymouth PT105 1/2ton, 46 Dodge WC 1/2 ton, 48 Plymouth club coupe

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Unless you are going for a perfect original restoration I would suggest making your own. You can do it yourself for about 10% of what buying an entire new harness would cost. Pull it out intact and redo it one wire at a time.

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." Captain Lance Murdock
Ed J

#7 Craig107

Craig107

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

So I've decided to do the wiring on my own.  I admit I know very very little when it comes to vehicles but thats the reason why I wanted an old truck...to expand my abilities.  I'm not sure how I would even go about making my own wires so any help on that would be awesome (like where to buy and what to buy etc).  I've also been looking around at full harness kits and I am not sure which one I would need if I go that route.  Here a few links of harnesses I'm looking at.  What would work best?  Thanks for all the help! 

http://www.kwikwire....rd Harness.html

http://www.painlessp...=Classic Trucks

3Gb3Ib3H55N45Kd5F4d5l97cf20fa99771666.jp

#8 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,726 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN
  • My Project Cars:40 Plymouth PT105 1/2ton, 46 Dodge WC 1/2 ton, 48 Plymouth club coupe

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I think you will find that both of those aren't geared towards either 6v operation or retention of your stock column etc. They are set for street rods with modern columns.

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." Captain Lance Murdock
Ed J

#9 Craig107

Craig107

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Young Ed! I'm def trying figure this stuff out!

#10 Young Ed

Young Ed

• Members
  • 15,726 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Young Ed! I'm def trying figure this stuff out!

A few pics from my wiring project. You can't pull the entire dash out in your truck like I did but you could leave everything attached to the gauge pod and pull it that way.

dashproject4.jpg

dashproject13.jpg

Ed J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users