Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Cowl Vent Gaskets Revisited . . . Again

Daves in Bananaland......lol..........oops........will go sit in the corner..........I must be a good boy, I must be a good boy, I must be a good boy..........but yeh I thought it was bog stock too........why the engineer?............andyd

You're a bad boy Andy D!!!.. LOL... You are right Ryan, things are similar here in 'banana bending' Queensland. I just have to get the tick of approval from a Certified Inspector because I haven't modified the truck. We have a family friend that is an Engineer and Certified Inspector. I'd like to think that I won't have any problems due to the time and effort that I've put in to the rebuild. This might have been a different story had I have strayed away from 'original' in any way, shape or form! I had a mate that had to close in his rear corner windows and weld up his cowl vent to please the Inspector enough to register his (modified) 54 Dodge truck.

I'm glad that we don't run along the same system as your people over there Hank. I can register my truck here on 'club' registration (limited use) for about $190 per year, or on full registration (unlimited use) for around $800 per year - with no back charges applicable.

Desotodav

As far as the inspector who made your mate close the corners windows and weld up the cowboy air air conditioner goes, that is total unacceptable chicken sh*t. Some one should drop him off in the outback with no water or something like that. For $800 a year I think you could register a Ferrari here in the States. My truck’s registration cost $89.

Hank

Hank, that is disgustingly cheap..$89 Bucks!:eek: Thats what it will cost me to fill up...

Your country's new with dirt roads everywhere so I guess the government needs every penny they can get to pave new roads and build new highways. Here in the States our infrastructure is rotting and our government figures they can get away with just filling in potholes, so what if a bridge collapses and 10 people die! Ten, 1 million dollar settlements is a whole lot cheaper than building a whole new bridge!

Hank

Remember when you see what the middle east looks like, they had to start somewhere!

Another job to take of the list of things to do. Thanks for the heads up guys. I chopped the two weatherstrips that I had and made one to fit the channel. I'll give it a couple of days to dry and then install the lid.

I wonder if those who supply the part (23-61-110 'weatherstrip') have any intention to supply them in the correct length? One can only wish!

Desotodav

post-7583-13585362278765_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585362279079_thumb.jpg

I have a B3B, the cowl Gasket I got was from Ebay . The user name is , fmmpar [ he has some on right now]

AMS Obsolete ,

13459 Farmount Hwy. SE

PO Box 621

Fairmount, GA. 30139

This Gasket fits like a glove, one piece, NO cutting , a little glue and your good to go... Hope this helps Carl :)

Edited by carl b51
more info.

I have a B3B, the cowl Gasket I got was from Ebay . The user name is , fmmpar [ he has some on right now]

AMS Obsolete ,

13459 Farmount Hwy. SE

PO Box 621

Fairmount, GA. 30139

This Gasket fits like a glove, one piece, NO cutting , a little glue and your good to go... Hope this helps Carl :)

yah, I think that's where I got mine as well, I don;t have it installed yet, but it lays in real nice!

yah, I think that's where I got mine as well, I don;t have it installed yet, but it lays in real nice!

Is this gasket the solid rubber type or the rubber-covered sponge foam type (like a door weatherstrip)?

I believe the original was the foam type, which would work better considering the common alignment and adjustment problems on most vents.

Thanks,

It is the foam type and the curves are perfect it fits Great, it looks just like the original.... Carl :)

Great...thanks. I might be tempted to replace the new one I got from VPW. It looks good but doesn't seal completely. When it rains it leaks.

I ended up getting the seal from "fmmpar" on ebay which is actually AMS Obsolete. The sell a lot of other parts for B-Series trucks too.

I noticed the DPCD letters cast into their seal and asked them about it - turns out they aquired original molds and are making new seals from this, hence the good fit. Only problem now is I'm having a tough time getting the weatherstrip adhesive to stick to the rubber.

post-3764-1358536248844_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585362489433_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

ok, was GOING to install the cowl vent tonight...seems it might be a 2 person job? Or do you set the vent first and then install the seal?

thanks in advance!

I just stuck my seal in with a bit of Sikaflex Mark. I installed the vent lid a couple of days later. Definitely not a 2-man job mate! You will give your contortionist skills a workout though when you are up under the dash area trying to fix the vent in place!

Desotodav

ok, was GOING to install the cowl vent tonight...seems it might be a 2 person job? Or do you set the vent first and then install the seal?

thanks in advance!

with a cut-to-correct-length seal, you could probably do it with the vent cover installed. with the "closed" seal, it would be difficult (impossible??) to install the seal with the vent cover in place.

Use some good 3M weatherstrip adhesive and glue it down with the cover off. The vent can be set in place with some weights on it till it sets up, then you can putz with getting the cover installed!

ok, I think I've got it in...face up against the dash, both hands up underneath, doing everything by feel while watching to make sure it's sitting right on the outside. While it can be done with one person, I truely think 2 would make it much easier! Using the cover to hold down the gasket.

Now for the million dollar question, if I try to open it all the way, my temp gauge capilary is in the way. Should that route up and over? Major pain if I have to do that!

thanks!

Edited by ggdad1951

I actually have the speaker gill off so I used that for the passenger side, but gotta be carefull, there is an SHARP edge in there (as my arm con contest to). Drivers side was the contortionist route since I didn't want to pull the speedo (again). Oddly, my back has been giving me fits and laying on the floor wasn't an option, but doing it like I did managed to crack my back once by accident and relieve the pain for a little while.

I thought the vent opened more but it was all the way open so I just move teh temp sender out of the way for now. If I need to re-route it will be a winter project.

thanks all! Looks good in there!

Don,

I know your cars have a bug screen incorporated in the cowl vent, an amenity that the MoPar gods saw fit to delete from Pilothouse trucks. Go figure . . . :)

D

Mopar took this styling cue from farmers..they learned that if the bug screen was off and driving to town through/along the farm fields, the wife would not be as prone to run her mouth for fear of bugs...well, thats my take on it anyway..!

Mopar took this styling cue from farmers..they learned that if the bug screen was off and driving to town through/along the farm fields, the wife would not be as prone to run her mouth for fear of bugs...well, thats my take on it anyway..!

I got you pilot house guys beat! The job rated series not only doesn't have a screen on the cowl vent but the windshield opens a 3-4 inches.